Author Topic: Favorite Ice Suit Feature - Or Feature Request  (Read 5845 times)

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite Ice Suit Feature - Or Feature Request
« on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:52 PM »
We are always looking to improve our products and are hoping to get the Ice Shanty Community's Help. We are working on our ice suits for next year and would love to hear your favorite features of the suit you currently own AND if there are features you wish your suit had.

We will of course keep the floatation and adjustable inseams and leg zips.

As a thank you for contributing we will also randomly select 5 people who participate to get a free WindRider winter hat (must live in the US - sorry our Northern Friends, but shipping/customs gets complicated =( )

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Favorite Ice Suit Feature - Or Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:06 PM »
An inside DRY pocket for cell phone is awesome. Be great if had built in tether of some sorts.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:09 PM »
An inside DRY pocket for cell phone is awesome. Be great if had built in tether of some sorts.

Do you mean like a waterproof pocket, so if you fall through the phone stays dry?

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Do you mean like a waterproof pocket, so if you fall through the phone stays dry?

Yes sir. and it keeps it warm for better life.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:14 PM »
Thanks. I like that idea! We just have a standard zippered pocket for now, but making it waterproof is a great idea since if you go through, you will definitely want to be able to make an emergency phone call.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Two over sized zippered pockets chest high on the bibs ..meaaning big enough to fit a smart phone in/out easily ...also an inside D-ring to allow for a teather/lanyard. Not so much a suit feature but a hoodie feature a chest high kangaroo pass through pocket with an added zippered front pocket for hand warmer and/or cellphone.So to act as a muff.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Fleece-lined handwarmer "slash" pockets, never understood why every winter coat does not come with them... Also a strap on the hood to adjust fronts height.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Light weight but warm  ;D love my current suit from one of the other brands but it is heavy

Offline Sufishticated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:28 PM »
I would like larger zippers (maybe just on the pockets) so I can grab with the glove on.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:33 PM »
A pocket for a bait puck inside the very top of the bibs, keep maggots lively and right at hand. That's where I always keep mind but just about every time I stand up it winds up down in one of the legs.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:35 PM »
My problem is I have too many pockets...can't never find what I'm looking for.  ;D

Honestly, I own a Frabill that I'm not completely happy with. I love the bibs but not so much the jacket. One...I ordered it too large thinking of the added room needed for base layers. Figured wrong. My fault. But it isn't a float suit either. So, I'm going to use it through this season, but next year I'm seriously considering one of yours. I like your price. So as far as that goes, the only pocket I'd be concerned with is the one I pull my wallet out of.  ;D  Plus I like the fact that you're from Michigan. And I think it's great that you're reaching out, asking for improvements. Speaks volumes.

But like I said, I'm good for this year but I WILL see you next fall.

Ok...I will add something. I am not a fan of too many pockets, as I first mentioned . I'd be good with 2 large on the bibs and 4 large on the jacket (2 on the breast...2 on the bottom). And I would prefer Velcro or snaps over zippers. One inside jacket pocket (zipper ok on this one). Too needy?  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Im totally not a fan of separate bibs and jacket.i cant stand the suspenders falling off my shoulders on my strikers suits along with wind blowing up my back.a company needs to make a floating/waterproof/windproof one piece suit like the old winchester suits or walls/carhartts.i wear my one piece winchester suit out in the boat winter steelhead fishing and its warm greatness.jmo

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Two over sized zippered pockets chest high on the bibs ..meaaning big enough to fit a smart phone in/out easily ...also an inside D-ring to allow for a teather/lanyard. Not so much a suit feature but a hoodie feature a chest high kangaroo pass through pocket with an added zippered front pocket for hand warmer and/or cellphone.So to act as a muff.

That is easy enough. I am assuming the D ring inside means inside the pocket, not on the inside of the bibs.

We are working on the Hoodie, just couldn't get it done for this year.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:52 PM »
I like the idea of the waterproof pocket. I have an ice armor suit now and they include a small waterproof bag that can hold a phone with a clip but it's kind of a hassle to use and I wonder how long it would last since it's basically a zip lock bag (though a very thick, heavy duty version). Maybe a waterproof zipper on an interior pocket that is lined with waterproof material?

My suit has a built in retractable laynard, I use it a lot with my cold snap toothpick, my bibs also have it built it, but I mostly use the one on the jacket.

I like the big zippers my jacket has, but my jacket has a double zipper, and I think that is not necessary at all and makes the jacket sometimes hard to get the zipper started to zip up.

Would be nice to have a clip or something on an inside pocket for keys. Always forget which pocket I put my keys into and want to keep them warm since those fobs all have batteries.

My suit now has elastic pulls on the waist of the jacket, I like that, my old Eskimo suit did not. Those might be nice on the bibs too. My bibs now have belt loops, but I'm not going to wear a belt with them. Same goes for the cuffs at the wrist, I like those on the suit I have now.

Didn't like the leg gaiters on the suit I have now, hard to use, got in the way, and looked like a point of failure. I cut them out, would be nice if those are removable since I'd imagine someone out there must like/use them.

Magnetic closure on the leg and jacket flaps over the zippers are nice, another thing I have now that I didn't on my last suit.

Really wish I had better shoulder straps, with clips/latches like the new strikers have.

Hand towels, either something that clips on or snaps on like the strikers, or some way to quickly wipe hands dry.

I have removable liners in my suit now. Sometimes I wish I could zip out those liners and put in a lighter, less insulated liner. It's like, the liner is too much, but without the liner is not enough. I know I can adjust my base layers, mostly talking about the bibs here, my bib liners are really warm, and I walk a lot, so find myself venting them even when it's fairly cold out.

