Author Topic: All fluoro or just sufix?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
All fluoro or just sufix?
« on: Mar 13, 2023, 02:17 PM »
I was putting on new leaders on a bunch of my rods, getting ready for an upcoming trip. I have a sufix advance and invisline ice fluoro.

Cut off my desired leader length and gave it a stretch in my hands and noticed that is started to fray as I stretched it. I never stretched it to the point of breaking, but I typically stretch mono and Fluor before spooling.

I tried it with 4,5,6,7 and 8lb test and they all did it.

I then tried it with berkley and p-line Fluor and it held up fine

The sufix line was no older than 6 months with the newest about 2 weeks old.

Contact sufix, they said they would replace it.

Figured I would ask you guys if you have had any experience with this happening with sufix of other fluoros.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: All fluoro or just sufix?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2023, 02:25 PM »
Yikes, I've never seen that.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2023, 11:13 PM »
Maybe a bad production run and am happy to hear they will replace it.  I've been running 832 with P-Line CFX Leader material hanging from a SPRO swivel for a few years with zero issues.  Pans to Lakers in appropriate sizes...no prob. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2023, 10:12 AM »
Doesn't seem like a "bad batch" thing as multiple line tests showed the same thing. It may be a condition of how you stored your line. Generally avoiding temp extremes and keeping out of sunlight will be for your line. On the extreme side hot temps are more damaging than cold. Other concerns are being stored in closed areas with anything that contains a solvent: bug repellant, sunscreen, mothballs or anything containing paint thinner or alcohol are a few common ones that can all off gas solvents.

I've never seen what you experienced and I've gone through a giant pile of line in my day. Proper storage will keep line viable for years, likely decades. Evaluate your storage before more line is ruined. But since the Berkeley and P-line didn't, well... maybe not. Very curious. Do either of those products have any "coating" that might be giving way?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2023, 03:50 PM »
All line was stored in my soft sided line bag in my fishing/hunting room. I am like crazy and require a bag to hold it all. Haha.

I agree, the elements specially extreme heat and Sun and degrade line quick but not the case here. Also the newest spool was only a couple weeks old.

I don’t believe the advance has a coating, the ice might if it is designed for ice. Not to sure.

Sufix has been great. They are taking back all my spools to examine them.

I am curious now if other fluoros have similar issues or not.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2023, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, just checking to eliminate any usual suspects. Let us know how this turns out. Especially if you hear back from Sufix regarding the bad spools.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2023, 06:09 PM »
what you describe is basically a property of fluorocarbon lines when stretched to failure.  The break off isn't clean and it isn't in one spot.  The overall line will show deformities or fraying where it is weakest in the chain of of the element bonds. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2023, 07:51 PM »
what you describe is basically a property of fluorocarbon lines when stretched to failure.  The break off isn't clean and it isn't in one spot.  The overall line will show deformities or fraying where it is weakest in the chain of of the element bonds.

I was curious if this was a fluorocarbon specific thing. I tried it on other brands but they were slightly higher text 10 and 12 lb. I have a hard time thinking I came close enough to the advertised breaking strength to warrant a failure.

If someone wants to try a different brand in similar test, let me know. This is intriguing me. Always good to learn something new.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2023, 04:59 PM »
I was curious if this was a fluorocarbon specific thing. I tried it on other brands but they were slightly higher text 10 and 12 lb. I have a hard time thinking I came close enough to the advertised breaking strength to warrant a failure.

If someone wants to try a different brand in similar test, let me know. This is intriguing me. Always good to learn something new.

I've already done a lot of tracking of the lines I've used thus far within the last decade.  Fluorocarbon line has a stretch plasticity that will fail at the extreme.  It will either start to shred some thread like fibers or stay as one but deform into a thinner  thread.  The same brand in even different test # will exhibit different results but that has something to do with the line extrusion process and the actual elemental bonds. 

I've found that when fluorocarbon lines are stretched to like around 75% of the box listed test#, it starts to obtain deformities.  A lot of fluorocarbon lines do not actually break at the box listed test# and only come close.  In comparison to mono/copolymer lines most of them breaks at a much higher than box listed test#.  That's why there's an IGFA line rating when people catch a fish and submit a portion of the line they used. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2023, 10:03 PM »
I've already done a lot of tracking of the lines I've used thus far within the last decade.  Fluorocarbon line has a stretch plasticity that will fail at the extreme.  It will either start to shred some thread like fibers or stay as one but deform into a thinner  thread.  The same brand in even different test # will exhibit different results but that has something to do with the line extrusion process and the actual elemental bonds. 

I've found that when fluorocarbon lines are stretched to like around 75% of the box listed test#, it starts to obtain deformities.  A lot of fluorocarbon lines do not actually break at the box listed test# and only come close.  In comparison to mono/copolymer lines most of them breaks at a much higher than box listed test#.  That's why there's an IGFA line rating when people catch a fish and submit a portion of the line they used.

I put a scale on 7lb sufix invisiline ice and it started to deform at 3.5lbs or so.

Glad it’s not just sufix but rather the properties of fluoro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.