The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: bathymetry maps for montana waters  (Read 2883 times)

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
bathymetry maps for montana waters
« on: Sep 05, 2023, 02:30 PM »
greetings all. Years ago, MTFWP put out a series of regional files (called kml files) for waters they had created bathymetry maps of. these could be opened from within google earth software. the last version I"m aware of was created in 2019. Does anyone know if they created a newer version that may have lake maps for some not included in the older versions?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: bathymetry maps for montana waters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2023, 10:21 PM »
Long time ago, pre-dating these high power smart phones I created kml of MT Bathymetry per FWP Regions so it can open on our old crap smart phones. Then sometime in 2018-19 FWP actually allow you to download kml directly from their GIS library. A quick search today and that function is currently unavailable, although you can still download the shapefile zipfile on a desktop/laptop (was not able on phone). The attributes show newly created lakes as of 11/12/21. One of the lake that jumped out was Hebgen Lake that was not in my 2015 data.

All that being said, do yourself a favor and buy Navionics or use their free chartviewer to get rough idea. GPS Nautical Chart is also a good one too. Good luck on your search!

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: bathymetry maps for montana waters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2023, 10:57 AM »
Thanks TooLucky
its just as I thought. they were handy at the time, thanks for working on them. Your right, maps of some montana waters are available. and most sonar units allow us to create maps as we fish. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.