Author Topic: What are we working on???  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What are we working on???
« on: Sep 09, 2022, 07:21 PM »
Ok, Football has started and archery starts soon, what do you have in your icefishing back pocket???

I have some tipups that may need some tlc!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: What are we working on???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2022, 07:49 PM »

The Hole Hopper XE (extra easy). A couple of little things to do yet.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2022, 11:27 AM »
Nice

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02:00 PM »
Picked up a new ATV this year. No more walking for me, so will be adding a hitch to the flipover here soon.  Also working on storage options for the ATV.  Time to do some google searching and moc-ups!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02:35 PM »
During the summer I work 9 days/week so that when hunting, more importantly, ice fishing season comes around, 40 hrs/week is easy. No new crazy additions to my lineup this year, just knowledge that I have acquired. Did get this tasty beast for some awesome stews on the ice!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2022, 08:47 AM »
Starting to think about ice stuff, not much new planned for this year. Gotta go through the wheeler and make sure it's ready, needs some control arm bushings and other little maintenance. Sold my 2 older sleds and bought a new one but that's more a riding toy than a fishing rig. I've got some older traps that I plan to refinish for a good friend that's been living in California for 20 years, he finally blew a gasket with all the craziness out there and had to move back to the hills he grew up on. I feel a good season coming along boys (and Guinea)!!
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2022, 08:47 AM »
nice looking Bruin that will make for some tasty vittles on the ice!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Nice work Iceassin, seeing your sled setup makes me want to construct something for my sled, I found a nice long and not too wide sled last winter that beat the old toboggan I was using. Gunna have to pull it down from the attic and get some measurements, thanks for the inspiration IA, I'll post pictures in a couple weeks once I get it built and together.

Picked up some random tipups throughout the summer flea market and yard sale season gotta give them some TLC as well.

Awesome bear Dipstick, been fortunate with whitetails but haven't had a BB opportunity since 4 years ago when I had a nice 300+ in my yard ripping apart my beehives. Shoulda took the shot when I had the chance.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2022, 01:14 PM »
Nice work Iceassin, seeing your sled setup makes me want to construct something for my sled, I found a nice long and not too wide sled last winter that beat the old toboggan I was using. Gunna have to pull it down from the attic and get some measurements, thanks for the inspiration IA, I'll post pictures in a couple weeks once I get it built and together.

Picked up some random tipups throughout the summer flea market and yard sale season gotta give them some TLC as well.

Awesome bear Dipstick, been fortunate with whitetails but haven't had a BB opportunity since 4 years ago when I had a nice 300+ in my yard ripping apart my beehives. Shoulda took the shot when I had the chance.

Thanks. It is now complete. Maybe paint the PVC...next year. I should not have to squat or bend over for anything...except for the occasional drop of something.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2022, 08:42 PM »
Nice bear, I'm looking forward to some bear stew on an overnight. 

I still have not had a chance to bust out the tipups.

I may be in the market for a flip over for 2, any recommendations?  I have not done any research yet.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2022, 06:56 AM »

I may be in the market for a flip over for 2, any recommendations?  I have not done any research yet.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=389003.msg4249487#msg4249487
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2022, 06:13 PM »
\

I'm still looking to replace my larger flip (that I no longer have) with a single. It was a Shappell (equivalent to the FX150) and I loved it, but too heavy for me alone, so I'm still trying for an FX100. Lighter than the rest, and I've had great luck with all my Shappell stuff. A two person would be the FX200. They are now owned by Eagle Claw, so I don't know how the quality is now.I also wonder if they'll have them this year, as the FX series was on hold last year, but it's something to consider, if you want to. :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2022, 06:36 PM »
(and Guinea)!!

lol I'm just one of the crowd, but thanks for including me. You're so nice to me that I'm making you my nephew. Unfortunately, you missed out on a lot of good fishing gifts from Auntie over the years. I'm gonna make you a bucktail to make up for it. It will look like crape, but the fish won't know lol

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2022, 11:09 AM »
lol I'm just one of the crowd, but thanks for including me. You're so nice to me that I'm making you my nephew. Unfortunately, you missed out on a lot of good fishing gifts from Auntie over the years. I'm gonna make you a bucktail to make up for it. It will look like crape, but the fish won't know lol

Haha, one can never have too many Aunties... You're gonna have to meet up with us again this season.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2022, 02:57 PM »
ordering some new shimano spinning reels and will reline spools with pline. starting to get prepped.. sorted out a few reels with bad drags will save everything for spare parts. once those reels die illl replace with shimano.
Salmonemia

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2022, 07:22 PM »
ordering some new shimano spinning reels and will reline spools with pline. starting to get prepped.. sorted out a few reels with bad drags will save everything for spare parts. once those reels die illl replace with shimano.

I just looked up pline. is that your answer to shallow water, or do you think it makes a difference in deeper water? (serious question)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2022, 08:05 PM »
I just looked up pline. is that your answer to shallow water, or do you think it makes a difference in deeper water? (serious question)
I jig max depths of around 40ft. I just think it's an excellent line and is very strong and supple in cold weather.  The 4lb is this but very strong.  Probably as strong as 6lb or more. Ties well and holds up. No break offs at all. It's all I use now.
Cx premium is what I use.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 02, 2022, 08:06 PM »
I'm sure it's fine for tip up use as well.
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2022, 08:26 AM »
I'm still looking to replace my larger flip (that I no longer have) with a single.

That's what I did, just bought an older Frabil Recon for early and late ice when I'm not bringing the snowmobile. It's like 45lbs and fits in the bed of my truck under the tonneau cover which should make me a lot more mobile.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2022, 09:20 AM »
Ended up working on the Clam Blazer this past weekend.  Like this for early and late ice times.  Added a PVC holder for the little buddy heater to keep it from tipping over, and added a net storage to the side.  Need to find a way to add a chair back to a bucket. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2022, 09:01 PM »
I just came up with a project. I just planned a trip in January that will include a day of fishing at a pike place ( self induced. I'm going to be on a lake with a bunch of people. I will leave them all to go fishing). Since I acquired a trap basket full of Heritage traps, I think I should get them set up for the outing. A lot of pound test with steel leader, I guess.

I'll catch perch all day on a steel leader with bait bigger than the perch I catch, I know. Perch are jerks.

Offline Matt S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2022, 12:37 PM »
After a health scare this summer, I'm looking forward to getting out on the ice this winter. Ive been out a few times with friends the last couple years but want to do more this season.

I want to build some cusk lines.  Looking for recommendations from the group regarding type and length of line, as well as what to choose for weight and leader (strength and length).

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2022, 11:25 AM »
I just came up with a project. I just planned a trip in January that will include a day of fishing at a pike place ( self induced. I'm going to be on a lake with a bunch of people. I will leave them all to go fishing). Since I acquired a trap basket full of Heritage traps, I think I should get them set up for the outing. A lot of pound test with steel leader, I guess.

I'll catch perch all day on a steel leader with bait bigger than the perch I catch, I know. Perch are jerks.
Nice,   We look forward to the pictures.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2022, 10:18 AM »
Couple things for me:

-silverado needs new tires. 
-I have 14 heritage traps that need a reseal/paintjob and new hardware.
-need another set of rod reel combos for the jaw jacker collection which currently sits at 12.
-need to give away 6 rod reel combos that dont fit the jaw jacker tubes.  32" mh sticks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.