The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ft Peck, 3 Amigos olefish, wyohunter, cargo 2/23  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ft Peck, 3 Amigos olefish, wyohunter, cargo 2/23
« on: Feb 11, 2023, 01:22 PM »
We just returned from our winter rendezvous at Ft Peck olefish, wyohunter and cargo. We all had our own success ole fish was the Pike slayer a Laker and walleye with wyohunter coming in secondn on pike but with the largest Pike, and a 10lb 2 0z walleye and a lake trout. I came in last with smaller pike a small walleye but I did manage to jig up a couple of Lakers.
The weather was for the most put great. Here are a few pictures of our trip. Can't wait until next season or maybe a return trip yet this winter.

The three of us first night.

olefish

olefish

olefish

Cargo

cargo release

wyohunter & olefish

wyohunter

cargo

olefish

wyohunter

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Ft Peck, 3 Amigos olefish, wyohunter, cargo 2/23
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:21 PM »
 ;D Nice pull guys! They were hungry buggers for a change.  ;D

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2023, 06:28 PM »
Looks like a nice fish fry there. Glad they were on the bite for you guys.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2023, 07:56 PM »
It was lots of fun with to great men, and wonderful friends.
olefish

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2023, 10:10 PM »
Looks like a great trip! I hope to get up there one day on the ice or in open water.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2023, 11:35 AM »
Looks like an awesome trip!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:38 AM »
Great job guys! Always love to see the pics from this trip! But, I gotta know more! Were you guys strictly fishing for pike and catching other fish as a bycatch, or were you traveling around everyday and finding places to fish for other species?
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2023, 09:09 AM »
We were fishing for walleyes, ling and pike with tipups and the pike just took over.   We had them set from 11 to 25 feet and it did not matter.
olefish

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2023, 12:51 PM »
Big Fish Action!  Can't beat that!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2023, 01:36 PM »
We were trying for lakers too, but Cargo was the only one successful in jig up any. Olefish caught a laker in 11 ft. then turnered around and jigged up a northern from the bottom at 50 ft.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2023, 07:13 PM »
To answer a few of your questions POk3s.
We really don't travel much maybe we might move our houses several hundred yards each day in a particular area.
When fishing Peck if your line is in the water you are fishing for whatever is hungry.

I do believe traveling, searching for Lakers is worth the time, but I have noticed that the best times for jigging up a Laker is the first few hours of morning and the last hours of day light.
That being said last year we saw mid morning being good. I have fished many nights without much luck using Glow stuff.
When it comes to Laker fishing thats where we need someone with your expertise. The " Laker King "

I have been fishing most of my life and I don't know if there is anything more enjoyable than jigging up a Lake Trout. POk3s I really can't imagine your experiences fishing Lakers. It differently gets in your blood.

Back to targeting fish species Ft Peck is 135 miles long with 1,500 hundred miles of shore line. Go pick a spot!
Over the years I have seen many 10lb plus walleyes come from mud flats areas. When most fisherman will pick rocky shore lines or rocky main points. Don't overlook anything the mud, way up in bays, anything.

I would like to say this about olefish and wyohunter these guys are season vets. These guys might play down the simplicity of tip up fishing, but I have watched them setup there lines.

What kind of hooks do you use, trebles, singles, quick strike, closepins etc..what size?
Then what size bait sm. med. large, extra large?
Where do you hook the minnow lips, dorsal, behind the dorsal, tail, anus, upside down?
Do you use Bling on your sets? Not a bad idea hey wyohunter!

I do think you are more likely to catch a ling or an eye closer to the bottom. But not always it Peck! hey olefish with a Laker from 11' feet of water at night!!!!

If you are up off the bottom several feet probably more likely to catch Northerns and Lakers, but not always it's Peck!

It's big water all I can say go experience it. But living on the water can make a difference.

We would check lines sometime at 10 or 11 o'clock at night. pray for good weather!

The result of the pictures I posted are 7 days - 24 hr days, keep that in mind. 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2023, 02:52 PM »
We were trying for lakers too, but Cargo was the only one successful in jig up any. Olefish caught a laker in 11 ft. then turnered around and jigged up a northern from the bottom at 50 ft.

Haha! Of course he did!
Trent Williams

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2023, 02:56 PM »
To answer a few of your questions POk3s.
We really don't travel much maybe we might move our houses several hundred yards each day in a particular area.
When fishing Peck if your line is in the water you are fishing for whatever is hungry.

I do believe traveling, searching for Lakers is worth the time, but I have noticed that the best times for jigging up a Laker is the first few hours of morning and the last hours of day light.
That being said last year we saw mid morning being good. I have fished many nights without much luck using Glow stuff.
When it comes to Laker fishing thats where we need someone with your expertise. The " Laker King "

I have been fishing most of my life and I don't know if there is anything more enjoyable than jigging up a Lake Trout. POk3s I really can't imagine your experiences fishing Lakers. It differently gets in your blood.

Back to targeting fish species Ft Peck is 135 miles long with 1,500 hundred miles of shore line. Go pick a spot!
Over the years I have seen many 10lb plus walleyes come from mud flats areas. When most fisherman will pick rocky shore lines or rocky main points. Don't overlook anything the mud, way up in bays, anything.

I would like to say this about olefish and wyohunter these guys are season vets. These guys might play down the simplicity of tip up fishing, but I have watched them setup there lines.

What kind of hooks do you use, trebles, singles, quick strike, closepins etc..what size?
Then what size bait sm. med. large, extra large?
Where do you hook the minnow lips, dorsal, behind the dorsal, tail, anus, upside down?
Do you use Bling on your sets? Not a bad idea hey wyohunter!

I do think you are more likely to catch a ling or an eye closer to the bottom. But not always it Peck! hey olefish with a Laker from 11' feet of water at night!!!!

If you are up off the bottom several feet probably more likely to catch Northerns and Lakers, but not always it's Peck!

It's big water all I can say go experience it. But living on the water can make a difference.

We would check lines sometime at 10 or 11 o'clock at night. pray for good weather!

The result of the pictures I posted are 7 days - 24 hr days, keep that in mind. 

Awesome little write up Cargo! Thank you! I have quite the fascination for Peck. I’ve never been so I’m always just kind of seeing how people attack it for when it’s my time to head up there and try to tackle it. I figure it’s 2 days of driving both ways so I really have to plan accordingly. It just hasn’t happened yet. I would be fishing walleye and pike. The last thing I would want to see at the end of my line is a lake trout!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :woot:

Again, very well done guys!! Makes me happy you guys go up there and hit it hard once every ice season!
Trent Williams

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2023, 07:18 PM »
It’s a really special place. Glad you guys had a great time.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2023, 06:58 PM »
Very nice fish gentamen Congradulations
<

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.