The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vermont VTFWD Fishing Reports  (Read 4848 times)

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vermont VTFWD Fishing Reports
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:34 PM »
I read some of the fishing reports.  There was no spot-burning.  They had a nice, community feel to them, too.
If I had anything good to report, I'd be in.

Nice work, Shawn.
Thank you troutcrazy, I appreciate it.  As I've said before, I think we all should take it upon ourselves to mentor new folks into the sport, and these reports are one way I hope to help people who'd like to start fishing but need some help along the way.  Not looking to burn anyone's spots.  I try to make them a fun and informative read, as well.  Some people get it, some don't. 

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Well said Vtfishbio.  Thanks for all you do!!
Thanks fishermarsh!  I do what I can to get people excited and motivated to try fishing, and keep fishing!  Without success, people who are new aren't going to keep at it.

Shawn

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Shawn Good- Thank you for everything you have done and do to promote fishing in Vermont whether it be on ice or open water!  I enjoy reading your reports and support your enthusiasm to share the love and knowledge of our cherished sport of fishing with everyone- regardless of their zip or area code.
Shirefisher - I agree.  There are multi-generational Vermonters out there who don't fish.  And people who want to visit VT and give it a go as well.  I don't see the difference.  I want everyone to discover how great and fun fishing is!

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:41 PM »
This may be your experience, but it's not mine. I have gotten many of my friends and acquaintances, who have had no prior experience, into fishing (and to a lesser degree, hunting) just based on them getting excited when I tell them my own tales.  You don't need to be "born into it" to understand the benefits of these activities, let alone be a "Vermont Native". The answer to this issue is to try and grow the number of people hunting and fishing, and to that end, popularizing the sports is a noble pursuit. This can be done without "blowing spots" and I think the VTF&W fishing reports strikes a good balance in this regard.
Nice work, taking it upon yourself to help others discover what many of us anglers (and hunters) take for granted.  I've take so many people out fishing for their first time ever, and when they hook and battle a fish it gets my heart racing more than hooking and fighting one myself.  I've given up casting and catching fish time and time again, in order to give them first shot at the best spot where I know they're going to get a hit, and that makes it all worthwhile when I see how into it they get.

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Nothing but respect for Shawn Good and The Fishing Weatherman... both have helped me further my knowledge of fishing in Vermont. Thankful for both of you!

I share the sentiment of the more the merrier. As long as you're not littering or abusing the resource, you're good in my book!
Much appreciated John.  It's one of the things I like most about my job.  Helping others, whether it's answering questions on fish biology, habitat, or pointing people towards a good spot to try fishing for something they've maybe never caught.

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:47 PM »
I have been at this game for many decades. I am 71 but still get out almost every day both open water and hard water. I welcome newcomers and always try to help them out with both equipment and spots to fish. Everyone of us was new at hunting and fishing at some point. I benefited by being taught by some unselfish sportsmen some of which were relatives while others were just friends. When you give information you get information. That's the way I was taught.
Champlain Islander - you're exactly right.  Myself and probably most of us on this forum and others like it probably got started because our Dad's and Granddad's dragged us out of bed at 5am on a Saturday morning when we were kids and took us fishing.  Like it or not, that's the minority now.  Lifestyles have changed, people lead busier lives than ever, more people grow up and live in urban environments ... there's a long list of reasons, but the bottom line is that those folks that didn't grow up like we did need to have help.  They need to be shown the way, in other words, by someone like you, or me, or any avid angler here.  Otherwise, participation in our sport will die out in 50 years.

Offline VTFishBio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 04, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Shawn   your a super and devout biologist.  I love your reports and look forward to many more.  Sorry if it seems that that there are a few sour grapes among otherwise happy fishermen.
Dick
Thank you Dick.  I have to say, as the activity on this thread has grown, the naysayers have fallen into the minority, and that's heartening to see.  I actually think some of those who initially voiced opposition realize deep down what I've said and others have echoed is true.  We all need to help others.

Look out for a new program I'm hoping to introduce this coming year to create a Mentorship Program for VT anglers to sign up and help recruit new anglers - young and old.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Look out for a new program I'm hoping to introduce this coming year to create a Mentorship Program for VT anglers to sign up and help recruit new anglers - young and old.

I'm in! I've been thinking about opening a weekly seminar at our local library for the purpose of getting people interested in the true localvore activities of fishing and hunting. I think for many folks who are new to these activities, it can be overwhelming without proper direction and training.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:05 PM »
I'm in! I've been thinking about opening a weekly seminar at our local library for the purpose of getting people interested in the true localvore activities of fishing and hunting. I think for many folks who are new to these activities, it can be overwhelming without proper direction and training.

Mentorship program is a great idea! I really enjoy getting friends out for their first ice trip (or fishing trip). I'm hoping the decent forecast for Sunday holds, my daughter is excited to take two of her friends out for their first time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.