Author Topic: Snowmobile ?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline rubberduckie

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowmobile ?
« on: Jan 30, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Looking to purchase used snowmobile for ice fishing. I want to purchase a two up.   I do not know anything about them other than I want one with a reverse for backing out of enclosed trailer.  Long trac, short trac, electric start pull start, water cooled air cooled.  Would like to stay under $ 4000.00.  Is there a used make model year to look for?  Is there a model and year to stay away from?  Any help would be appreciated.   

Thanks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Snowmobile ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:45 PM »
Honestly, not the best time to buy a sled. Peak season, your best deals are in the spring. Check with some local dealers might luck out with some trade ins on new snow checks. I’ve gotten a few good deals like that because they don’t want to sit on them all summer.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2022, 04:46 PM »
These days, the big three are pretty much the same. If I were looking for a used 2 up sled I'd consider a bearcat, skandic, or tundra. I'm unsure what Polaris brings to the table.

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:21 PM »
$4000 is a good budget
Polaris sand skidoo make nice working sleds
I run a 96 Polaris classic 500
Two up. Picked it up for $1200 in really good shape...

Offline Fishjunkie10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:44 PM »
Personally for me I like running a fan cooled  sled. I don't have to worried about a lack of snow or really cold temps to keep the engine cool.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2022, 09:14 PM »
I would think that if you are looking for a 2 up touring sled, $4000 is generous. I have had good luck with Yamaha or Ski-Doo- the fan cooled sleds are the best ones to buy used. Less to go wrong. More important than the brand or model is the gu¥ you buy from- or rather the maintenance he gave the sled. They all need it, and neglect catches up with you. A used one from the right guy is better than new in my opinion. My best sled now is a 2007 Ski-Doo GTX 550F. Light, simple, comfortable. I take the second seat off and have room for a huge fishing box.

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:51 AM »
Not the first time I have heard someone say they prefer fan cooled sleds.... Just can't wrap my head around why they could be better in warm temps....
Could someone splain how warm air cools an engine and why liquid cooling doesn't....
Totally baffled

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Liquid cooled sleds have a heat exchanger. If there’s no snow getting on the heat exchanger it’s not going to cool.
Pretty simple.
I prefer an air cooled sled for ice
Fishing also. They’re also lighter and simpler.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Fan cooled. I second that

Offline Fishjunkie10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:34 AM »
Not the first time I have heard someone say they prefer fan cooled sleds.... Just can't wrap my head around why they could be better in warm temps....
Could someone splain how warm air cools an engine and why liquid cooling doesn't....
Totally baffled".

Just like most other small engines the fan blows cooler air on to the engines fins that displace heat away from the cylinders and cylinder heads

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:39 AM »
Look at a motorcycle. Even ones that get worked hard, like a dirt bike.....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Motorcycles that are air cooled are also oil cooled too tho reb..not that i give a hoot.lol i like my  2 stroke dirtbikes water cooled and my snowmobiles fan cooled.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:43 AM »
 Well, sleds have oil in 'em, Doc.... at least mine did. ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:48 AM »
Well, sleds have oil in 'em, Doc.... at least mine did. ::)
yeah 2 strokes have a bit to lube crank and such thru oil injection or premix but the 4strokes will have a oil cooler on them.in your young days probably racing around on ol evinrudes,rupp and johnson sleds?my favorite vintage sled was the scorpion 440 whip.thing was fast..

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:56 AM »
With a $4000 budget, consider a Snow dog. Lighter, can tow more them most sleds, take up less room and very easy to work on.
You would money left to have a hitch and cargo carrier installed on your vehicle if you don't already.

I built mine for $800 from a free donor sled and can't imagine not having one again. Besides fishing I've been using it to bring firewood to the house for the wood stove.

They may not be as fast as a full sled but it sure beats walking. :tipup:
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:58 AM »
In a water cooled snowmobile, in general, the radiator is built into the tunnel, and relies on snow hitting the heat exchanger to cool it. That can sure transfer a lot of heat if you are in snow, but if you are on glare ice, not so much. Fan cooled does not rely on snow getting kicked up by the track, so they have cooling no matter what. I did see the 2022 Skandic had an additional water to air radiator up front to address this issue.
Water cooled is better for peak cooling, but you will be taking it easy compared to what these sleds are capable of.
You also need to be careful if you stud the track that you do not allow studs to get up into the radiator and damage the radiator. People add a tunnel protector for that, but I can't see how that helps the cooling any.

Offline Coosangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2022, 09:33 PM »
Understood!
 thanks for the education guys
I missed the permanent registration cutoff by two years also, so I may make a change next summer

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2022, 05:56 AM »
I run a fan cooled model in large part to the amount of travel I encounter on bare ice - no motor overheating issues as previously mentioned. I still added ice scratchers to the sled to help with keeping the track slides from melting and carbide ski skegs are a must on a hard ice surface, especially if the track is studded.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2022, 07:34 AM »
Also make sure you stud the track.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.