The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pike fishing  (Read 1105 times)

Offline 44blackfooted

• Team IceShanty Regular
pike fishing
« on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:13 PM »
just curious if anyone has any input on where i could pike fish champlain never been there but wanna catch some thanks

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
Re: pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Keelers bay fish and wildlife access, sand bar state park

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I've had some great luck at the sandbar south side of rte 2 on your way to the islands, later in the season
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:23 PM »
When I say later I mean middle of February till now
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:27 PM »
It would be nice if the Sandbar would heat up soon.  I drove past Sunday afternoon around 4:30 or 5:00 and there was not a single person on the ice.  Clearly the March bite hasn't started there yet.  actually I don't know if it has at all yet.  The weather this week should help.  Gotta love temps in the 40's and 3 ft. of ice.

Offline Salar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:13 PM »
That's the problem.  3 feet of ice at Sandbar probably means only around 6 inches of water!

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:53 PM »
keelers is dead and the ice is so thick at the sandbar there's barley any water.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:29 PM »
keelers is dead and the ice is so thick at the sandbar there's barley any water.
After a couple more days of this warm weather the lake level should come up a good amount. Maybe the pike will start running in there again. ;)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:33 PM »
The next few weeks with the changing water temps and conditions, the females are going to start putting the feed bag on before spawn.
Early January and now is when you want to target pike.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Don't necessarily be discouraged by the water depth at Sandbar this time of year. One of the best days I've had out there was late March when there was less than a foot of water under the ice. Baits were set a few inches below the ice and with only 12 tip ups out there was a two hour stretch late in the day when 2 of us couldn't cover all of the flags that were popping. Crazy.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline CHAMP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Don't necessarily be discouraged by the water depth at Sandbar this time of year. One of the best days I've had out there was late March when there was less than a foot of water under the ice. Baits were set a a few inches below the ice and with only 12 tip ups out there was a two hour stretch late in the day when 2 of us couldn't cover all of the flags that were popping. Crazy.

I've actually heard that many times, but haven't fished the sandbar in a few years. Might have to try it in a week or so. The last time I fished there I put a 2x4 to get on off the causeway because the ice was all gone by the access.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.