Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
2 questions
« on: Mar 10, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Hello, two questions for you guys, sorry to the purest on the site that don’t like these post. I enjoy learning from your posts.
1. What’s the best compact ice hand auger? Trying to fit in my trunk at school.
2. I’m a college student at unh, on spring break this week live in southern NH, looking to find some ice next week, how far up 93 will I have to go to find ice?
Sorry for asking about conditions, I know I should drive myself and check it out.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2022, 06:40 PM »
Your going to get  alot of opinion on the auger..any of the lightweight drill augers are excellent.. pure hand augers like the nils ..master,  more or strike master ar good..

I've been out every day this week in the lakes region..plenty of ice in the 24" range.. this  weekends weather may damage the access points
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Grab yourself a 50 dollar Eskimo hand crank and give it hell

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:09 PM »
Most of the hand models come with foldable handles or two piece design... so fitting in your trunk should be no issue.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:13 PM »
For affordability and “cut-ability”, you’ll have a hard time beating a Mini Nero…and oh yeah, the blades are reasonable as well!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2022, 09:31 PM »
I have a jiffy propane auger but doesn’t fit in car, only truck, I bought a ht ice auger e drill and Milwaukee drill but said why am I spending 400$ on a auger. I’m a young guy I can drill holes myself. initially I had a really bad hand auger so thought they all worked poorly. But saw some old guys going through quick with them, thanks a lot for the help.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2022, 10:06 PM »
For a hand auger, a offset handle is a game changer. Way easier and faster than a straight handle. Folding offset is even better. A few are Nils($$$), mini Nero($) and Jiffy4656($) all with folding offset handle.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2022, 04:09 AM »
For a hand auger, a offset handle is a game changer. Way easier and faster than a straight handle. Folding offset is even better. A few are Nils($$$), mini Nero($) and Jiffy4656($) all with folding offset handle.

100% agree
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2022, 05:07 AM »
If you're considering a used hand auger, be wary if someone drops it on the blade, many times it changes the angle just enough to make it cut poorly even with new blades. You'd then have to shim the blade for it to cut properly. I fished a small pond yesterday and there was plenty of ice , but the edges are starting to go fast.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2022, 05:45 AM »
I like my strikemaster a lot, with the mora blades. I think it was $89. I replaced the blades last year after 3 seasons.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2022, 07:11 AM »
For affordability and “cut-ability”, you’ll have a hard time beating a Mini Nero…and oh yeah, the blades are reasonable as well!

X2, Mini Nero gets my vote for an affordable hand cranker.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2022, 08:58 AM »
For a hand crank auger I would strongly recommend sticking with a 6" diameter or less.  Your shoulders will thank me later!

Nils cut easy but the blades are sensitive and expensive to get sharpened.

HT Nero is a good choice as well as the Strikemaster Laser.  Blades are cheaper and easier to get sharpened.

As far as how far north.  Probably not that far.  Edges may start getting sketchy.  Bring a plank and check as you go.  Also look for shaded shorelines to get on.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2022, 09:34 AM »
I have a nills 8” with a drill attachment, I’ve used it as a hand auger too and cuts nice but if you are drilling a lot of holes like I do then you’ll want an auger with a drill attachment. Doesn’t matter how young you are hand cranking 20 plus holes is just not efficient  and you’ll feel it the next day. but that’s just me. If you plan on fishing the big lakes and only drilling a few holes then go for it. Nills are a little pricey but you get what you pay for. I just had my blades sharpened and only cost me 40$  You won’t have to sharpen them often unless you drill into sand or damage the blades. They are sensitive, with sharp blades and an 18 volt drill on low speed you won’t have a problem

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2022, 06:23 PM »
I use to race my father using a StrikeMaster Lazer hand auger against is Jiffy Legend 3.5  HP auger.  I beat him every time through 12" of ice. 

One day my father said let's make it the best of ten holes....  I still have the hand auger.  I have a Jiffy 10" Pro4 and a Clamplate with the Rigid Octane drill 9ah battery and an E-Drill bit.  That's my favorite run and gun rig.  The blades are fast but sensitive.

I'd say break the auger down and put that in your car.  Save the money from a new auger and use it for gas.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2022, 11:47 AM »

That would be my choice for a hand auger if I had the need. They look great.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mike mead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2022, 03:28 PM »
how many young kids will be attending,  just kiding

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2022, 02:39 PM »
If you are young in years, a hand auger is all you need. The Nils auger are awesome but the price of the auger and price of blades is pretty high. I were starting out now I would probably by a cheaper lazer/mora/strikemaster auger to get started.  Although I not a dedicated bass/pike angler I have never caught a fish I couldn't get through my 6" hole so its plenty in my opinion. Whatever brand you get be sure to respect the blades - they will cut your hands/boots/jacket/dog just as easy as the ice.

As far as shoulder strength to turn the auger - be sure to get out consistently through the season, and be sure to blast a number of holes every time you go out - even if you don't need them. You will condition your muscles. Start early in the season on 6" of ice and its no problem. Week by week you get stronger as the ice gets thicker. I lived in maine and would routinely be drilling through 30"+ with the hand auger late in the season but since I was conditioned to it, it was no sweat.

No motors, no batteries, no headaches!
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:08 PM »
For best bang for the buck a Mora 6 inch light and cuts fast 8 inch will slow you down cutting wise but will provide a bigger hole. If you can find a 6 inch auger with offset handle that is key . Nils 6.inch is better and more durable than an 8..sharpening is a bit of a challenge tho. Maybe a Nero 6 or 8 inch will suit your needs. Just my opinion but a mora will do you just fine. And the blades are easy to find. Good luck
Salmonemia

Offline Icenoobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2022, 10:08 PM »
I’ve had good luck with a Strikemaster Lazer 6”. Only two seasons in, as the name might imply.

It took 2-3 holes to get the hang of it, but then it’s easy. Went through 18-20” of ice this season in about 20-30 seconds per hole. We cut 12-20 holes per outing. Easy enough that my wife cuts holes almost as quickly. For reference I’m almost 50, have a beer belly and am out of breath typing. You’ll be fine.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:03 AM »
For best bang for the buck a Mora 6 inch light and cuts fast 8 inch will slow you down cutting wise but will provide a bigger hole. If you can find a 6 inch auger with offset handle that is key . Nils 6.inch is better and more durable than an 8..sharpening is a bit of a challenge tho. Maybe a Nero 6 or 8 inch will suit your needs. Just my opinion but a mora will do you just fine. And the blades are easy to find. Good luck

If you saw my 8" nils youd never think it coukd cut a hole by how beat it is.  Yet it works fine year after year.  The nero is junk.  Cuts nice but its junk. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.