Author Topic: best quality jigging day ever (2#15oz average top 5) and a goodbye  (Read 3512 times)

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
had my best 5 fish bass day of my life yesterday on an eastern public lake and it happened on the ice and jigging 5mm and 6mm jigs.  the top 5 fish collectively weighed 14#12oz; 18-1/8" 3#, 17-1/2" 2#7oz, 19-3/8" 2#15oz (seems way too low but will honor the scale, it was thin but to be 1+ pound off a more healthy fish seems excessive) 18-5/8" 3#3oz and 18" 3#.  i caught and released 48 fish total (20 bass, 21 yellow perch, 5 pickerel, 2 bluegill)  i lost a 6+ pound bass at the hole after a 90 second battle...the upper drop shot hook got hung up on the edge of the ice and allowed the line below it to go slack.  asking a small #8 or #12 hook to hold the top, wide and bony bass mouth is difficult at best.  several bass that i lifted out of the hole had the jig slide back out into the fishes throat as soon as tension relaxed.  the other 7 fish a lost were the same cookie cutter 17-19" (2.5-3.25#) fish i suspect as i could feel their weight and strength by reels drag.  the smallest perch i caught was about 9" with the much larger bait.  i did not measure any of the perch but suspect 2 were over 13" and about 8 of them were over 12"  just about all were over 10.5".  nice that even the bigger bait can appeal to the larger peach which i enjoy catching.

so what changed to finally start catching many larger fish?  i mentioned in another recent thread about an experience with a large walleye up north a couple month backs.  that sold me the direction i needed to go but i needed to address a large issue which i why i lost that fish.  one of the most important things i have learned on connecticut waters is the importance of suggesting life/food over all other things.   the dressing that scientific observations had me discover early on, which i put on the jigs suggests life better than anything else that has crossed my mind.  this is why, even the sparse version i fished predominantly for the last 3 years works so well on a 5mm jig.  after catching 6000+ fish and landing some large fish and losing many more i knew early on this dressing stimulates most fish to feed.  there were also many larger fish over the years which i never detected a bite from and the couple previous versions i tried to scale up had their own problems.  i now fish a larger profile and more basic version to simulate larger food.  i have had various prototypes over the last 3 months and this current one is probably going to get the node moving forward.

my father was fishing 6 tilts with me this day and he caught 3 bass.  two 17-18" basss and one about 15".  over the last 3 years he has received just about all the fishing reports from each of my adventures.  he was the first person i called when i thought of this dressing driving home one day from some errands.  he was present the first day i fished it on beach pond and caught several fish when just the voluntown beach side had ice and there were 30+ people fishing it. i hooked a monster fish that first day that still haunts me, upon reflection i think it was 5-8 pounds or so and could have been a walleye from what other have have suggested.  anyway over the last 3 years my father has not wanted to take up this jigging system, i have out fished the tilts with size most days jigging but he still wanted something more.  well i finally provided that something more yesterday. he sent me a long message after he left about 1400 and i went to his house afterwards to give him the list which he has already bought many things.  he is completely invested in this system because he saw how dominate it was on these larger fish.  he knew i was on a good day from running back and forth with the larger fish for a picture on the tripod and about 1100 hours i texted him to say i have already had my best day.  he watched me through some binoculars catch a couple toads before walking over; he has some terrible knees he needs replaced but keeps putting off the surgery.  the first hole we meet at, as i dropped the jig down to 24 fow a fish came aggressively off the bottom and crushed it about 20 feet.  it was a 16" bass and i assured him this was not common.  i released it and dropped back down and pulled a second 15" or so bass from same hole. i tried to give him the same crash course on the finder i have previously but this time he was more invested in listening and following.  the majority of the fish came from 18-24 fow but there was a period where many bigger bass came in about 14 fow with about 6-8 foot of weeds.  i would drop the jig down to the bottom and turned the gains on the transducer to about 50% so that the screen was not solid feedback from the weeds.  i could not see my jig but any upwards trends i saw on the graph would cause me to shift my eyes to the spring bobber.

something else is over the last 3 years i invested more time than many to locate the better spots on the bodies of water i preferred to fish.  this small investment is worth it as these spots fish much better than most others on the lakes, year after years and most seasons as well; as you may recall i fish the same system year round.  you need to move around a lot and catch fish otherwise serendipity will determine these spots and i am not friends with her but i did leave my toothbrush at her moms house.  even if you are not catching the fish, just seeing and interacting with them should warm your bodies on even the coldest of new england days.  it is okay, to just go pass time outdoors and fish but if you want to become efficient, you need to invest time and get quality feedback.

