Author Topic: Electric heater for sleeping in pop up  (Read 4153 times)

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electric heater for sleeping in pop up
« on: Aug 01, 2022, 07:26 PM »
I've researched this topic but there are mixed comments and not a ton of info out there.  The last few years I've been trying unsuccessfully to sleep in my polar bird 4T pop up fish house.  I dont want to sleep with a big buddy.  Last year I purchased a $300 -10 rated bag and that didn't do the trick.  This year I added a $250 cold weather pad.  I use a cot and multiple sleeping pads.  My polar bird comes with a floor.  Ivd researched all the tricks about what to wear to sleep and boiling water, staying hydrated, using hand warmer packs...... I'm trying to spell out the scenario to avoid redundant information.   

My question is if I buy a ceramic heater and a 2k generator do you think the heater on low (750 watt output) will keep the fish house above freezing at night?  I don't need it to be 70 degrees.  I would take 40 gladly.  Just so long as the holes stay open and I can sleep. 

Yes I know this will cost a lot in gas.  Yes I know trillions of people every year sleep with a big buddy and are fine.   Yes I know this is an inefficient costly option.  I'm really just interested to know if folks think this will keep the house above freezing and hear from those who may have tried something similar. 

BTW my polar bird house is 57 sq ft. 

Also interested to hear if anyone has used an electric blanket

Thanks

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Electric heater for sleeping in pop up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2022, 09:31 PM »
For the weight and price, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to use a deep cycle 12 volt battery and an inverter?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2022, 09:51 PM »
For the weight and price, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to use a deep cycle 12 volt battery and an inverter?

Maybe.  Would that last the weekend if I used jt to power the heater for 6 hours a night?

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2022, 07:16 AM »
The new Buddy heaters are  safe to use indoors. Hook it up to a 20 lb tank and it will last a long time

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2022, 11:28 AM »
He’s right about the Buddy. If you’re worried crack the zipper a touch, they turn off if low oxygen. Set it up in your yard and put a co2 detector in there, they tell you the level if you get a decent one. Are you worried about oxygen or co2?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2022, 11:30 AM »
CO. Co2 makes yer beer & soda bubbly.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2022, 12:01 PM »
I've researched this topic but there are mixed comments and not a ton of info out there.  The last few years I've been trying unsuccessfully to sleep in my polar bird 4T pop up fish house.  I dont want to sleep with a big buddy.  Last year I purchased a $300 -10 rated bag and that didn't do the trick.  This year I added a $250 cold weather pad.  I use a cot and multiple sleeping pads.  My polar bird comes with a floor.  Ivd researched all the tricks about what to wear to sleep and boiling water, staying hydrated, using hand warmer packs...... I'm trying to spell out the scenario to avoid redundant information.   

My question is if I buy a ceramic heater and a 2k generator do you think the heater on low (750 watt output) will keep the fish house above freezing at night?  I don't need it to be 70 degrees.  I would take 40 gladly.  Just so long as the holes stay open and I can sleep. 

Yes I know this will cost a lot in gas.  Yes I know trillions of people every year sleep with a big buddy and are fine.   Yes I know this is an inefficient costly option.  I'm really just interested to know if folks think this will keep the house above freezing and hear from those who may have tried something similar. 

BTW my polar bird house is 57 sq ft. 

Also interested to hear if anyone has used an electric blanket

Thanks
A 750 watt ceramic heater puts out about 5,100 BTUs which is a bit more than half of what a Portable Buddy heater produces on the high setting. Your shelter is insulated with a floor. I would think it would work well unless conditions were very cold and windy. With a 2k genny you could use a larger ceramic heater on a lower setting until you need more heat.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2022, 02:33 PM »
You’re right Rebs, thank God for co2!🍺You’re 2000 watt generator will run a 1500 watt heater just fine overnight because you won’t be running anything but a small fan and maybe a led light. My 2000 does everything I need but can only run a coffee pot, toaster, ceramic heater or anything else with a heating element. One of the above with a tv and lights are fine. My 16x8 wheelhouse, completely foamed top to bottom barely heats with a 2500 watt heater with any substantial wind when real cold.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2022, 04:00 PM »
When i leave my stabbin' cabin over night i use a 12v rechargeable fan clipped to a buddy heater on low / pointed at the hole & not had more than some slush to clear in da morning. Keeps the mirror from fogging too while I'm fishing.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2022, 06:12 PM »
Heating a tent when it is cold and windy is a tall order. If you want to try, I would suggest the mods that replace one of the windows in your shack with a stove jack and put in a wood or propane stove vented to the outside. I have also thought that the self contained diesel heaters would have enough poop to do the job, and they vent outside as well.
If you are just trying to sleep, put an electric hot pad in your sleeping bag. That should keep you toasty warm, and uses a lot less energy than trying to heat the entire shelter.  A buddy also has had good success letting his Brittany spaniels sleep down in the bottom of the bag. That is where the phrase " a 3 dog night" comes from.

