The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Camping  (Read 1705 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Camping
« on: Jan 22, 2024, 04:47 PM »
A diminishing group of us have been ice camping for over 30 years now. We started out with tents set up in the woods, often just pulled allnighters
and have gradually shifted (getting older) to crashing in soccer mom chairs inside a hub shanty. Back in the day we fished Willoughby/Seymour/
Averills hard. There were some wild times. We booked Seymour lake lodge couple times with a capacity of 18 ish and had extra guys sleeping on couches.
I was buying bait at Lead & Tackle in Lyndonville this past  Friday and two young bucks were (planning on camping out) on Island Pond in a massive shanty for 4 days.
I've seen guys camping in shanty towns of old. Anyone else camping out? Yes we follow the regs and consistently check the lines all night.

Offline WardenAL

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Camping
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:29 PM »
A good friend of mine and I just camped on the ice Saturday night. We had a great time. It’s a lot of work getting all setup for only one night, but it was definitely worth it. We didn’t bother setting out tip ups thanks to the harsh temps but the fish we were able to jig up from the shack made it that much better.

Offline Raven71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2024, 07:52 AM »
I've camped on the ice a few times. A couple years ago, camped on Island Pond when it was -25 below.  We had a big Eskimo portable with two buddy heaters and we were able to keep it a 60 degrees inside. We caught some Walleye throughout the night jigging from our bunks. It was a lot of fun.

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Me and a buddy spend a lot of time in the winter every year ice camping on various lakes throughout the state we were on Seymour a couple few years back woke up it was -14 out but stayed warm throughout the night

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 02:34 PM »
Be careful leaving tip
Ups out overnight, failure to check them every 45 minutes. (Not checking with a light to make sure the flags not up doesn’t count)
It’s 5 points on your license.  They got almost 50 people for this couple years ago during the islands derby Walleye fishing.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2024, 02:48 PM »
Be careful leaving tip
Ups out overnight, failure to check them every 45 minutes. (Not checking with a light to make sure the flags not up doesn’t count)
It’s 5 points on your license.  They got almost 50 people for this couple years ago during the islands derby Walleye fishing.

Vermont and their wacky points system.  Is that points on your fishing license?  I got a speeding ticket up there and the officer referenced points.  I was just glad it didn't impact my insurance in MA
westernmas on the finder

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2024, 10:57 AM »
I used to do all nighters in shanties on Maidstone and Seymour,those days are gone as my old body likes a warm bed.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2024, 03:51 PM »
Gotta admit its getting tougher on the bod as I get into my 60's. We spend the second night in a motel to watch NFL playoffs and
really struggle getting up for morning of the third day.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2024, 11:51 AM »
Be careful leaving tip

Thats the first I've heard of a time limit between check, and i just want to clarify,     So if my hole isn't icing up  too bad, and I'm running a jumbo bait, that I know is still alive,  I STILL have to disturb the set hourly?    I mostly day fish, for reference. 
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2024, 01:40 PM »
I’ve always understood it that an angler need to be in direct control of their lines. As far as I know there is not a definitive time between when you have to check them or distance, more you have to be able to see them and be a reasonable distance to respond to them depending on your mode of transportation. This may have changed in past years and it’s possible there is a specific time limit as the book the wardens use for law enforcement is much more extensive obviously than the small magazines we get every year.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2024, 02:10 PM »
Rip - yep agree language is direct control but not sure how that relates to fishing at night.
We try checking every 10-15 minutes.

Offline Alien Legs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:37 AM »
I’ve always understood it that an angler need to be in direct control of their lines. As far as I know there is not a definitive time between when you have to check them or distance, more you have to be able to see them and be a reasonable distance to respond to them depending on your mode of transportation. This may have changed in past years and it’s possible there is a specific time limit as the book the wardens use for law enforcement is much more extensive obviously than the small magazines we get every year.

"Any line that indicates a fish shall be tended within 30 minutes."

https://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/10appendix/002/00122

Offline ryleyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:40 PM »
25 y/o here me and a buddy always make sure to camp out on the ice a few times each season, usually island pond for eyes and always Willy once it’s actually safe, have stayed on joes before as well. We planned a trip on Averill earlier this season but it got axed due to some family stuff, kids make planning overnights hard! But to me there’s nothing better than being able to wake up throw your bibs and boots back on and be fishin!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.