The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing Rivers in Montana  (Read 1924 times)

Offline CaptinStripSet

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing Rivers in Montana
« on: Nov 18, 2023, 08:40 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone tries ice fishing rivers such as the Milk river, yellowstone, missouri not in the reservoir etc? Thanks

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing Rivers in Montana
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2023, 10:16 AM »
I'm sure others will chime in along similar lines, but I would be extremely hesitant to venture out onto our rivers, especially if you have little experience on hardwater (not saying you do, I'm only assuming so since that was your first post). Moving water doesn't build ice as quickly or solidly as our lakes. True, the lower reaches of the rivers you mentioned can have fishable ice, but as others can attest, you might be sitting on 6" and find yourself on 1" a few feet away. At minimum, I recommend waiting until later in the season and even then, only after an extreme cold spell. Bring your spud bar, throw ropes, and don't go alone.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2023, 11:03 AM »
Rural is spot on.  Rivers are too dangerous for ice fishing due to many factors.  Moving water doesn't freeze like still water.  Velocity encourages non-freezing events so safe ice is hard to locate or predict.  Fishing a rivers back waters or sloughs is as far as I'd dare ice fish any river. 

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2023, 12:16 PM »
ditto on all the advice. Ice fishing rivers in Montana is risky for sure. Even reservoirs like Holter can lose lots of ice fast and become dangerous.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline CaptinStripSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2023, 03:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips been ice fishing for 20+ years... I always see the milk frozen solid on may way to nelson and peck and was wondering if that was something people do... I mean they fish the missouri in North dakota under moving water i was thinking it is a possibility by the highline to hit some of these rivers that freeze solid although i understand the risks

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2023, 06:13 PM »
I know on hard winters guys like fishing the Missouri in some areas down by Culbertson.  Supposed to be great for ling. It is doable, with extreme safety in mind.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline buckfever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2023, 11:43 PM »
I've ice fished Milk river for pike but was in a large deep hole, where the water was pretty slow. I've seen guys do the same on the Missouri and were catching trout like crazy as I watched,while walking my dogs.

Offline busketsittah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2023, 10:42 AM »
I've often wondered why no one fishes the Missouri above the dams in Great Falls.  The water has to be deep enough for good jigging and the water behind those dams slows to very slow current.  Any one ever see anyone fishing in the deep water above Black Eagle or Rainbow dams?

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2023, 05:34 AM »
diving under ice without breathing gear not good.

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2023, 06:06 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone tries ice fishing rivers such as the Milk river, yellowstone, missouri not in the reservoir etc? Thanks

The Milk can be fished. I will never step foot on the ice on the Mo, fell through a few years ago while hunting. I've ice fished the sun river once before. Guys fish the Yellowstone but idk where
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline RoadBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2023, 10:53 PM »
Zero chance you'd find me on the Missouri (Misery) River except for the dams.....and even then you've got to pay attention.  Variation in current speed makes the ice very inconsistent in thickness. 

If you fall through on a lake, you kind of have a chance to float there while you figure your way out with a set of ice picks.  You go down in the river and you're likely going to get pulled underneath the ice before you know what happened and that's it, you're done and will be lucky if anyone finds your corpse to bury.  Sorry to be grim but I don't want to read any stories about anyone dying because they were chasing fish in the winter.

Offline Adhoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2023, 04:46 PM »
I see quite a few people on the Yellowstone river right at the ND border (Sundheim?park) on cold years. Ice castles and all. I've never been brave enough to join them.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2023, 05:47 AM »
I've often wondered why no one fishes the Missouri above the dams in Great Falls.  The water has to be deep enough for good jigging and the water behind those dams slows to very slow current.  Any one ever see anyone fishing in the deep water above Black Eagle or Rainbow dams?

Never saw anyone fishing there, but I recall either last year or the year before the homeless guy above Black Eagle.  He was homeless and went out in the middle and set up camp.  Everyone freaking out, but they wouldn't go out and get him either.  Not sure how long he lived out there.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2023, 10:37 AM »
I've had old timers tell me they remember going out on the Bighole river as kids with there dads..... Must have had bigger coconuts and must have been much colder back in those days...
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2023, 06:22 PM »
I've had old timers tell me they remember going out on the Bighole river as kids with there dads..... Must have had bigger coconuts and must have been much colder back in those days...

Hmmm, I don't think it freezes that hard, maybe the upper part where it's slow, but with all the snow I can't imagine it freezes that hard. We used to fish off the ice with long poles to reach the open water after the holes froze, maybe that's what they did.

Offline BridgerMntneer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2023, 09:24 AM »
I've spent many nights on Sakakawea, above 24-36" of ice most times.  When you're sleeping and hear that pressure ridge crack coming from quite a distance away, seemingly miles, there's  no amount of ice that makes you feel safe.  But the great fishing made hundreds of us be out there anyway.  The notion of it being a "reservoir" seemed to make it easier to justify.

As Clint Eastwood said in Josey Wales movie, "dying ain't much of a living".

The few times I fished on the main Missouri River current in ND was an uneasy feeling the whole time, each time.  Not enjoyable & not smart.  Recommend don't do it unless your wife blesses it!

Offline elkstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2023, 04:23 PM »
I wouldn't try the Big Hole, last winter which was much colder than this one a guy fell through duck hunting and wasn't found until the spring.

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better than the best, get your rest.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2023, 08:43 AM »
A spud bar test every step of the way is your best friend to finding a safe spot to not wander from if you’re determined to be out there. Also super helpful to look at river water temp locations around the area you’re headed to know if they’re staying frozen…or not!

Heads up the milk can freeze in layers with flow between them depending where you’re at and it’s no fun to cross discovering that…no fish in the layers either!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.