Author Topic: Tickle stick  (Read 1137 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tickle stick
« on: Nov 14, 2015, 06:33 AM »
I was looking to get an ul tickle stick from pto. Jim says he likes them. The flat tip seems like it would have great sensitivety. Anyone had experience with these?
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tickle stick
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2015, 07:14 AM »
Haven't tried one myself, but I hear if you don't get a good one the tips are succeptable to breaking off rather easily.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2015, 07:52 AM »
I bought one of last years models on clearance a month or so ago. I haven't tried it on the ice yet, but i used it perch fishing over the side of the boat on wednesday and was quite impressed with it. Tip is ridiculously sensitive but can still work up to a 1/8th jig and the rod has great backbone for the hook set and for bringing the fish up.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2015, 06:10 PM »
I've said this before, but like crappieslayer said, I have heard bad things about tips breaking. The issue with a flat tip is that its only really designed to take the stress of the fish/hookset in one direction. If you deviate from that straight up and down hookset, I think that is where the breakage happens for a lot of folks. I know that I personally, set the hook from all sorts of rod directions, whether that is sight fishing or just having the rod laying sideways on my leg to get a better angle looking at spring bobber or whatever.

I am also not a fan of 13 fishing as a brand really, but I am simply commenting on the style of rod when I say that I wouldn't buy one personally. Especially considering the variety of rods you can buy out there for lesser or equal value. 
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Blue HT with a st croix style spring is far more sensative than a tickle me elmo stick imo. Just be careful in how it's handled or the tip will definitely snap off. That can be said for any rod I know but these are in a while different category of fragile. I don't think warranty has been an issue but their might be shipping charge involved.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:50 PM »
i went through 3 last year in a matter of a month.  finally just had them give me a store credit and got a ST CROIX legend UL.  the tips kept breaking when the guides would freeze up.  and one broke at the 2nd guide from tip on a hook set.  i would recommend staying away from them.  on a side note if they didnt break on a regular basis i would have atleast 3.  the way you can turn the rod to get that stiffness like a heavy action rod to quiver your jig was like no other rod ive ever used with a spring bobber (if that makes sense)  sideways the rod has not much give so it went turn rod on side quiver quiver quiver turn rod back so you have a strike indicator

also on another side note 13 fishing now has the widowmaker line of rods with a PC2 blank(flat tip) and they claim they fixxed the problem of the tips breaking but the price on those is like 80..... funny thing is the places that i know of that had them dont anymore due to a recall

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:04 AM »
You know that is funny you say there was a recall. About 3 weeks ago I checked out the Widowmakers at Gander and thought they were really nice. Sure wasn't gonna pay $80 for one though. Then I went back a week or so later and they were all gone. I thought they had just sold them out already. Had no idea there was a recall. Thanks for the info!

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:06 AM »
same thing for me i seen them at gander and then they were gone so i asked what was up they said they had to send them back

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:14 AM »
I bought a widowmaker in cold water at gander about a month or so ago. It seems to be a very nice rod. I believe I'll keep mine until something happens because its by far the best off the shelf rod I've held in my hand.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:04 PM »
E13 is a poor rod making company.  In the 3 or 4 years they have been around I know more people that have broke their bass and ice rods than all other rod companies combined over that same period.  One guy was a pro staffer and broke 7 of 9 of the rods they supplied.  He is no longer with them by his choice as he could not promote something that was junk.  They charge 80 an ice rod because they will have to replace it for free 4 or 5 times before you give up on them.  I have about 40 bass rods and 30+ ice rods and not a single one is from E13.   If they produced quality rods, I would own some as part of my arsenals.

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:23 PM »
I had a tickle stick last year and my tip broke off also  would not recommend buying one didn't last one season.

Offline PTOjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:17 AM »
13 Fishing gas been a frustrating issue as a dealer for as long as we have been an outlet for both open water bass series rods and ice gear. Frustrating because I am in total agreement with the opinions/experience shared in this thread regarding breakage. I currently have a list of customers waiting for my delivery of Tickle Sticks and at this point we warn them of the fragile nature of the rods. We have been on the fence as to wether to continue with 13 rods at all due to the vast number of returns with bass rods. The demand is there for the great performance and feel of the rods so we have continued to stock the entire line for that reason. Not so sure what the future holds. The price is a big attraction for the bass rods. The Tickle Sticks had great feedback last year (here at PTO) with not as many returns, but we try to give the warning of breakage issues in an effort to be upfront with our customers. (The Wicked Series Ice Rods have been good) The Jury is out on our decision. Feedback is everything, so thanks for letting it be heard.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:20 PM »
I bought a 13 fishing "White Noise" ice rod last year at PTO and was real happy with it.  I paired it with a good spring bobber and it has become one of my favorite all around rods.  I never tried the tickle sticks, just looking at them they looked too fragile for me.  I'm not always the easiest on my gear.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Oh jeez. That turned kinda ugly. I think I will take some advice and stay clear of this rod. Thanks everyone for the input. I don't even really "need" another ice rod, but I like new toys!
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2015, 10:45 PM »
I bought one last year and I didn't really care for it. It's a nice enough rod, just not for me. Had a lot of issue with the eyes freezing shut all the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.