The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Alligator Lake  (Read 3018 times)

Offline raymondnolan

• IceShanty Rookie
Alligator Lake
« on: Mar 10, 2022, 10:32 AM »
Anyone ever fish Alligator off Rt 9? Pretty strict regulations, but I'd like to give it a shot. What's access like?

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Alligator Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2022, 03:27 PM »
Sled only.

Fished it years ago, it’s been a declining fishery for some time due to access issues.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Access in the winter is dependent on timber harvesting activities and whether or not they plow the road.  They have not been plowing this year.  Access is at the boat landing on the southeast end of the lake. 

As noted, fishing has been declining in recent years.  Plenty of yellow perch though. 

Offline Fin Reaper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Expect the unexspected"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2022, 02:40 PM »
     Haven't fished it since they changed the regulations.  Use to be "football" salmon in there up until 10 years ago.  Not sure what's going on in this body of water.  Probably the same as all the rest. 
     As a side note:  If your from the old town/Milford/Amherst area there is a book called "Munsungun To The Sea".  It is about the wood cutting operations late 1800's into the 1900's.  There's a section of two guys catching huge landlock Salmon out of Nicatous Lake (a bit north of Alligator).  I have a camp on Eagle Lake (Deer Lake area), grew up in the area and I was able to find some of the remnants of man Made dams on Big Gaugus Stream and Partridge Brook.  The book ($$$) is rare so I found a buddy who had one and I made a copy.
     Happy fishing!

Offline raymondnolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I've heard a few mixed reviews and wanted to see what other people thought. As long as Studmill Road is open, I'm going to go fish it with a buddy. Hopefully we can get into some brookies or salmon. I fish out of Hermon, so it's not a terrible drive. I've been tempted to try Nicatous and Great ponds, maybe a future trip.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2022, 08:10 AM »
Used to be my favorite "away game "" in the 80's and early 90's.  Beautiful fish and scenery but then the internet got ahold of it forcing changes to the regs in an attempt to salvage.   One opening day we counted over 100 vehicles.   All yellow perch now sadly.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Yellow perch are the most sort after fish now after leaving them on ice for years once i tried a few ill never throw them back again . if you go over to NH and want a fish dinner its Yellow perch 20.00 a plate.

Offline raymondnolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Braved the wind today and tried to fish it. Pretty slow morning, only one yellow perch and a chub. Was really hoping to see a brookie, no such luck. Bugged out around lunch and hit another pond before heading home. It's too bad that has become what it is, I really like chasing salmon and trout. Any other good lakes/ponds out that way?

Offline shackdweller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2022, 04:54 AM »
Upper Lead Mountain pond had some nice salmon years ago. Haven’t been in 20 years though.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:47 AM »
Upper Lead Mountain pond had some nice salmon years ago. Haven’t been in 20 years though.

I believe Upper Lead is browns now but havent been down that way in a long time either.  Could try Mopang also.

Offline Nicatous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2023, 10:20 AM »
I've got a fish camp on Nicatous and I've been trying to locate a copy of Munsungun to the Sea by the Bakers.  George was born at the T39 Tannery. I think around 1896. I've done a lot of research in the area and would like to get a copy.  I know they are pricey, but I'd settle for even a poor condition copy.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2023, 10:58 AM »
I've got a fish camp on Nicatous and I've been trying to locate a copy of Munsungun to the Sea by the Bakers.  George was born at the T39 Tannery. I think around 1896. I've done a lot of research in the area and would like to get a copy.  I know they are pricey, but I'd settle for even a poor condition copy.

1)  how are the splake taking hold in Nicatous?
2) any activity around Nicatous Lodge in the winter these days?

Offline Nicatous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2024, 02:37 PM »
Splake still stocked and easier to catch in May/June, then after Jan 1.  Caught some nice LL Salmon this year too late to keep by regs, but ice fishing for them tough drill. ONly fish the basin area so not too familiar with fishing on the Nicatous Lodge section of the lake.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2024, 03:05 PM »
Hmm, I don’t think Alligator has been stocked with anything in a long time.  Still an access issue.  10 years ago maybe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.