The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rain and warm Temps  (Read 3302 times)

Offline 007neiderhiser

• IceShanty Rookie
Rain and warm Temps
« on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:44 PM »
You guys think this week's weather will kill the ice for this weekend or will it be salvageable? This state sucks to ice fish in anymore really hoping the snow absorbs and takes the blunt of it. I remember when I was a kid fishing from Christmas to March! With ice peaking at 16"+ darn global warming anyway lol.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rain and warm Temps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:27 PM »
You guys think this week's weather will kill the ice for this weekend or will it be salvageable? This state sucks to ice fish in anymore really hoping the snow absorbs and takes the blunt of it. I remember when I was a kid fishing from Christmas to March! With ice peaking at 16"+ darn global warming anyway lol.
I don’t know where in PA you are (you can add that to your profile) but much of the state is in good shape.  Some rain is not going to wipe out the ice.  I fished on nine inches today. 

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:05 AM »
Ponds and small lakes will be good but a chance my river ice won’t  >:(

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:31 AM »
Sepa lakes like Hopewell, Marsh creek, Struble are gonna take a beating. They may survive. Yesterday parts of them were already getting sketchy. The slushy snow & sun are killing them.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:06 AM »
I'm looking forward to the rain. It'll soak the snow and turn it to slush and freeze back up. This weekend is looking good. :tipup:

Offline metalsled1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:33 AM »
Spider if you’re north of 80, I agree, good luck fishing this weekend. Down here in York County am not so optimistic. Pinchot and other lakes and ponds in SC/SE PA are gonzo after a good rain and warm temps Thursday. Was at Pinchot yesterday and there was about 5.5” of decent ice where I was, afraid today is the last hurrah. Even with freezing night time temps over the next week, the ice “integrity” is suspect. Now Laurel, with 12”+ of ice, it will hold up but for the rest, am not optimistic. And the further you go into Feb there’s a lot more sun beating the ice. Fingers crossed it’s not over for the season……

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:42 AM »
In northeast PA we have a lot of ice. However they are calling for an inch and a half of rain in southern Luzern county. It’s not gonna destroy the ice, but it’ll definitely take some off. The temps for the following handful of days after the storm looks pretty good though.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:02 AM »
in the areas I fish.  Unless you are fishing a small pond or an area with moving water you should be better off in three days than you are today.  Possibly some shore line issues here and there.  Depending upon where you are it in the state you could be on ice totally different scenario.   

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2022, 11:38 AM »
It’s been very warm and sunny. But SW PA should be good this weekend. I’m planning on hitting Cannonsburg and north park.
Hoping we have 8 more weeks like Phil said!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:08 PM »
yep. I'm in the NE. North of 80. Seems that's the new ice belt line for PA. I got buddies that make the drive up every weekend. Leave an hour earlier and spend the day. Pick your lake and get to know it. I even hear the Pack is seeing some action. It's going to be a good season if you guys down south can stand the traffic. :icefish:

Offline SteelcityYinzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2022, 05:14 PM »
It’s been very warm and sunny. But SW PA should be good this weekend. I’m planning on hitting Cannonsburg and north park.
Hoping we have 8 more weeks like Phil said!

Please let me know how you do there. I didn’t have any luck at Peter’s creek lake on Sunday but I’m wondering if canonsburg will be better.

Offline getting jiggin with it

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Lots of good ice in northeast pa. I agree with Spider the rain should reglaze everything nicely . Tired of standing in slush and dragging gear through snow. I WOULD BE CAREFUL AT PLACES LIKE  F E WALTER JUST IN CASE WATER LEVEL HAS TO RISE . I KNOW DOWN RIVER IN WHITE HAVEN THERE IS A FAIRLY BIG CONSTRUCTION PROJECT GOING ON AT RIVER LEVEL, I THINK NEW RAFTING RAMPS / LAUCH POINT? SO THEY MAY HOLD MORE WATER BACK.

SIDE NOTE    WATCH FOR ICE JAMS ON THE SMALL CREEKS . ALOT ARE ALMOST ALL FROZEN OVER.

Offline 007neiderhiser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:46 PM »
I'm in SW PA Westmoreland County. Warm Temps for couple days don't scare me. But that rain is like falling lava to the ice.....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:21 PM »
Poconos will be good. We have well over a foot of ice. Temps will fall fast Friday morning. Just checked Accuweather and supposed to drop 11* in an hour................sh ould be tight by Saturday morning.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:48 PM »
We fished 8" on Glendale last Sunday with some snow on top. Hopefully this rain kills the snow on the lake, 39 tomorrow and back to 24 Friday as a high. Then a high of 18 Saturday! Should be a great weekend on the ice.
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2022, 06:00 AM »
Got up this morning and let the mutt out, everything was wet and the snow was turning to slush. They are talking about rain and drizzle all day and the temps crashing and turning to light snow Friday morning with an inch of accumulation. That won't be enough to insulate the slush from the cold so it'll tight right up. My plan is coming together perfectly... MWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

:tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:07 AM »
Yep- already starting to puddle on one of the lakes I pass on the way to work this morning.

So where we going this weekend Spider?  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2022, 07:19 AM »
40 and wet here. Looking forward to clean ice. I’m headed west to fish this weekend and it’s looking like this storm is gonna be all snow out that way. 12-15 inches will put the Smitty to work.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:02 AM »
Yep- already starting to puddle on one of the lakes I pass on the way to work this morning.

So where we going this weekend Spider?  ;D

I haven't been on the pack in a while, but Promised land lower is good. I'm doing C+R this season unless I get some decent eating sized perch so I'll even target "trash fish" like stock trout.  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:39 AM »
🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2022, 08:46 AM »
I agree Spider.   Leave the trout for the amateurs who can't catch real native fish......

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:31 AM »
I agree Spider.   Leave the trout for the amateurs who can't catch real native fish......

or got covid and lost their sense of taste,  :roflmao: (too soon?)

Offline bobama

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2022, 11:16 AM »
Not at all lol

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:29 PM »
Somebody got an 8” auger, the 10” was scaring those pansy trout haha 😂

Offline namkeng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2022, 12:50 PM »

Latest PA Outdoor News says it was the 6th warmest year on record. Still got more fishing in than any time in the last few years. I've had a dozen full days out there.

Down here in SWPA I don't know how the ice will hold up. Especially in lower elevations. I was finding a lot of 5" around here on Feb 1. Now we've had a couple of warm days and more to come. Plus melting snow and tons of rain. Next week looks like 4 days will go into the 40's.

You never know, but I remember the years I used to ice fish into March.

Could happen.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Man, what is this.................. pick on RuttNutt day?! 🤨

That’s OK...............unlik e the trout I’m after, I have THICK SKIN! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:58 PM »
nooo, every day is pick on butt nutt day  :whistle: ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2022, 02:14 PM »
Tough crowd! 🙄

You DO know the state fish is a TROUT, right?! 😏
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2022, 02:29 PM »
yeah, the brook trout, and not them nasty stocked cat food brook trout. They are talking about the tasty beautiful native brookies you find in those special streams that don't see no stocking. The ones you need to get in to the craziest hidden places and try and flick a #18 Adams to. Those brook trout.  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Trout snob! 😝
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.