The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Out-of-stater question  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out-of-stater question
« on: Sep 15, 2022, 02:27 PM »
Hello from Montana. I was looking at your fishing regulations and saw that from Oct 1 to March 31 Lakes in the North Zone are closed to all fishing. My curiosity has the better of me. Why would such a big area with so many lakes be closed for half the year? Am I missing something? Thanks for any replies and I hope you can get on the ice (if allowed) soon.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Out-of-stater question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2022, 04:02 PM »
General law is all lakes are closed for those dates. If you look at the special regulations for each body of water you will find that many are open to ice fishing  and some are open to open water fishing from Oct.1-Dec. 31.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2022, 07:16 PM »
General law is all lakes are closed for those dates. If you look at the special regulations for each body of water you will find that many are open to ice fishing  and some are open to open water fishing from Oct.1-Dec. 31.
I figured something like that. The Montana regs have what is called exceptions to the standard regulations. I just didn't see the special regulations in the Maine Regs. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am glad to see that there are many more oportunities out there for you than I had originaly thought. Good luck this season.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2022, 05:40 AM »
May be talking crap but I understood that the cold water fisheries that have natural reproduction and no stocking get shut down. 

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2022, 05:34 PM »
May be talking crap but I understood that the cold water fisheries that have natural reproduction and no stocking get shut down. 
That would make sense from a biological stand point. I just couldn't imagine that that would include every lake in the the northern part of Maine.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2022, 06:41 PM »

That's not true. Chamberlain, Telos, Lobster, Chesuncook and Allagash lakes are all open to ice fishing and none of them are stocked. I'm sure there are others but I'm not looking through the stocking reports to find them.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2022, 11:08 PM »
Lakes with arctic char are closed to ice fishing for certain. 10 acres or less usually closed also. I live on a lake with no public access and I think that may be the reason it’s closed to ice fishing
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.