Author Topic: Not making ice!!  (Read 3220 times)

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not making ice!!
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:24 PM »
Checked Brewster Beach the last two mornings. Sad. Only about a half inch maybe an inch.  Two whacks with the spud and that's it. Spider webbed as I tried to walk on it.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Not making ice!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:28 PM »
And its just getting warmer  :(
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 02:31 PM »
I've been on 4 ponds in the last week. 2 good size ponds just near 125 and Rt 4 wer just fine, a small pond in Nashua was thin but safe, my home water in Pelham was half open and the rest totally unsafe. Fingers crossed this supposed polar vortex cold gets here quick!
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:15 PM »
No more ice in mountains?   Teens at night don't seem to help. 10 and 20 below seem to be a thing of the past

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:20 PM »
I’m going to work all weekend, there is nothing I want to fish ready
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Rain and above freezing temperatures this weekend. Not good!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:43 PM »
I'm bummed about Saturday's forecast. Every year I take a young girl (she went to school with my daughter) for our annual icefishing trip. She isn't into fishing enough to buy a license, so we do it on free fishing day. Maybe I'll treat her to a day pass and we can do it next weekend.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Temps after this weekend look promising. Let’s see where it goes.
Tight Lines!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Sad, I was able to kick out some 4.5 inch holes this AM that I drilled 2 mornings ago, we need some below zero nights!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 03:55 PM »
fak....its 45 degrees here and we had wind gust that hit 125 mph today. this weather is BS.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:42 PM »
fak....its 45 degrees here and we had wind gust that hit 125 mph today. this weather is BS.

Ouch, I thought our forecast was bad....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:45 PM »
45* and sunny here. I said screw it and went out on the deck, hit the grill with a 10 oz ribeye.  :P

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:54 PM »
If the ice situation stays as bad as it has been, I might break out the open water gear and do that instead.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:56 PM »
If the ice situation stays as bad as it has been, I might break out the open water gear and do that instead.

Wish we had that option where there isn’t ice.

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Wish we had that option where there isn’t ice.

I’m sure this has been kicked around a million times but I’ve never heard of that.

I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong, I’ve seen you’re a legend around here! Is it the same kind of law like how certain waters only allow two lines? If there’s a CO on here I apologize and hope the statute of limitations has expired 😬
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:18 PM »
you have to be the biggest downer crybaby b***h ice shanty and myfishfinder has ever seen. Dont go out and look for ice just cry about everything.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I’m sure this has been kicked around a million times but I’ve never heard of that.

I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong, I’ve seen you’re a legend around here! Is it the same kind of law like how certain waters only allow two lines? If there’s a CO on here I apologize and hope the statute of limitations has expired 😬

There are places you can do it, but like I said in the lakes where there ISN’T ice ( yes the 2 trappers where most of those lakes aren’t near covered overall) it’s not legal until 4/1

And many you can do it on a good portion of us don’t want to fish them because of what they have to offer

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:24 PM »
So basically what I’m getting at is any managed waters excluding designated trout ponds (which don’t open til the 4th Saturday in April) you can not open water fish until 4/1

Most of the ones you can open water fish have to much ice to get a boat in or shore fish from but yet not enough to ice fish where you need to be.

There are spots obviously I’ve been 4 times already just not perfect yet

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:55 PM »
you have to be the biggest downer crybaby b***h ice shanty and myfishfinder has ever seen. Dont go out and look for ice just cry about everything.

I need a therapist after reading this....how do you really feel vin?

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:07 PM »
AA,

Some years ago while fishing Granite Lake, i was about 15 yards from the outlet standing on about a foot ++ of ice.
Between me and the damn was open water. I was very near the edge using a jigging rod and along came a F& G officer. He gave me a lecture but no ticket. I had told him i was jigging and not casting but he simply advised me to move away from that area

John

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:18 PM »
AA,

Some years ago while fishing Granite Lake, i was about 15 yards from the outlet standing on about a foot ++ of ice.
Between me and the damn was open water. I was very near the edge using a jigging rod and along came a F& G officer. He gave me a lecture but no ticket. I had told him i was jigging and not casting but he simply advised me to move away from that area

John

I have gotten the same lecture John, I believe I posted the story on here before. I was thankful for the warning and I learned from it. Basically what it boils down to is it needs to be a man made hole through the ice you are fishing.

I got a warning as a teen for thinking I was smart and running a ladder from the shore to the 1 foot thick ice that was 15 feet away and setting up traps between the rungs  of the ladder LOL! I thought it was genius. I truly didn’t know it was illegal

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:21 PM »
I need a therapist after reading this....how do you really feel vin?
that it won't matter ice conditions hes going to be busy blowing biden for saving the planet

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:24 PM »
that it won't matter ice conditions hes going to be busy blowing biden for saving the planet

Ha....I think he may have to get in line.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:37 PM »
I can't wait for Biden to be President. He promised that tackling the climate chaos would be his top priority, and he even put John Kerry in charge of it. We should be looking at safe ice from Labor Day to Memorial Day from now on, starting next year. Sorry for those of you that fish trout ponds once they open up.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:44 PM »
 ;)2
I can't wait for Biden to be President. He promised that tackling the climate chaos would be his top priority, and he even put John Kerry in charge of it. We should be looking at safe ice from Labor Day to Memorial Day from now on, starting next year. Sorry for those of you that fish trout ponds once they open up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:31 PM »
I have gotten the same lecture John, I believe I posted the story on here before. I was thankful for the warning and I learned from it. Basically what it boils down to is it needs to be a man made hole through the ice you are fishing.

I got a warning as a teen for thinking I was smart and running a ladder from the shore to the 1 foot thick ice that was 15 feet away and setting up traps between the rungs  of the ladder LOL! I thought it was genius. I truly didn’t know it was illegal
That is genius.  I agree the law is dumb. You can legally take 2 trout all winter now everyday on the 2 trap Lakes but only if there is ice. What's the difference  ? Also I know for a fact certain streams that flow into said lakes have big trout that swim up from the lake . Pretty soon those streams are open to take fish through open water.   Not sure I understand the logic.  Gonna be interesting for the derby. 
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:35 PM »
That is genius.  I agree the law is dumb. You can legally take 2 trout all winter now everyday on the 2 trap Lakes but only if there is ice. What's the difference  ? Also I know for a fact certain streams that flow into said lakes have big trout that swim up from the lake . Pretty soon those streams are open to take fish through open water.   Not sure I understand the logic.  Gonna be interesting for the derby.

Yes I also know said streams 😉. Caught some beauties up there, as we spoke of. We should plan a hike in one day

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:42 PM »
I caught this one by the mouth Wayne

I had another with it I couldn’t get to take anything and you know how spooky they get there so the next day I brought Stinginglips back with me and he stuck it

I catch these same caliber fish way up though

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Very nice, Frank.  :)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:44 PM »
I caught this one by the mouth Wayne

Sweet I'm always amazed how far they go up there.  Nice pics

I had another with it I couldn’t get to take anything and you know how spooky they get there so the next day I brought Stinginglips back with me and he stuck it

I catch these same caliber fish way up though
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.