The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice auger Form  (Read 8016 times)

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice auger Form
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2017, 11:26 AM »
this is only my 2nd season, but i have a nils and an eskimo 40 propane.  the nils is awesome, but mine became dull before the end of the season.  and ive found it difficult to find any place to sharpen it unless you send the head off in the mail.  but when its sharp its awesome.  my eskimo has been awesome too.  it starts by 2nd pull always, even when its -10 out.  keep the propane tanks inside vehicle while traveling to keep from getting to cold in extreme temps. 

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Waterlike.... how do you like the blades on the Eskimo ?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2017, 12:50 PM »
it works very well. so far i havent had to sharpen them, but replacement blades for eskimo are much cheaper than buying a replacement head for the nils (which ive done anyway).  but for the most part i can zip through a lot of ice fast with the eskimo

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Nils/ Tanaka is the fastest lightest auger I ever used and the only.thing I fixed was a fuel line since  I owned it.The engine starts 4 pulls or less and it I just screams though the ice. The only knock on this drill  is that it leaves to much slush  in the hole.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2017, 03:27 PM »
I had a jiffy 30  from 1980 to 2009 and give it to my son, still running.  I got a strike master with the lazer type blades.  It drilled very well but when it got dull no one wanted to sharpen the blades except srike master for to much money. So I sold he auger and replaced it with a 10 inch chipper blade that I sharpen myself easily.  I will never own anything but a chipper blade on anything again.  There is nothing wrong with the other types of blades I just like not being dependent on the factory for sharp blades.
olefish

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:13 AM »
My Strikemadter/Honda is 4 years old now. Still starts on the second pull, is quiet, sips gas and weighs a whopping 23 lbs. It doesn't leak gas or oil at all. I carry gas for my generator so that isn't a problem. I keep reading a about my auger being out dated and should spend $500 for an electric auger because they are lighter. I'm pushing 75 and when I become too weak to use this auger I'll quit ice fishing.   ;) ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sandalsnsocks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Been using hand augers for a looong time, finally broke down and got the Eskimo mako 43cc 8” this thing is awesome! Starts right up and rips through ice! Total joy
Easy does it.
Let them go so they can grow.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:42 AM »
this is only my 2nd season, but i have a nils and an eskimo 40 propane.  the nils is awesome, but mine became dull before the end of the season.  and ive found it difficult to find any place to sharpen it unless you send the head off in the mail.  but when its sharp its awesome.  my eskimo has been awesome too.  it starts by 2nd pull always, even when its -10 out.  keep the propane tanks inside vehicle while traveling to keep from getting to cold in extreme temps.

I have a nils 4.5" hand auger for about twenty years and finally last year had to get it sharpened....guy here on iceshanty does excellent job for$20

Offline tkll17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:10 AM »
I haven't seen much love for the k-drill yet on this thread so I thought I would chime in. I have a 6" k-drill and milwaukee cordless drill, originally started using this combo to avoid smoking out a family members awesome fish house with 2-stroke exhaust.  Been using it since then and I have to say I love it. I usually bring two 5 amp batteries and can drill more holes than I ever need.  Side note- if you have a good cordless drill this is an awesome setup but it is dependent on your drill. I tried it on one of my friends drills (can't remember the model unfortunately) and we burned through 2 batteries and barely got 6 holes drilled.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:35 AM »
I haven't seen much love for the k-drill yet on this thread so I thought I would chime in. I have a 6" k-drill and milwaukee cordless drill, originally started using this combo to avoid smoking out a family members awesome fish house with 2-stroke exhaust.  Been using it since then and I have to say I love it. I usually bring two 5 amp batteries and can drill more holes than I ever need.  Side note- if you have a good cordless drill this is an awesome setup but it is dependent on your drill. I tried it on one of my friends drills (can't remember the model unfortunately) and we burned through 2 batteries and barely got 6 holes drilled.

I also run a K-Drill with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless drill in addition to a Strikemaster 4 stroke. Love'em both. I use the K-Drill quite a bit and it's great for opening old holes and can easily be used to cut bigger overlapping holes when needed. Lifetime sharpening is a plus as well.  :tipup:

Offline 307ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:21 PM »
As they get the new battery tech gets figured out in the next few years I will be changing over to an electric auger. No more smelly gas, hard starting, bad rotater cuff surgery!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:57 PM »
   PM me if you need auger tune up or blade sharpening. :tipup: ;D

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I have an eskimo stingray 8" cutting head. I have been running it for abut 7-ish years. It has been a great auger! I had to replace the gas tank due to the leak only around $10 or so, took 20 mins to take off the old and replace it with the new one. Starts in a couple of pulls almost every time. I started running ethanol free gas in it a few years ago to avoid any gas issues in the carb. The eskimo has been a great auger, I have no complaints!! I would buy another eskimo in a heart beat. I need to go with someone that has a propane auger, never ran one myself. I sure like the electric ION'S I have seen, they are quiet and cut fantastic. Until my craps the bed I will stick with it!!

