Author Topic: Propane augers. Which would you buy?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
Propane augers. Which would you buy?
« on: Sep 20, 2022, 12:25 PM »
The market is starting to adjust pricing on propane augers, given the influx of high end battery/electric units.
Which propane auger do you think is the most reliable? Longevity? Cost per hole? Holes per tank?
Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom, humor and tips!

Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
Re: Propane augers. Which would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2022, 12:37 PM »
This should be entertaining...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Auger stays in da truck for backup. 18" cordless chainsaw w5 ah battery was cheaper1/2 the weight & size, haven't been able to kill battery in one trip, cutting spear & tipups w/ no scooping.
Definitely cheaper than any fossil setup

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2022, 03:01 PM »
These days a guy could get into a drill set up for about the price of a half dozen little green bombs.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2022, 03:23 PM »
Auger stays in da truck for backup. 18" cordless chainsaw w5 ah battery was cheaper1/2 the weight & size, haven't been able to kill battery in one trip, cutting spear & tipups w/ no scooping.
Definitely cheaper than any fossil setup

A bit tough to go down 25" or more for a hole that way......

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2022, 06:03 PM »
I fish lower mich w1 U.P. trip a year & haven't seen ice too thick yet , but for the extra 50.00 I can keep a 24 " Oregon bar & chain next to the auger

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2022, 07:22 PM »
I fish lower mich w1 U.P. trip a year & haven't seen ice too thick yet , but for the extra 50.00 I can keep a 24 " Oregon bar & chain next to the auger

Yeah. I'm in SW lower and in a good winter, 12" is about max. Did have 16" on a trip to Alpena last season.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2022, 07:45 PM »
Here's the thing...  Milwaukee has a 5 yr guarantee.  Hear me out... go on ebay, buy a broken 2804-20 drill for under $50, send it back to milwaukee for repair...  then go to Amazon warehouse and pair it with a cheap mora auger...  you can have a slick setup for under $100 if you don't have to drill thru Alaska thick ice....

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2022, 08:42 PM »
Here's the thing...  Milwaukee has a 5 yr guarantee.  Hear me out... go on ebay, buy a broken 2804-20 drill for under $50, send it back to milwaukee for repair...  then go to Amazon warehouse and pair it with a cheap mora auger...  you can have a slick setup for under $100 if you don't have to drill thru Alaska thick ice....

One way of looking at it I guess, but I have a problem doing what you suggest since I wasn’t the original owner of the drill. It may be acceptable to some folks, but I find it morally questionable. That’s just me!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2022, 09:22 PM »
Here’s my 2 cents. I absolutely love my Jiffy 46 Xtreme. I’ve had it going on 3 years,with no issues so far

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2022, 09:48 PM »
One way of looking at it I guess, but I have a problem doing what you suggest since I wasn’t the original owner of the drill. It may be acceptable to some folks, but I find it morally questionable. That’s just me!

So, the tool has a 5 year warranty, they ask if I'm the original owner, I say no....
And they offer to replace it and I'm supposed to feel wrong about it?  Ok...

Milwaukee can say no!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2022, 08:16 AM »
I used to have the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite propane auger.  Used it a few seasons and ended up selling it for $200.  You need to keep the propane cans warm, otherwise it won't start.  It was a good auger, just too large for my style.  I ended up going with the drill/K Drill setup and haven't looked back.  I live in MN and find > 20" of ice all the time.  Usually try to hole hop when I fish and its no issue carrying a few 9 ah batteries. 

My advise, look at how you want to fish and decide on the auger style - if you go with propane, the Jiffy is a good auger. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2022, 08:26 AM »
I’m not sure how old you are but those augers are heavy. Don’t do something you’ll regret.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2022, 08:30 AM »
So, the tool has a 5 year warranty, they ask if I'm the original owner, I say no....
And they offer to replace it and I'm supposed to feel wrong about it?  Ok...

Milwaukee can say no!

Done a lot of biz. w/ Milwaukee supply & repair centers. You get no rythm on warranty without proof of purchase or commercial account & the cost of shipping & return would offset the cost of buying a good used drill on cl.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2022, 08:51 AM »
These days a guy could get into a drill set up for about the price of a half dozen little green bombs.

