Author Topic: What do you think of these electric snow bikes for getting on the ice?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
They are electric so they are quieter and can transport them in the back of your truck. Not sure if they could pull a sled though.
They are not on the market yet, but looked like a good low cost alternative to getting the ice.

https://moonbikes.com/

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I like the idea of them, besides the important info of towing is; will it need to be registered? I am looking at a fat-tired electric bike as it would be a multi-season tool/toy... I could be wrong, but I bet the cost will be comparable...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
id like it better in a gas version.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
For those that like gas there have been conversion kits around for years; RALE INDUSTRIES ST120 Snow Bike Conversion Kit 10000

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was watching a guy pedal a fat tire pedal bike across the lake on 2'' of powder and glare ice underneath, didn't look like he had studded the tires or anything, Id imagine an electric version with studded tires wouldn't do too bad, I have a coleman minibike I studded the tires on and put beefier off road tires on from the stock and that moves around the ice pretty good

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Chains or studs got to have...

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
They look pretty cool but at $8,500, I'll pass.
The battery also only lasts 1 hour on sport mode, 1 1/2 hours on eco mode.
I would hate to run out of juice on the middle of a lake.

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like a trip to the hospital.  Not practical for ice fishing at $8500.  Oh they will sell some but I doubt I will see an ice fisherman on one.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah at what they will cost, and the potential liability insurance you will undoubtedly NEED, you'd be better off buying a car.

I can imagine what would happen if someone had one and ran into/over someone on a lake/pond, particularly if the person was DUI.
The video shows them riding alongside skiers, but you know that no mountain would allow them on their trails, so I can imagine strict rules and regulations like they have for sleds.

Cost prohibitive, unless you have money to burn.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
Yeah at what they will cost, and the potential liability insurance you will undoubtedly NEED, you'd be better off buying a car.

I can imagine what would happen if someone had one and ran into/over someone on a lake/pond, particularly if the person was DUI.
The video shows them riding alongside skiers, but you know that no mountain would allow them on their trails, so I can imagine strict rules and regulations like they have for sleds.

Cost prohibitive, unless you have money to burn.

How would it be any different than running someone over while operating an ATV or snowmobile?  Especially considering those have much higher top speeds than this Moonbike thing.

Moonbike looks neat, but a Snow Dog is around half the cost (depending on model) and only 5mph slower for top speed. 

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Dave genz runs an electric bike, it’s the future.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
They are electric so they are quieter and can transport them in the back of your truck. Not sure if they could pull a sled though.
They are not on the market yet, but looked like a good low cost alternative to getting the ice.

https://moonbikes.com/

Those look fun, but I don't make enough money to consider them low cost.  I will continue using the true low cost option of leg power.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
I could get two used ~400cc ATV's for 8500. Or like 6 fan-cooled 500 cc snowmobiles.

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
Although those a pretty cool looking, I will stick with my ebike.  Cheaper, and far more versatile.  My ebike is perfect for ice fishing here. 

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I picked my e-bike 2 years ago $846.00 delivered and will do like I see a guy out with his with small chains around his drive tire

Stroller no drag at all

Bud

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A couple years ago I passed someone on a trail to a remote pond who was pedaling a fat tire mountain bike towing a jet sled. He traveled the 8 miles from the road to the pond in just under an hour. Who needs an electric motor?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
This old man...

In High School and College, I would pedal about 500 miles a week and as much as 150 a day, that was a long time ago and after being hit by 5 different cars, I stopped riding. Now an Electric-assist looks real good to me. Dragging stuff on the ice and saving a lot of walking in the summer to get to the spots less fished...

IFF, How many Watts is your E-Bike?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

I saw 1 the other day when I was laker fishing very cool

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Stripernut it's a 24, rated for 25 miles on a full charge, also peddle assist. 1.5 hr to recharge. You want your cold weather clothing on, because at 15mph and 20* you know what that means WIND CHILL  :sick:
Bud

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I know what you mean, I once rode a bike with -80 wind chill (a bitter cold Christmas, a long time ago), I was dressed for it, except for my eyes... They kept freezing closed when I would blink to clear the ice that was forming on them!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
The $8,500 + VAT price is close to prohibitive. It looks cool, but....

If I buy a bike for icefishing, it's gonna be an adult trike. Maybe pedal power, maybe electric. They make them with up to 26" wheels. Most come standard with shopping baskets front and rear. The Schwinn pedal ones are about $400. On glare ice, with studded tires, you could zip to your tipups quickly and quietly, bait bucket and tools in basket. No danger of taking a flipper.  :) :tipup:

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you can afford a good one and get it rigged up properly and are able to easily tote it around to your fishing spots especially in PA i think they're great. PA for instance does not allow snowmobiles or other internal combustion  powered outdoor type vehicles on the ice any longer but a bicycle is a completely different deal. No matter where you are and if you have a few extra thousand to spend for a good outfit I say go for it. The one occasion I saw some using one in PA where I was fishing and I only saw it on land along the lake shore heading back. I couldn't help noticing that it sure beat the heck out of dragging a heavily loaded sled through there as I've done for decades.
ttt

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've seen them on some lakes moving around pretty nice..
My son-n-law and daughter each have one...the price is higher now..a few years ago they paid 5,000 a peice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think they will work too good in slush. 

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Slush hasn't slowed me down, but now sadly for my love of ice fishing I find myself retiring to a farm in TN, so I see in my near future shedding most of my ice gear, including a clam flip over.
Bud

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
Pretty neat but I paid less than that for my side x side

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ya right, electric bicycles on the ice have fun with that.
I'll keep riding my Yamaha atv/utv thank you very much!

smitty :tipup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
I've been riding my ebike to work for years and am finally gonna try it this year on ice. Its a 500 watt fat tire bike that cost 1800 new. I already have a tongue for my sled that hooks right up to the back rack on the bike. I've used my bike for grocery shopping and have hauled many cases of beer on the rack through snow and ice. I just saw a video of Dave Genz riding his and I'm ready to try mine on the lake. I think mine still sells for around 2k new if anyone is interested in looking one up. It's an SSR Motorsports Sandviper. 48 volt lithium ion. Don't let the prices of these things scare you as I've seen ebikes for 5k or more at Scheels for only 250 watts. A good solid steel bike with a hub motor (500 watt min I'd recommend) can still be had for 2k or less.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hmm...I live in Boulder County...the bike and greenie capitol of the world...never thought of an ebike for ice fishing.  Closest I've come is buying a knock off Burley Trailer on CList for $15 to mod and tote my auger/gear to the back bays of a metro reservoir using the bike paths that surround it.  There's been no ice since I made it but I used it once to tote beers and Tito's to a friends BBQ in the next Subdivision over from our place. 

Word to the wise...if its dark and you're hammered...the ride home sucks. :blink:

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Baetis62 that picture of the baby stroller on mine was at Aurora Reservoir.  ;D  riding on ice, and snow covered takes another learning curve.  I usually ride mine throddle only and have my boots out like outriggers.  For towing a sled on Lake Mendota, Wisconsin, I chained up the drive wheel.

Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.