Offline randingo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Jiffy pro  4. Ten inch.   Runs great replaced some parts also own a jiffy 44 pro.  Used all last season runs like a champ. Only complant is that customer service sucks.  They seem not to care about their customers.  Asked about a regulator and was told the wrong price.  Then called them out on it and they backtracked.  Found the regulator on line for $14. They want to charge $72 yeah guess they need payed like Congress. 

Offline mee2gofishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:44 AM »
I have a nils 4.5" hand auger that I really like.  It replaced an 8 inch fin-bore that I had used for over 10 years,  The fin-bore has been relegated to the back of the garage and now only gets brought out if I am setting tip ups for large toothy critters.  At the end of last winter I purchased an Ion 6" on sale as a new model had now come out.   Even on sale it was way more money than I ever thought I'd spend on an auger, but I have not a single regret. It works great and I am considering a supplement purchase of the 8" or a 10" bit as a second option when targeting lakers and pike. I don't think either is a necessity, but I am on the lookout for a good deal.  I wonder if the 8" even makes sense and am tempted to go for the 10" option.  I would like to know if folks generally prefer the larger hole and whether they see any noticeable issues with the electric battery providing sufficient power for the larger hole. With the smaller hole I have no problems with 12-14 inches of ice and drilling 30-40 holes. I have never drilled more than that in a single outing.  Does anyone have any experience with the original Ion, not the Ion X, and a 10" bit?

Offline tkll17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:52 PM »
I also run a K-Drill with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless drill in addition to a Strikemaster 4 stroke. Love'em both. I use the K-Drill quite a bit and it's great for opening old holes and can easily be used to cut bigger overlapping holes when needed. Lifetime sharpening is a plus as well.  :tipup:

Agreed Milwaukee M18 works great with the k drill especially the 5 amp batteries. The other day I drilled 20+ holes while hole hopping and only used 1/2 o my first battery... Plus when your done drilling holes and want to setup your shanty you can use your cordless drill to run ice anchors into the ice...Many other benefits as well. Bottom line is I will never go back to a 2 stroke.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:34 AM »
Had a debate with myself over augers at the beginning of this season. Friends I fish with all use the cordless/auger combo, once seeing it in action was totally impressed. The speed at which they can drill holes and how light the system is makes total sense in one way. However the tool guy in me still thinks a battery will eventually fail way before a power auger that is properly maintained. Granted a backup battery can be on hand and we end up splitting hairs on whats the best system. So I went with the Eskimo P1 Propane 10" being I had a Jiffy Pro 4 Extreme 8" in the past and liked the concept of propane. Could have gone back to that same Jiffy but wanted to try the new design of the Eskimo P1 model.

Though cordless systems are lighter and drill much faster most don't use their tools for professional use, I do and prefer dedicated tools for any job. After replacing all Dewalt tools with new Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless tools and 9ah batteries for work and though the cordless drills work for ice augers, in reality they were not designed for this setup. We've seen some failures not typical to the drills normal everyday use. Granted some of it could be user error. Still that kept me from going the cordless route over all. It was also a shock that the k-drill itself costs as much as it does. If buying an additional dedicated cordless for the auger, the total cost is about the same or more as a power auger depending on the cordless setup. Even for those that pulled the ole standby cordless off the shelf claiming dual purpose, the drill had to be purchased at some point for comparison.

Currently my problem with the P1 is not not so much the weight at 33lbs., its pulling on it to start it with a f'd up neck and shoulder. After drilling holes and fishing for a while it makes for a long day on the ice. The good thing is it starts most every time in two pulls, with some compensating body mechanics, and runs great. Would not think of abandoning power augers if it were not for injuries. I have reoccurring thoughts on going cordless after every outing. As a non fan of small holes going cordless would have to be beefy. Possibly next year looking into a Milwaukee Mud Mixer coupled with an auger bit that has blades I can sharpen or are inexpensively replaced annually. Will depend on my condition.

As far as batteries, I have to say the Milwaukee Lith-Ion 9ah batteries are nothing but impressive on a professional level. If you use the smaller Milwaukee batteries and think they work fine or are good enough, do yourself a favor, invest in one or two of these babies and you will not go back! This year after trying and returning three complete different sets of cordless work tools, (Dewalt, Rigid, Porter Cable), I had to go with Milwaukee due to the 9ah batteries alone. Some may argue expense but hey, we're already talking about cordless systems for ice augers that cost about as much as a power auger. Also for those that don't know, the Dewalt FlexVolt 60v batteries work in all Dewalt 20v "MAX" tools. When using the 60v 5ah in a 20v Max drill you get 9ah performance. That's a plus for Dewalt users.