:tipup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2022, 06:42 PM »
I'd maybe give one of the new diesel heaters a whirl.........Just my opinion.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2022, 12:36 PM »
I know a bit more but what about the new electric generators, see a lot of them on YouTube and with the solar charge for the day might be something of not having to pack gas and all with youbfor the generator.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #12 on: Aug 31, 2022, 05:13 PM »
"For the weight and price, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to use a deep cycle 12 volt battery and an inverter?"

A 750 w heater connected to a 12 v battery would pull over 60 amps.  (750/12)

You wanna run for 6 hours.  So 6 hours x 60 A =360 AH.  If you dconnect that to an inverter you'd have to add 20 to 30 % more battery capacity to account for inverter losses.  So let's forget the inverter.

If you use a li-ion battery rated 360 AH it would only cost $4730 + tax...

You could buy a boat load of sleepin bags and long johns for that price...

https://expion360.com/products/360-ah-lithium-battery
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2022, 07:02 PM »
Go to WinterCampingSymposium .com. These guys (and gals) camp out in 40 below because they think it’s fun. Their website is loaded with proven techniques for enjoying camping in extreme cold. Good luck.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2022, 09:52 PM »
I'd maybe give one of the new diesel heaters a whirl.........Just my opinion.

I agree with Rebelss about looking into a diesel heater.  I've slept in my pop-up 6x8 ice fishing shelter during a 9F elk hunt with a Mr Buddy.  While I didn't have any issues and many people do it, even with a lot of windows opened it was always in the back of my mind.  With the the diesel heaters all the cumbustion happens in the unit (placed outside) and only warm air blows into the tent or other shelter.  I don't know how they would perform outside on a lake with snow whipping around however. 

The wood stove in my permanent wheeled shack gives off awesome dry heat but needs to be stoked every 3-4 hours so a solid night of sleeping isn't an option without restoking. 
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2022, 08:18 AM »
I agree with Rebelss about looking into a diesel heater.  I've slept in my pop-up 6x8 ice fishing shelter during a 9F elk hunt with a Mr Buddy.  While I didn't have any issues and many people do it, even with a lot of windows opened it was always in the back of my mind.  With the the diesel heaters all the cumbustion happens in the unit (placed outside) and only warm air blows into the tent or other shelter.  I don't know how they would perform outside on a lake with snow whipping around however. 

The wood stove in my permanent wheeled shack gives off awesome dry heat but needs to be stoked every 3-4 hours so a solid night of sleeping isn't an option without restoking.

I burn Canawick bricks in my cylinder stove and consistently get 7 hours burn time out of one brick, sometimes a bit more! With that being said, I bought a diesel heater this fall and am adding it to the ice shack. It will be nice to have hassle free heat and a consistent temperature and not have to deal with ashes, smoke from the occasional backdraft, and creosote buildup in the chimney.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2022, 02:21 PM »
I would never sleep in a propane heated tent overnight. Guys do it here all the time. But systems fail and we've had a few deaths as a result.
Guys have turned to bringing a battery operated CO detector as a failsafe. But I don't trust those either.

Agree 100% with ya. Problem with the batt CO detectors are they're cumulative detectors, meaning the CO must build up to a certain level; no instant read on those things, but they're better than nothing. And the low-oxy sensors on Buddy heaters mean squat. What's your life worth?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2022, 09:23 AM »
Go to WinterCampingSymposium .com. These guys (and gals) camp out in 40 below because they think it’s fun. Their website is loaded with proven techniques for enjoying camping in extreme cold. Good luck.

Yep, it's more about technique than equipment. When I was a young man I took a NOLS course where we alpine camped in the winter with no heat whatsoever and it can definitely be done comfortably.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.