Guessing the Wind Rider suits already have front hand warming pockets, every suit I've had seems like they'd be better with more insulation there, as in more like a muff for warming hands. If I'm catching a lot of fish, I give up on trying to take my gloves off and put them on over and over and just deal with cold hands.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:53 PM »
Fleece-lined handwarmer "slash" pockets, never understood why every winter coat does not come with them... Also a strap on the hood to adjust fronts height.

Our jacket and bibs both have the hand warmer pockets, I agree they are must have.

I will check on the hood strap. Our rain gear has that, but I am wondering if because of the insulation inside the hood will causes issues for it on our ice gear.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:55 PM »
Light weight but warm  ;D love my current suit from one of the other brands but it is heavy

That is a tough one. Less weight usually means either a less robust face fabric (less durability), less insulation (less warmth) no foam (no floatation), fewer zippers (either fewer pockets or harder to get in and out of). We will see though.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I would like larger zippers (maybe just on the pockets) so I can grab with the glove on.

What about just larger zipper pullers?

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:58 PM »
That is easy enough. I am assuming the D ring inside means inside the pocket, not on the inside of the bibs.

We are working on the Hoodie, just couldn't get it done for this year.

Yes to hook a lanyard for safe keeping of the phone,
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:59 PM »
A pocket for a bait puck inside the very top of the bibs, keep maggots lively and right at hand. That's where I always keep mind but just about every time I stand up it winds up down in one of the legs.

Maggots in your pants, only in ice fishing is that a normal conversation  :clap:

Thanks for the idea!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:01 PM »
One thing I've always wanted was an inflatable life vest inside the coat so it wouldn't be so bulky just a recharge kit. I wear my inflatable at first and last ice. I do have a flotation suit and end up wearing the inflatable, more comfortable. The dry pockets inside with easy to use zippers are great ideas. Another idea like the gentleman said the straps falling off would be a buckle mid chest, like on a back pack to keep the bibs straps in place.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:04 PM »
I have a pair of work pants (can't remember the brand) that have a loop of fabric sewn into the front pockets with a carabiner attached, hook your keys on the carabiner then stuff them in the pocket... If your keys fall out of the pocket they're still attached to you...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:07 PM »
My problem is I have too many pockets...can't never find what I'm looking for.  ;D

Honestly, I own a Frabill that I'm not completely happy with. I love the bibs but not so much the jacket. One...I ordered it too large thinking of the added room needed for base layers. Figured wrong. My fault. But it isn't a float suit either. So, I'm going to use it through this season, but next year I'm seriously considering one of yours. I like your price. So as far as that goes, the only pocket I'd be concerned with is the one I pull my wallet out of.  ;D  Plus I like the fact that you're from Michigan. And I think it's great that you're reaching out, asking for improvements. Speaks volumes.

But like I said, I'm good for this year but I WILL see you next fall.

Ok...I will add something. I am not a fan of too many pockets, as I first mentioned . I'd be good with 2 large on the bibs and 4 large on the jacket (2 on the breast...2 on the bottom). And I would prefer Velcro or snaps over zippers. One inside jacket pocket (zipper ok on this one). Too needy?  ;)

Enjoy your season and hopefully we can outfit you next year!

We have about that many pockets, so that is good. We have a few more zippered pockets, but also some that snap or velcro.

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:08 PM »
Im totally not a fan of separate bibs and jacket.i cant stand the suspenders falling off my shoulders on my strikers suits along with wind blowing up my back.a company needs to make a floating/waterproof/windproof one piece suit like the old winchester suits or walls/carhartts.i wear my one piece winchester suit out in the boat winter steelhead fishing and its warm greatness.jmo

That would be interesting, it would have a lot more crossover with Snowmobilers as well.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:21 PM »
And a nice, strong, big loop on the back of jacket/pants to hang them up with when you take it off, wherever you are !   ;D I'd also like a tuck-away-in-collar plain nylon hood (no insulation)  with a drawstring thru it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:24 PM »
i have a striker suit and the features i like are all the pockets and it floats. G

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:30 PM »
And a nice, strong, big loop on the back of jacket/pants to hang them up with when you take it off, wherever you are !   ;D I'd also like a tuck-away-in-collar plain nylon hood (no insulation)  with a drawstring thru it.

Good idea Reb!  :thumbsup:

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:36 PM »
Would be nice to have a clip or something on an inside pocket for keys. Always forget which pocket I put my keys into and want to keep them warm since those fobs all have batteries.

I would like to second this! I always find myself zipping my keys and wallet into a pocket on my jacket and then leaving the jacket in the sled of my flip over because I'm worried that my keys or wallet will fall out.

A 6"x6" thin piece of fabric sewn at the top of the bibs on the inside with a Velcro/magnetic closure would keep the bait puck in the right spot and help keep the bait warm/alive.

I haven't looking at your current offering yet, but bibs that zipper all the way up to your hip/waist would help with getting the bibs on/off without taking off your boots.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:46 PM »
Soft flexible knee pads. Zippered fleece liner.

Offline CC U

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2021, 04:03 PM »
Panels that stretch, like in the crotch, and insets for shoulders.  Buying a size up for range of motion, creates a draft point at the waist.  I have a fairly large chest, but a small waist, and most XXL sized coats, have a 44 or larger waist opening.  Mine is a 36, and cinching to cut drafts never really works.  Perhaps a more athletic cut, if stretch panels are cost prohibitive.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Boy WindRider...did you open up a can of worms!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.