Auger setups have been debated many times and still ongoing in main body threads. Either way use what works for you, we all have different ideas and needs. Bottom line, you don't have to follow trends or switch form what you are currently using if it works. Auger envy will continue. The goal is to poke holes and fish, whether it be by spud, hand, gas, or propane powered means. LOL If our augers are to heavy, maybe we need to get a bit more in shape...  :whistle:

Cheers!  :icefish:   

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:41 PM »
Well I started this thread and after a couple outings this year and last, I've had more time to give you the k-drill opinion. Well Love it. Love it. Now I have 5 batteries that I use. I bought them for personal use and wow I get to use them ice fishing as well. So this is my assessment. 3amp get ruffly 10-20 holes 4amp 20-40 holes, 5amp 50 holes plus. Know cold kills so if it cold, cut or hole count in half, roughly.  Batteries love the weather but cold kills. But this weekend my k-drilled cut aprox 200 holes and still have one battery left. So with weight and convince, I'm sold. But my Jiffy Pro 4 propane stayed up with the k-drill. Group of 5 so lots of holes and lots of sharing. Propane and electric made the day. Ice 14-20 inches if anyone is wondering. Couple almost bottomed out my drill. So I'm a happy individual. Know I'm writing this SO I can stress My OPINON. If you have a group and everyone wants to drill. Stay with propane. Can beat the auger. Jiffy, Eskimo. If everyone has a auger my 5 batteries will last the hole weekend. But if I share??? I had to realize I had to watch how many holes where being drilled. My first 3 batteries are a 3amp and two 4 amp so I got a little worried if they make the hole weekend. SO Propane for a long trip or weekend I'd have to take just to make sure I'd have a hole to fish out of.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I carry a few extra batteries in a small insulated soft-sided lunch cooler along with a chemical heat pack to keep batteries warm. The K-drill has been a great addition to the gear box! :tipup:

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:46 PM »
I'm using an electric Milwaukee with an 8 inch convertible Nils this year. I have used it in 12 outings and it cuts great. It came with 2, 5ah batteries but I found a very good deal on a 9ah battery so I bought that. Had some problems the first time I used it with the auger coming loose. Glad there is a plate welded to the auger or it would have been at the bottom of Viva Naughton! Came loose once on Friday but I don't think I had it tightened properly. Drilled probably 200 holes so far.  Overall, very pleased with the how smooth and fast it cuts, no jarring or hanging up on break through, and lightweight. I only use the side handle and no Clam plate. 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:54 PM »
The K-drill has a foam flotation at the top in case it drops off. Does the Nils have one? You might use a chunk of pool noodle to fabricate one if need be. I don't run a plate though may next season.  :tipup:

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:03 AM »
The Nils auger bit I have comes with a welded plate on it so it can't accidentally drop through the hole.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:37 PM »
   No thanks for the electric drills and all the expensive battery upkeep. I don't think the drills have enough balls in the them to last very long. I will stick to my gasser which is practically bullet proof. I can buy a lot of fuel for the price of one of those drill batteries. ;D

Offline Thickerthin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice auger Forum
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:37 AM »
I absolutely love my Ion electric auger with 8" and 10" bits, light, quiet and smokeless. I have had the drill 4 years, use the heck out of it and have never ran the battery down, I just charge it after each trip. Really handy for inside the shack or tent , also re-drills existing holes like a dream. I had a Jiffy gas and a Jiffy Pro before this one.  Just my 2 cents.
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:23 PM »
   No thanks for the electric drills and all the expensive battery upkeep. I don't think the drills have enough balls in the them to last very long.

Sounds like you don't know drills, or have one?

Having to borrow common tools to use around the house is tacky to say the least... Can I borrow a pointy screwdriver? Lol

If I didn't fish, I'd still have a handful of drill motors for everyday use...

<°)))>{

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Sounds like you don't know drills, or have one?

Having to borrow common tools to use around the house is tacky to say the least... Can I borrow a pointy screwdriver? Lol

If I didn't fish, I'd still have a handful of drill motors for everyday use...

<°)))>{
I have drills that will snap your wrists if you're not careful but they run off of 120 ac so not practical for ice drilling. ;D

Offline curtis k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:30 AM »
how bout a generator and extension cord for those drills. LOL

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:24 PM »
how bout a generator and extension cord for those drills. LOL
You could mount the generator to your smitty sled since you  can't find a power bush.
Thread killer

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:45 AM »
   Been working on a laser beam drill and will keep you posted! ;D

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I had a chance to drill holes for an old gent this last week with his 8 inch Ion and I was surprised at how easy it was in 20 inches of ice. What was the big surprise was when you hit the bottom of the hole and it never stuck or jerked me around like my old strike master.  If  I had $600 extra dollars I would get the 10 inch for sure.
olefish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.