Author Topic: Erie ice  (Read 9203 times)

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
Erie ice
« on: Jan 11, 2022, 05:03 PM »
The islands are starting to get locked in..Lookin at the forecast, I might be fishin in a few days...Lets hope..

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Erie ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Headed up to the island tomorrow morning.There starting to go out..Ice is 4-5 and stained..I will post when I get back..See ya on the ice....greg

Offline muggs1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Thanks for the update. We opted for a trip to Sturgeon Bay this year, but I still may try to get out on Erie as a DIY trip.

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Hey Greg. Thanks for the update. Did you change your handle? Looking forward to hearing how you did and the ice conditions. Thanks again for your posts.

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2022, 03:29 PM »
Yea,I made a few changes ,but still fishin...So I got back this am. I fished sun eve and got1 keeper 5 or so.Mon was high wind so I waited till eve to walk out and get set up..No keepers mon.Tues walked out fishin was better and ended up with 3..I walked straight out from the ramp 500yrds or so..the water is still milkey but I think will clear up in a few days...Tues some guys were ridin out but im just not that brave..There was only 5" of ice..Goin back up next week and should be a good 8 or so by then..I way to old for that walkin crap...#5 rap in clown was the ticket for me...Later   greg

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:56 AM »
I forgot to mention the ice is  the best ive seen in a few years..And with no snow on top it should make fast...

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:51 AM »
Thanks for the update. I am trying to get over to my place on Kelleys. We are always at least a few weeks behind PIB. Might have to go back to South Bass where we used to go before I got the place on KI! Thanks again.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2022, 04:20 PM »
Any eyes on Catawba?
Might do a scouting mission tomorrow but heard rumors of the wind tearing up what ice was there. 3-4 hour round trip so any info would be a fuel saver

Offline muggs1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:44 PM »
Greg are you walking off from S. Bass?

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:28 PM »
Hey Mike. Good to see you back here... hopefully we get a season this year finally.
Ive been looking at the CIC webcam and I haven't seen anyone out.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:18 PM »
Hey Mike. Good to see you back here... hopefully we get a season this year finally.
Ive been looking at the CIC webcam and I haven't seen anyone out.

Thanks buddy!
It has been awhile. Been chomping at the bit to get out there again. Hoping it stays accessible if it does happen. Might drive up tomorrow and have a look.  I haven’t seen anything on the cams either and the silence is killing me hahaha

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:01 AM »
Muggs,yea off the west side ramp...Then a short walk if ya don"t have wheel"s...The walk is fine,It"s gettin back up the ramp i hate...With this weather i won"t have to worry about it...

Offline muggs1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:16 PM »
Nice, I've gone out off that ramp many times. We have a trip planned for Sturgeon Bay at the end of February, but I'm hoping I can find the time to get out on Erie at least once. Good luck out there!

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:54 AM »
Headed back up this AM..Will post on fri when i get back..Im told guy's are going almost all the way to rattle..Should be a great week...see ya  greg

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:21 PM »
Good luck Greg. Be safe. I think I am going to wait one more week before I try at Kelley's. Also Mike, I see walkers on the Catawba CIC webcam today for the first time <a href ="https://www.shoresandislands.com/webcams/">here</a>.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Good luck Greg. Be safe. I think I am going to wait one more week before I try at Kelley's. Also Mike, I see walkers on the Catawba CIC webcam today for the first time <a href ="https://www.shoresandislands.com/webcams/">here</a>.
I saw that. I’m going up in the morning to poke around.

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Just got back from the bay. Fished wed-thurs bite was good and no problem gettin the fish..My largest was 8-10lb..The water is startin to clear nicely..The ice is close to 10" I had no problem gettin around..I fished about half way to rattle and never had to move..By the way i let that pig go after i took a pic...Till next week....greg

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Good job releasing big hen , hopefully u can post the pictures, are machines out yet

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:03 PM »
Lots of quad's and sno-go's..

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2022, 12:57 PM »
I see there is crowed of people, and machines and snowmobiles , hopefully someone will post some pictures lol, be safe guys

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Made it almost 2 miles on foot, NW out of Catawba, there were a few machines that pushed out even further, couple sleds may have even gone all the way to islands, but not sure. Caught about 2 dozen walleye only 2 keepers, rest were between 8"-14.5" thinnest ice we measured was 4.5-5

Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:06 AM »
Good job , nice pictures no hogs yet , hopefully today is better day for u , I seen about eight machines headed out already getting gear ready , stay safe and good luck out there

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:48 AM »
Been flyin to the island for 2 weeks now and have seen open holes every time..If your goin out from  the mainland go west not north..Its not worth it..At least not to me...

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:05 AM »
Ty

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:16 AM »

pig i let go last week

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2022, 03:39 PM »
What a Beaut! she's about to pop!
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2022, 05:44 PM »
Headed back up sun am to fish mon-wed..I hear things are ok after the storm...Ill give a report on thurs...see ya   greg

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2022, 06:26 PM »
I just got back..sun eve i saw the guys on the wrong side of the crack out from the state park..coast guard was there..flying back today saw lots of open cracks..I would not fish that area right now...The islands are locked in good..I had 12-13" everywhere i went...The water is starting to clear...Very little snow on top..The fish are still snappin..Many huts from green to rattle...Till next week   greg

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2022, 04:16 AM »
Thanks for the report greg , be safe tight lines

Offline wood man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2022, 08:18 AM »
Thanks chuck,same to u...greg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor