Author Topic: bait bucket freezing  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bait bucket freezing
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Been having a peoblem with my bait bucket freezing even with aerator running on these cold days. Any suggestions?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bait bucket freezing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:28 PM »
I use a cooler helps keep insulated.... But unless you have a powerhead keeping it moving it's gonna happen
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Tried Engle 13 QT cooler with aerator but froze up in 20* today!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Tried Engle 13 QT cooler with aerator but froze up in 20* today!
Good to know. I was looking at that cooler if it freezes at that temp I am glad I didn't drop the cash.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:30 PM »
A simple/small Iglo or Coleman cooler from Wal-Mart. If there is a better way, someone chime in please
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:36 PM »
If it's so cold that my bait bucket is freezing, I'll have a heater in my shanty, so I just keep the bucket in there.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:44 PM »
I use a 2 gallon igloo, with the screw on lid..

Keep that in a five gallon with a lid while in the car or traveling.. Need to modify the handle on the cooler to be able to close the lid on the five gallon..

I change the water before I leave, and when I get back..

Never use an aerator, and my minnows live till I use them, sometimes a couple weeks (water changes vary depending on number of shiners)...

I've seen a lot of buckets with slush on top, they all have aerators running (pumping cold air into the cooler)....

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I use a 2 gallon igloo, with the screw on lid..

Keep that in a five gallon with a lid while in the car or traveling.. Need to modify the handle on the cooler to be able to close the lid on the five gallon..

I change the water before I leave, and when I get back..

Never use an aerator, and my minnows live till I use them, sometimes a couple weeks (water changes vary depending on number of shiners)...

I've seen a lot of buckets with slush on top, they all have aerators running (pumping cold air into the cooler)....

Good luck!

<°)))>{

Agreed.  I see no use for an aerator unless you are trying to keep a lot of bait in a tank.  If you need one I'd guess you have too many shiners in too small of a bucket.

If you are going to go the changing the water route I'd make sure that you don't have high levels of chlorine in your water.  I recently did a full water change (after moving homes) on my bait tank and killed a majority of my leftover bait.  I went out and got some water conditioner for a fish tank so I should be good going forward.

You could also get more flags so you are going into the bucket and moving the water around more frequently  ;D ;D :P :P  Just busting chops.
westernmas on the finder

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:49 PM »
If it's so cold that my bait bucket is freezing, I'll have a heater in my shanty, so I just keep the bucket in there.
X2....when that cold, I bring into shelter, usually helps.  I also went to thrift shop and bought a insulated water cooler...separate some out and it works pretty good (that way I can keep some out by the tip downs and some in the bigger bucket in shelter).
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 02:00 PM »
You didn’t mention if your bucket is insulated or not but under the presumption it is, you might put the bucket inside if a cooler.  Make sure the cooler is not sitting in the garage in the cold before you use it.

I take the cheap styrofoam bait buckets and put them inside of a Coleman 5 gallon water jug.  As you catch panfish, such makes a good bucket to prevent them from freezing as well.

MM

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Mono I tried the igloo cooler and it did indeed keep the minnows alive. However, the water splashing around inside got around the seal and I couldn't get the lid off till I got home and thawed it out. Then I could see the minnow were okay.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Mono I tried the igloo cooler and it did indeed keep the minnows alive. However, the water splashing around inside got around the seal and I couldn't get the lid off till I got home and thawed it out. Then I could see the minnow were okay.

Bees wax, chap stick, or petroleum jelly, little on the threads fixes that..

<°)))>{

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:41 PM »
X2 on chapstick,  works well

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:12 PM »
If you use a small minor bucket just put it in a black plastic bag and the problem goes away

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.