Author Topic: Hyfax rails  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hyfax rails
« on: Jul 29, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Tree branch fell on da shed & crushed a smitty that i just built last summer.
Not up for another build so I'm going w/ da jet sleds. My question is : do hyfax kit make for an easier drag or are they used for wear &  tear. I really don't want to spend 60.00 to prevent wear on a 75.00 sled.
Swift Tines

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hyfax rails
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Dam, that sucks, I think they just help with wear and tear on the sled.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2022, 06:04 AM »
I put some uhmw runners on my sled last season after 2 or 3 seasons without. I just used homemade, cut strips from a sheet rescued out of the scrap bin.
On concrete or bare ice, no question it slides a lot easier. Once there was snow/slush or pulling through the woods there wasn’t any difference, but it didn’t hurt either.
My sled was getting thin spots in the rear corners, hoping these runners give me a few more seasons with it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2022, 06:39 AM »
In moderate snow conditions 4 inches or less there is a difference ...after that its best to use a Smitty Sled .Also the sled will tend to track better when pulled behind an ATV/snowmoble with the hyfax/runner kit.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2022, 03:54 PM »
I dont think they make it pull easier at all really.saves the sled but a smitty is a great improvement for pulling and protects the sled.I would build another smitty before hyfax.jmo

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Tree branch fell on da shed & crushed a smitty that i just built last summer.
Not up for another build so I'm going w/ da jet sleds. My question is : do hyfax kit make for an easier drag or are they used for wear &  tear. I really don't want to spend 60.00 to prevent wear on a 75.00 sled.
Swift Tines

Where are you shopping that you're spending $60 on a hyfax kit??
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2022, 07:37 AM »
Where are you shopping that you're spending $60 on a hyfax kit??

More then likely it is Amazon pricing ...stock at most other retailers looks to be depledted... with the  assumption he has a Shappel Jet Sled . I know hyfax/runner kits for flip overs have not budged.. going anywher from $50 to $75 . Kittery Trading Post usually has them in stock in the begining of the season ...they offer discount codes quite often . Recommend the OP sign up for their Emails to keep on top of the codes.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2022, 09:34 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/HDPE-SLED-HYFAX-Runner-KIT/dp/B003KZ0MSW/ref=asc_df_B003KZ0MSW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312075492617&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11673583839246703801&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019794&hvtargid=pla-559491946452&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67626973412&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312075492617&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11673583839246703801&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019794&hvtargid=pla-559491946452

I purchased that kit ...it will be going on my Jet Sled 1 before the start of the season ...my concern is that the screws screw from inside/through the sled and then into the hyfax not certain that the best way of securring them   as both the Shappel hyfax and the Frabill hyfax kits I have installed on  Jet Sled XL and my two flip over tubs  bolt from the bottom through the hyfax then through the bottom of the sled/tub . Both the Frabill and Shappel came with good hardware .

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2022, 10:11 AM »
 Eskimo kits come with a counter sink tool
 And are UHMWPE
 I’m fortunate to have a plastic shop near by that sells it

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Eskimo kits come with a counter sink tool
 And are HDPE ,
 I’m fortunate to have a plastic shop near by that sells it

I am in souther NY does this company have a website by chance ?

Heads up both the Shappell and Frabill kits come predrilled and countersunk as well .

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2022, 01:27 PM »
I am in souther NY does this company have a website by chance ?

Heads up both the Shappell and Frabill kits come predrilled and countersunk as well .
Yes I know  but changing out let’s say  from otter or clam , holes won’t match up
 clam so without you can line them up yourself

They like to sell sheets
https://www.polymershapes.com/locations/syracuse/

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2022, 02:23 PM »
One of the must-have kits in your home drill bit sets....you'll use 'em for everything...I sure do.

This one comes with their  kit , bottom it out and done , impossible to over or under countersink 😉

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2022, 04:16 PM »
Yea the jet sled kit is on Amazon for 57.00, but the one for. my trekker is only 27.00
Personally i prefer step drill bits. Put some tape on the shank where you want to stop & the hole is tapered.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2022, 05:03 PM »
Yea the jet sled kit is on Amazon for 57.00, but the one for. my trekker is only 27.00
Personally i prefer step drill bits. Put some tape on the shank where you want to stop & the hole is tapered.

Where are you finding the Frabill Trekker hyfax for $27 ? That is really not to bad of a price .

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2022, 05:41 PM »
I prefer carbide smooth-bore tapered countersink bits with a tall cold Miller longneck.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2022, 05:51 PM »
Yes I know  but changing out let’s say  from otter or clam , holes won’t match up
 clam so without you can line them up yourself

They like to sell sheets
https://www.polymershapes.com/locations/syracuse/
I’ll be ready soon to order a sheet of that Freddie. And, can you get me one of those bits?👍🏻
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2022, 07:50 AM »
I’ll be ready soon to order a sheet of that Freddie. And, can you get me one of those bits?👍🏻
If I can’t , your welcome to use mine
 Let me know when you pick it up I’ll split the cost , they may have a sheet in stock , they did when I last spoke with them

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2022, 04:03 PM »
Where are you finding the Frabill Trekker hyfax for $27 ? That is really not to bad of a price .

Same page on Amazon as the jet sled ones, but my trekker is made by Pelican

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Same page on Amazon as the jet sled ones, but my trekker is made by Pelican

Sent you two PM's .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2022, 05:52 PM »
Thanks for the vine hardwater.
Ordered 1 & if they fit the jetsled too I'll be able to do em both for under 35.00

Swift Tines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.