The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Starting over with my gear  (Read 879 times)

Offline J-8

• IceShanty Rookie
Starting over with my gear
« on: Nov 25, 2023, 08:50 PM »
Hey all,  I've been out of the ice fishing game for about 13+ years now..  Now that my kids are old enough, they are becoming really interested in the outdoors and we are going to start back into ice fishing.  With that said, I don't even know what happened to all of my gear (lost, broken or outdated), and a lot of my ice fishing knowledge.. Either way, I need to build my gear back up, from poles, auger, lures, etc..

A little background : I live south of Missoula.  Probably don't want to travel too much farther than Helena (a couple of hours away).  My kids ages range from 4-15 years old.  I have previously enjoyed fishing for trout, perch, salmon and pike (tip-ups).  The main lakes I've fished at have been Georgetown, Upsata, Browns (never had any luck there).

So far, I have an eskimo 949ig ice hut.  Thinking I should probably pick up a vexilar or some sort of finder.  Still need an auger, poles, lures, line .. pretty much everything.  (if you have anything for sale and live somewhat close by, give me a shout and I might be interested).

If you have any advice & recommendations on gear that you like to use for certain species, or locations you're willing to offer me and my kiddos, we would greatly appreciate it, Thank you!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Starting over with my gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2023, 05:47 AM »
Keep an eye on this thread ...check daily and dont dilly dally ...most if not all of the Black Friday deals are gone ...marked back up to regular/previous pricing. I am expecting some decent Cyber Monday deals to drop later today/tomorrow

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.msg4320722#msg4320722

These retailers in the past have gotten a lot of my money in the past Blaclk Friday/Cyber Monday deals

Mills Fleet Farm

L&M Fleet Supply

Are you in a current battery platform ..Dewalt...Milwaukee ....you may be able to build upon that for an ice auger set up ?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Check FB & Craigslist , I've p/u some nice equipment & it's  usually  from someone  who doesn't  have any use for it so the $$ are nice

Offline buckfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2023, 11:48 PM »
Get an electric auger! They are expensive but so worth it! I got tired of hand augers and we t to gas. The  got tired of gas and went to propane. Propane was heavy and sucks in really cold weather. I sold that and went with an electric hammer drill and 8" auger for awhile but my drill kept over heating. Finally pulled the plug on a 10" electric and love it!! Light, quiet, and hasn't failed me yet.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2023, 08:23 AM »
some sort of electronics help for sure. If nothing else, they give you something to focus on when there is no bite. Costco will usually some decent ice fishing rods at the beginning of the season. staying warm, dry and safe is a must. I pack a throw rope with me and have ice picks in my pockets. Flotation bibs and jackets are great if you can afford them.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline RoadBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2023, 11:14 PM »
Scheels has their yearly ice fishing sale going now.  Plenty of good deals online and I think they ship for free.

You can fish without a flasher/Vexilar but I've always found it a lot more educational and interesting to know exactly where my bait is in relation to the bottom and how the fish are coming in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.