The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St. Albans Bay/ Surrounding area  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Albans Bay/ Surrounding area
« on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:49 PM »
I've never fished further north than the Addison bridge on Champlain and never even caught a white perch through the ice. A buddy of mine who has never gone before wants to go and live up in the Burlington area so I figured we'd go out and see if we can catch some perch. I'm open to just about anywhere since I've never fished that area before but from what I've read I figured I'd give St. Albans bay a try. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction to try and catch some and if theres even ice! If there isn't any now we'll be sure to try it next week after this cold front.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: St. Albans Bay/ Surrounding area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:43 PM »
My buddy smelty88 checked the ice on the bay on saturday, he said 3-4 inches. it was wicked warm yesterday so I would guess best to wait till this weekend, as what was there I am sure will break up with this wind. but once weekend is here and its been -15 for a couple days the bay is a good place. the key is mobility. it has all kinds of fish, just gotta get on them. If you have a flasher bring it, and cover ground. bayside bait and tackle is a good spot to get info on what jigs are working this year, and also hot spots.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:12 PM »
I've never fished further north than the Addison bridge on Champlain and never even caught a white perch through the ice. A buddy of mine who has never gone before wants to go and live up in the Burlington area so I figured we'd go out and see if we can catch some perch. I'm open to just about anywhere since I've never fished that area before but from what I've read I figured I'd give St. Albans bay a try. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction to try and catch some and if theres even ice! If there isn't any now we'll be sure to try it next week after this cold front.

Alot of good water in there and a lot of fish if you can find them!  A flasher is a huge help out there, especially for white perch that can be suspended. I'm hoping to get out there sometime soon. Spent a lot of time there last year and had a blast.  Anywhere you go there can be good. I heard of a lot of panfish in close to shore last Winter.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:20 PM »
My LX-7 Will actually be here tomorrow or Wednesday!  ;D  Never used a flasher before or seen one used in person so it'll be a huge learning experience for me. We're going to wait for the weekend based on what you just told me. No reason to risk going through. Never been to Bayside but I do plan on stopping there on the way up. When you say "all kinds of fish" what do you mean? I have no idea the depth of the bay so no idea what it holds. I'll probably only fish it a few times this winter with it being a 2 hour drive from my place by Lake Hortonia, but hopefully we can find them! 

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:40 PM »
All kinds= lots of fish, and also lots of species. every single drop down the hole is a mystery in terms of species. ST A bay has almost every species found in champlain, from perch to pike, to bowfin, etc. It is one of the best parts of fishing Champlain.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:39 PM »
All kinds= lots of fish, and also lots of species. every single drop down the hole is a mystery in terms of species. ST A bay has almost every species found in champlain, from perch to pike, to bowfin, etc. It is one of the best parts of fishing Champlain.

Wow that's awesome! Can't wait to get out. is it deep enough to hold trout too? We actually are planned for either next sunday or monday depending on which of the days looks better. Give it the week to really lock up.

Offline pikeslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:37 PM »
St. Albans Bay is a pretty good spot to find White Perch. Just look for the neighborhood of shanties and thats where they're located  :P

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:44 AM »
I have never caught trout in there, but I believe people have caught browns and bows... the mill? river flows into it and there is a big run of trout through the bay every spring up the river to spawn, I am sure that some stay in the bay during the winter.

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:37 AM »
i  seen a guy catch a 12 pound lake trout jigging white perch

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:16 AM »
I have never caught trout in there, but I believe people have caught browns and bows... the mill? river flows into it and there is a big run of trout through the bay every spring up the river to spawn, I am sure that some stay in the bay during the winter.

Correct. A friend of mine caught a salmon last year while fishing whites. I saw many people catch big smallies as well. The area around the mouth of the river is very shallow though, so it's a shot in the dark as to where those fish are.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:47 PM »
i live pretty much right on the bay, as KM said you can pretty much catch anything in the bay. i know of people catching walleye, trout, even ell off the dock. There is still some ice left after the warm weather that we had on sunday i walked out 50 yards off the shore by the bridge and there was 3- 3 1/2 at most warm weather im sure killed most of what was there. that ice didnt go out far anyways island way out is not frozen up yet. give it this cold stretch and we sould be able to fish it depending on the wind!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline NNYeyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Has Anyone had any luck with pike around Lazy Lady. If so Georgia or Hathaway side. Taking the kids and need to keep them occupied. Never fished the bay any advice would be appreciated. :-\

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I have not fished out by the lady that much for pike but if you fish the north side shore line you should hook into some. If you are planning on going soon i would be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with the kids as most of the bay has not been frozen. IF you take a line and draw it from were the mill river is and draw it up NWN to were the shore pokes out everything west of that line was/has been wide open, so will be new ice and may not be that thick/safe yet.

Offline NNYeyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Much appreciated!

Offline pikeslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:38 PM »

During the summer a few years ago, I caught a nice brown near the St. A Bay boat launch. Was wicked surprised.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Browns are so unpredictable and can actually live in some froggyish water so that doesn't surprise me. Did it have any size? 

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:49 PM »

Bay is looking good, drove out hathaway point and its locked up as far out as i could see, drove up maquam towards birdcrap island and the whole lake looks locked!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D GOOD STUFF!!

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:53 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Bay is looking good, drove out hathaway point and its locked up as far out as i could see, drove up maquam towards bird**** island and the whole lake looks locked!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D GOOD STUFF!!

Looks good! I'm hoping to be out there Monday!

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:59 PM »
how about an ice thickness check a few hundred yards out?  ;D

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:04 PM »
how about an ice thickness check a few hundred yards out?  ;D

didnt have my auger in the jeep on my way home from work other wise i would have, hope tomorrow to get some thickness checks at some point! maybe even fish for a little bit if i have time!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Anyone been out on the Bay today to check the ice?? Trying to get out there tomorrow if she's safe!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:23 AM »
didnt have my auger in the jeep on my way home from work other wise i would have, hope tomorrow to get some thickness checks at some point! maybe even fish for a little bit if i have time!

Let us know whatcha got but be safe!

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:32 PM »
went out today for  about an hour, went out about 150 yards and had 5 1/2- 6 inches of solid clear black ice! only fished for a little bit caught half dozen perch only two worth keeping!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I wonder how far it's safe though. Any idea how the ice is out near kilkare?  Whered you access from?

Offline srobat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Fished off hathaways today about 5-1/2" of solid ice. Saw a group of three make it about half way to the green can from the ledges.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:49 PM »
howd ya do no need for to much info just what ya got
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:08 AM »
thanks Smelty looking forward to long weekend next week cant wait to fire up my Propane auger!!!

Offline NNYeyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Wondering how the bite is on St. Albans. I have one day to fish next week and don't want to waste my time if know ones catching much. Thanks

Offline srobat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:41 PM »
howd ya do no need for to much info just what ya got
Mostly small yellow perch.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I went out today and probably walked a good 4 miles, cutting holes everywhere. Only manages to find a couple dink yellows. Not looking like last year at all. There was 5-6" of black ice, even over 40+ FOW. People were catching yellows of all sizes in 7-10 FOW.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.