i will moving north to lake ontario region by the end of the week and am shaking with excitement with this last evolution to the system.  i am going to fish till i cannot stand monday-thursday to sort out some spots on the st lawrence river.  i am thankful for what these compromised connectciut waters were able to teach me so long as i asked the right questions.  these waters can teach you the same but you need to ask questions and you need to get feedback; that finder i have talked about before is the best 120 dollars you can spend if your goal is to become a better vertical jig fisherman (you are throwing away important feedback and wasting money to spend more on just about anything else).  the more feedback and the better the questions the quicker you can bridge years of experience over most these mouth-breathing fisherman; i went from first fish ever jigging to unlocking most of this system in about 3 weeks and less than 10 fishing days; just about all this was because of the fish finder and interacting with these connecticut panfish i overlooked for most of my life.  i knew this system was incredible before but now that i have an answer for the larger fish i am excited for the fishing waters with more routine larger fish.

i will be posting in the appropriate state forum moving forward so i will say good bye to those couple who read and follow my progress.  to those who supported and encouraged me to keep posting, thank you! if is see those bullies getting out of hand again put the bat signal out and i will come down for a visit and mark this territory for the noble guys/girls.

stay safe.
peace and long life!
- jiggingdave
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nice day !
whew...   ;D

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
What a way to finish off your home state fishing! Congrats on the move and good luck!! Tight lines. -Marty

Offline pepperdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
Best of luck in your north - I will miss your.....detailed....p osts over the years.    Stay safe.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Oh man cant wait to see NY'er respond to these posts!  Gonna be epic!

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
Best of luk to you and Ty for your past information sharing!

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
Best of luk to you and Ty for your past information sharing!
you are welcome! be safe!

Best of luck in your north - I will miss your.....detailed....p osts over the years.    Stay safe.
thank you on all counts!
i am happy to have given these panfish a chance, for 30+ years i turned my nose up at them...in the end they embraced me in this journey and prepared me for their larger overlords. 

What a way to finish off your home state fishing! Congrats on the move and good luck!! Tight lines. -Marty

thank you Marty!
truth be told, it went better than expected and based on the little feedback i have about other lakes and ponds on the eastern side of the state, one other place could have produced similar or better results.  i will probably get back home a couple times a year but i will be spoiled up north.  i think jigging 18 pounds top 5 bass is possible in eastern ct and will leave it to my brother and father to eclipse the mark.  slightly larger hook and not having extra hooks to catch the edge of the ice and i would still be riding the wave.  i have lost hours of sleep each night over the last week or so i knew the move was coming.
be safe!

nice day !
whew...   ;D

thank you! be safe!
experience suggests you might be correct, thank you for your support.
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular

Nailed it!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Thank you for reinventing the sport, techniques, letting me know my flasher is a waste of money, CT waterways are compromised (I knew that perch tasted funky) and that I spent my last 30 plus years wasting my time actually fishing when I should have just asked the right questions.

If you didn't think you were going to see a good bye from me, your crazy.

✌ and good luck in NY, Canada and beyond!
Just add water.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you for reinventing the sport, techniques, letting me know my flasher is a waste of money, CT waterways are compromised (I knew that perch tasted funky) and that I spent my last 30 plus years wasting my time actually fishing when I should have just asked the right questions.

If you didn't think you were going to see a good bye from me, your crazy.

✌ and good luck in NY, Canada and beyond!

Last months NY debut wasn’t well received. Canada may be more receptive, or Siberia is an option and the USD/RUB exchange rate is currently quite favorable…

Offline hooper22

• IceShanty Rookie
You SOB's just couldn't leave him alone. What a weak person you are. He hasn't been on in weeks. You guys won I hope your proud if yourselves.

You bullied him right out Here! Bet you felt real good inside after that post. Real good role model for children of which alot read this site and were probably fans of logics posts. As he tells of his adventures with great pictures. But somehow your so insecure in your own life that you need to put some random kid down on the internet.

Hope you Sleep good tonight tough guys.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
 ::)

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dressing, dressing, dressing.....I hope you realize that people have tipped their jigs with just about anything you can think of. Larva, invertebrates,  minnow, worms, foil, bugs, plastics, bacon fat, chicken skin.....you always brag on your intelligence so you should obviously know that there is NO SUCH THING as a magic bait. Glad it works for you but sorry,  you didn't "crack the code" of fishing. 
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.