The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Colchester Pond or Indian Brook Reservoir  (Read 3757 times)

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Colchester Pond or Indian Brook Reservoir
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I'm looking for a little local advice for this coming Sunday (Feb 17th).  I work at IBM and used to be located in Essex Junction until I started working from home in Saranac Lake NY.  I still have a lot of friends there.  None of them are serious fisherman, but do like it when I take them.  I'll be buying a license and taking them for the day.  We're thinking of Colchester Pond, or Indian Brook Reservoir.  Any advice for either spot?  Are tipups allowed on Indian Brook?  There will be 3 of us for sure with licenses, and probably 3 others along for the party.  Last time we did it I took them to the sand bar and did pretty good catching lots of largemouth bass.  Looking to try a new spot.  Any advice would be welcome and I'll try to help anyone out whose headed to the Adks to fish. 

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Colchester Pond or Indian Brook Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Colchester Pond...you will certainly have good action, whether you will get a big fish is another thing, I have only fished it a few times so I don't really know.  BUT, if you are goinng to be going with all those people make sure you bring one vehicle and get there EARLY and don't park on the dirt road you WILL get towed.  With new bait laws, if you get to CP and the parking lot is full...your fishin is over.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the warning about the parking.  I've only been there once in the summer, looked like enough room for 3 or 4 cars.  I'll make sure to go in as few as possible knowing there will probably be other fisherman.  I also will be buying bait in VT knowing that cross state bait transportation is a no no.  Is that little bait shop on Rt 2 between South Hero and rt 89 still open?  I haven't bought bait over there in a while if you couldn't tell.  The only other place I know is Ace in Malletts bay, which is a long ways from where we'll be.

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:14 PM »
If you are talking about Rons bait. No it is no longer open. Good luck at Colchester pond the fishing there for myself and others I know has not been very good the past few years. Very few perch and small pike. Some say they got big pike out of there. Few. Well like they Say any bad day of fishing is better then your best day at work.... Right?....jim s

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:21 PM »
You got that right Jim.  I figure there will be about 1 hr of serious fishing, then on to other things, like cooking, drinking, and a game we call "kick can".  Thanks for the update on Ron's, I'll plan on going to Malletts Bay then for bait. 

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:03 PM »
If you do go to the pond my best luck has come right under the power lines by the dam. Never really anything big but most luck. I did hear that if you walk all the way to the otherside there is a creek that comes out to the pond.  Set up with suckers and see what happens. If you go let me know. I like to hear good things because I used to like to fish that place.....jim s

Offline Smada_Evad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish Therfore I am
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:13 PM »
You got that right Jim.  I figure there will be about 1 hr of serious fishing, then on to other things, like cooking, drinking, and a game we call "kick can".  Thanks for the update on Ron's, I'll plan on going to Malletts Bay then for bait. 

Had good luck at colchester pond this year, like jim said no trophy fish but a lot of 3 - 5 lbers...no perch, but jigged up three northers trying!

Your best bet for bait is Dockside which is located just north of where Ron's use to be on Raymond Road (i think, its the second right)
Bill has some nice bait for pike and extra gear if needed

Tight Lines and Full Buckets

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Yes I forgot to tell you that I always jig while fishing tip-up. I have broke 3 jig stick there from the notherns. The last one did not get away broken stick and all I got it out of the hole. Thats cool to get them that way....jim s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.