Buy the kit ...w/free battery return the free battery ...drill is discounted to $155.78

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-Two-5-0-Ah-Batteries-and-Hard-Case-2804-22/305059560

Add the ice auger unit of your choice

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2022, 09:54 AM »
With the insane prices on the little green bombs, wonder when they're gonna come out with a 20' quick-connect/disconnect hose for the auger to run off yer 20 lb'er......... ;D

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2022, 10:47 AM »
Buy the kit ...w/free battery return the free battery ...drill is discounted to $155.78

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18V-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Kit-with-Two-5-0-Ah-Batteries-and-Hard-Case-2804-22/305059560

Add the ice auger unit of your choice
This is an absolute steal. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2022, 02:01 PM »
The market is starting to adjust pricing on propane augers, given the influx of high end battery/electric units.
Which propane auger do you think is the most reliable? Longevity? Cost per hole? Holes per tank?
Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom, humor and tips!

First you don’t give any indication of your location. Are you cutting through 12” of ice per hole? What temps are you operating in? Are you walking in, are you getting to your sites under power? I used a jiffy 4 for a few seasons worked fine. Never had an issue with frozen cans, but I never had to use it in extreme cold. Some have mentioned the price of the green tanks when I was running propane I invested in the Flame King tanks and refilling system. I use the tanks for other tools. So many folks have went to electric setups there should be propane augers for sale all over the place. I went to electric because I got old! The weight of even a propane auger was one less thing I needed to pull of the ice. I did not buy a high end electric auger? Don’t get the membership arguing about the best drill brand. Sorry for the long reply but you can get into a drill and auger setup for the same cash as a propane auger. Now if you are close to Omaha Nebraska I will give you a great deal on a lightly used Jiffy! Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2022, 02:58 PM »
I dunno....if I was starting out again, I'd get the drill and auger set-up hands down. What's not to like?
No gas or weight to speak of to fool with, no way-spendy batts and weight of almost as much as a gas auger, and ya can use the drill year round. A win-win, IMO. We've ate thru 24" of ice with no problem with my cousins drill and auger. The only way to fly. And the ice gets THICK here where I fish....click on the chart pic if ya don't believe me.

https://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Ice-Measurements/

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2022, 03:03 PM »
I dunno....if I was starting out again, I'd get the drill and auger set-up hands down. What's not to like?
No gas or weight to speak of to fool with, no way-spendy batts and weight of almost as much as a gas auger, and ya can use the drill year round. A win-win, IMO. We've ate thru 24" of ice with no problem with my cousins drill and auger. The only way to fly. And the ice gets THICK here where I fish....click on the chart pic if ya don't believe me.

https://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Ice-Measurements/

X2, I'll start looking for a drill and a auger here pretty soon, seems to the best way to go.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2022, 03:53 PM »
If anyone is near Detroit ,  P.M. me & i know of a store that has the m-18 fuel kit w/ 2 batteries & charger new in da box for 150.00.
Store is in Westland

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2022, 07:59 AM »
I had the eskimo hc40.  worked great and loved it until I bought the milwaukee drill with 2 batteries.  Have since sold the propane since it was heavy and pretty big.  I already had an 8 inch nils master auger so it made sense to get the drill.  Now it walks through ice (been up to 18 inches) and never killed one battery yet.  I dont run tipups but drill 7 holes for my wife and I ever time we setup.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #23 on: Sep 23, 2022, 12:50 PM »
2004 called they want their propane auger back…..
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2022, 01:43 PM »
I think a major reason you will see these so cheap is because those little green tanks will creep to 10-15 bucks a pop come late fall.  they are already getting there.   

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2022, 04:54 PM »
I had the eskimo hc40.  worked great and loved it until I bought the milwaukee drill with 2 batteries.  Have since sold the propane since it was heavy and pretty big.  I already had an 8 inch nils master auger so it made sense to get the drill.  Now it walks through ice (been up to 18 inches) and never killed one battery yet.  I dont run tipups but drill 7 holes for my wife and I ever time we setup.
Did the same .  Sold my hc40 and use a fuel .  copied the blue handle thing .  cost me about 30 for the bearing and handles.   Had the drill and batteries.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 29, 2022, 12:13 PM »
Going green is getting even cheaper this year.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.