The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gas Auger storage tip - Makes perfect sense  (Read 2443 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Gas Auger storage tip - Makes perfect sense
« on: Sep 14, 2022, 05:33 PM »
OK. I'm pretty much an electric guy like most of you. I still have a gas powerhead in reserve and will never part with it. Still need to keep it in running order "just in case"

Mousing around the other day I came across a revolutionary method for keeping your auger, or any 2 strike powerhead, in shape for off season protection and guaranteed starting after months of storage.

On a thumbnail: Pour all the gas out of the tank and run any remaining gas out of the carb. Throw in a few ounces of straight 2 stroke oil INTO the tank. Prime it through the carb and pull the rope a few times with the throttle wide open to push it into the cylinder and crankcase. Prime again so the carb is full. Walk away. You are done and your 2 stroke implement has been "seasonalized"

Never like draining the tank. Carb Diaphragms dry out, varnish accumulates, problems ensue. This way, diaphragms are always wetted, fuel tank and crankcase/cylinder is lubricated, no air ever reaches anything to corrode.

At the beginning of the season pour out the oil from the tank. Reuse it if you must. Fill with fresh fuel, prime into the carb, pull a couple/three strokes (ignition off) to purge the cylinder. Ignition on and start as usual. Might have to change/clean the plug after starting and running but most of us do that anyway.

In fairness I have not done this. My routine was to add a ton of oil to the gas in the tank, run it and let it smoke like a banshee and choke it dead. Start up procedure was the same. Never, ever had an issue with starting. Did it with my auger, weed whacker, chain saws, heck... any 2 stroke the saw seasonal use.

I know. Coulda used this more 30 years ago... Still has use on other 2 stroke implements.

FWIW - where I got this idea:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Gas Auger storage tip - Makes perfect sense
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2022, 05:41 PM »
                 ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2022, 06:20 PM »
 i dont winterize anything..fogging oil is a myth.old 2 stroke oil imo gets gummy in a carb and jets.i clean alot of snowblowers where gas has been drained or evaporated over the season and its a gummy mess in the float bowl with the little oil left in the bottom ,jets and tank.everyone does it differently and im fine with that but 1/2 tank of non ethanol fuel and a cap of seafoam is all i use.heres the trick tho,go out and start your engines a few times once every few months.my 71 one armed bandit still runs great and the other 40 engines around here do to.just my worthless opinion.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2022, 06:29 PM »
Run it every month or so and no worries.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2022, 06:22 AM »
 End of season I add some seafoam run it through , no issue here , before seafoam I used stabil

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Something else that works great is to get the super high octane gas at the beginning of the season. I don't mean from the pumps. I mean the stuff you can let the sun shine on. You can buy it in liter cans at the hardware store. It is pre-mixed two stroke fuel. It is super expensive but high octane. Burns hot and clean and will clean out anything that gums up your machine. i run a can of it through at the beginning of every season and it keeps my auger running great. Well worth the 7 bucks a can give the $500 I already have into the auger.

flyfish59102

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2022, 06:04 PM »
Best save your money and put it towards something else. High-octane does nothing for an auger engine. It does not burn any cleaner than 89 octane that these engines are designed to run on, especially in a 2 stroke. High octane will not "clean out" an engine. These engines aren't high-comp and don't need high octane. There's just as many BTU's of energy in 89 as there is in 92 or higher. You won't be getting knock or pre-ignition in an 8:1 ratio two stroke. What you SHOULD run is non-oxy, though. That DOES just happen to be a higher octane, because it's designed to run in older engines that had higher compression, not the low-comp of present day mass produced low cost engines. Save yourself some bucks and get a gallon of good non-oxy and mix it with a good stabilized (as most are now) two-stroke synthetic oil. You won't have any issues.  ;)

Whether or not a higher octane fuel improves or impairs an engine's performance depends on the design of the engine. In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in higher-compression gasoline engines, which may yield higher power for these type of  engines. Such higher power comes from the fuel's higher compression by the engine design, and not directly from the gasoline.[1]

From Performance Engine Builder article.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2022, 07:07 PM »
True.im not sure if we are talking true race fuel or just the non ethanol with premix in a can.only time i ever ran race fuel was mixing it half with non ethanol fuel in my dirtbikes in the sand dunes.ahh the old golden spectro days..augers are very low performance engines and theres no benefit of running it in a small low performance engine.jmo

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2022, 07:47 AM »

I run Non-E in everything except my truck

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2022, 08:05 AM »
True.im not sure if we are talking true race fuel or just the non ethanol with premix in a can.only time i ever ran race fuel was mixing it half with non ethanol fuel in my dirtbikes in the sand dunes.ahh the old golden spectro days..augers are very low performance engines and theres no benefit of running it in a small low performance engine.jmo

Not sure which he means either. Trufuel in a can is 92 octane, same as pump non-oxy. (which is all Trufuel is anyway, yer just paying for convenience) Avgas is 100 octane; Race fuel is 118 octane. Hope he ain't using that!  :pinch:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.