The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lakers off the sandbar  (Read 3221 times)

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
Lakers off the sandbar
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Just wanted to see if you guys rran into the same thing I did.  I fished off the south side of the sandbar where the river comes in on the drop.  Set up my tip ups ffrom about 6 ft out into about 15-20 ft.  Caught a couple of hog lakers.  I was trying to fish for pike/walleye but that didn't seem to happen.  It was fun pulling them in anyways, just wasn't expecting it.

Offline fishandbeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakers off the sandbar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:25 AM »
The outer bay always produces hog lakers like that. I have heard that the walleye guys catch them over that way quite a bit. The biggest lakers I have ever caught through the ice were caught accross the bay over by the railroad fill. When I fish over there, I use my depth finder and find the 20 foot drop off and keep my lines at that depth, and fish just under the ice. If you fish to deep you will be bothered by big perch. If you set up to shallow you catch northerns and pickeral. That whole section of the bay is pretty cool as you never know what you have on when the flag pops up. 

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Thats a little secret that not allot of people know about.  ;) My largest out there while i was setting up for eyes was about 12 lbs. Here's a small one i caught out there last year.

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Nice fish :thumbsup:

Offline Gezzah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008, 11:54 AM »
Where do park when you fish the south side of the sandbar??
"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I usually park right there at the access and hoof it all the way out there.  If there is a lot of snow and no road out there it can be a rough walk but I think it is worth getting out there.  I always have great luck, you never know what you are gonna get.  Walleyes are tough!!!

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Where do park when you fish the south side of the sandbar??
I hate walking, thats why i have 4-wheel drive

Offline lester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I've fished out there a couple of times, targeting perch.  Never caught a laker,  but have seen some hog walleyes taken.  A word of caution though, to those who've never ventured out there:  carry a spud and check the ice as you get close to the river's mouth.  First time I went there I came across a guy set up w/ tip-ups for walleye.  He was set up in a line runing east/west and as I approached him he cautioned me against crossing thru his set-up.  I asked why and he took me to a hole he'd drilled where the ice was only 2-3" thick.  It was MAYBE 10 yards from his setup where the ice was 12" thick.  That's what that current coming out of the river will do.

Lester

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:53 PM »
I think it was just 2 maybe 3 years ago the ice was not a problem we could drive from Mallets bay to the river and not think about it. People would be out there in trailers and everthing. them were the good days its funny how it changes so much from year to year....jim s

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:05 PM »
we drove out last year and the year before...........there was a crapload of ice.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Ive already drove out to clay point and back. its all the same ice.

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:33 AM »
when you set up for walleye out there, how close to the river do you usually get and when in your opinion is the best time to be there? 

Everyone seems to tell me the best time is as close to ice out and as close to the river as you can get (sketchy) but the only time i have caught walleye out there i was fishing 1/2 mile from the riveer mouth and in about 8-15ft of water......

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Ive had good luck for walleye all around the mouth of the river. The trick is to stay shallow at night 10 fow or less

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:01 PM »
FS, is this through the ice??

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:18 PM »
yep, all at night, on the ice. Ive never caught a walleye there before 7 p.m.

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Do you ever have any luck catching anything else out there at night?  Lakers, Pike?   I think I might give it a shot this weekend, not stay all night but for a good amount of it.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:33 PM »
There was a friend of mine that was fishing out there saturday and caught a 13 lb pike. Ive caught salmon, browns, lakers, walleye perch all out there

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:54 PM »
wow, thats great to hear, you gotta love that spot....you never know what is comeing up the hole.  You gonna be around this weekend fishstalker?

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:05 PM »
I probably wont go out there this weekend, but im definatly gonna be out there next weekend.

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:49 PM »
ayone know how the ice is out there?  can you drive on it?

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:59 PM »
its 1 foot out there, but if you drive take it slow. There are a bunch of pressure cracks that go from point to point.

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2008, 03:14 PM »
thanks, ill be out on saturday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.