Author Topic: traveling light - er  (Read 944 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
traveling light - er
« on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:06 AM »
In an effort to not drag everything I own out onto the lake with me everytime, Im working on a 'lighter configuration' of all my stuff.....For example, Ive seen some great pictures of Jig boxes, spoon boxes, etc etc , but do you really take all of them out,, every time?  I think i can get it to a few little boxes so i have some jigs, couple spoons, plastics, and live bait hw, so that I can sufficiently jig for panfish, perch, walleye, and also run a few tip ups.....So rather than pack up my whole boat bag with everything, Im significantly downsizing.  Im a short walk from the car 'just in case', so its not like I would have to do without the hot jig I left in the car......The only negative to this, I see, is just having more boxes, and the potential for stuff getting even more unorganized....thought s?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: traveling light - er
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I'm always reorganizing.  Sometimes having more convenient gear is better than being light and miserable.  Most lures are toys for me anyways.  If I'm focused on catching fish with that one lure, I will be.  If not, I'm just playing and switching lures.  Trying to trigger a bite on different lures.

I will say that when it comes to dragging a sled.  Actual Crampons have far exceed typical ice cleats.  Most people only need them on the ice, but if you're huffing up a hill or down, that actual crampons makes a world of difference.  Efficiency over all else. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:41 PM »
In an effort to not drag everything I own out onto the lake with me everytime, Im working on a 'lighter configuration' of all my stuff.....For example, Ive seen some great pictures of Jig boxes, spoon boxes, etc etc , but do you really take all of them out,, every time?  I think i can get it to a few little boxes so i have some jigs, couple spoons, plastics, and live bait hw, so that I can sufficiently jig for panfish, perch, walleye, and also run a few tip ups.....So rather than pack up my whole boat bag with everything, Im significantly downsizing.  Im a short walk from the car 'just in case', so its not like I would have to do without the hot jig I left in the car......The only negative to this, I see, is just having more boxes, and the potential for stuff getting even more unorganized....thought s?
I'm with you all the way, It has been suggested to me to give my fishing stuff to good will or the old fisheremans home and take up bowling.
Thread killer

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I'm with you all the way, It has been suggested to me to give my fishing stuff to good will or the old fisheremans home and take up bowling.

If only Good Will knew what they're getting...I need to go rummage through them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Ive been going lighter and lighter since 2000.  I fish a lot of diff lakes for diff species so b4 the trip I make up a lake specific box of lures.   Last ice trip I jigged a brown tube all day. Never changed it. Just don't need a ton of stuff.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:59 PM »
I travel with 2 boxes,1 with plastics one with jigging spoons and lead head jigs.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:50 AM »
I take two jig boxes with me.  One is a fly box with all my small jigs. Other one has small compartments with plastics, spoons, snap swivels, split shots, etc. I also keep a small forceps and a nail clippers in my pocket. If I am fishing shallow water hole hopping without my flasher I just take my hand auger and my 6.5 gallon bucket with 2 or 3 poles and a ice scooper and I'm set.  If I take my flasher I usually drag a small sled.  If I take the shanty I usually throw in the heater.  I go with some guys who have a ridiculous amount of gear, its almost comical to watch them unpack from their truck, pack it in sled, drag it and setup all this stuff.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I confess Ive been one of those guys to bring more stuff that I'll ever need/use.......new leaf this year though!!

Offline curtis k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:23 PM »
i like to travel light also but i generally take all my stuff with me to the lake and then decide what i need to go on the ice with. Helped to many other people that went light and ended up being miserable, misstep getting wet ect. Can leave it at the truck if don't need it but can generally go get it if something comes up. home is to far to miss out on a day of fishing because not prepared. just my thought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.