Author Topic: Ice axes  (Read 3255 times)

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice axes
« on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Does anybody here pack ice axes for rescue? Was helping a neighbor move and he gave me a pair of very nice ice axes since hes moving to Cali and wont need them anymore. Thought they might not be bad to have in the sled on a rope to slide out to somebody if they went through or use as an anchor to help pull from. Any thoughts? Waste of space and weight?
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice axes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 06:56 PM »
I really can't see any advantage over picks. Picks are smaller, and you always have them. These would be to slide to someone else, and if you have a buddy not in the water, a rope is better. They are a specific tool for a specific job.

Offline Owentstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:24 AM »
"I really can't see any advantage over picks. Picks are smaller, and you always have them. These would be to slide to someone else, and if you have a buddy not in the water, a rope is better. They are a specific tool for a specific job."

Thanks, man! Will keep that in mind.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:34 PM »
I've always wanted one, just for the, having one.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2019, 09:43 AM »
ice picks are better. They are smaller and you wear them around your neck incase you do go in. If you are in a hole and can't get out, an axe in your sled will do you no good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.