Author Topic: NILS HAND AUGER QUESTION..  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
NILS HAND AUGER QUESTION..
« on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Looking to buy a hand auger...
I've been using my buddies 8 inch Eskimo hand auger and his 10 inch gas auger ( when it works) and the hand auger works great within a foot but anything beyond that I've been reading that Nils is the way to go? Like like it cuts through a couple feet pretty good.

Anyone own one that can verify?

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: NILS HAND AUGER QUESTION..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Yes get the nils!  Best thing I ever did.  Get the blue one with red cutting head.  I bought an adapter and a Milwaukee gen 2 fuel drill for my 8 inch nils hand auger and all I can say is wow.  Unreal!  Cuts through 10 inches of ice in about 5 seconds.  Buy it you won't regret it!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:38 PM »
sure will cut threw like butter we have cut 18 inches like 15 holes a day last year for crappie by hand with a 8 inch nils and did not break a sweet...for around 100 trips out tell you the truth get a spare blade for it if or two if you can... they do get dull and don't cut so back ups are a necessary like if you hit dirty ice or you just cut to many holes or what ever.. but for sure spare are needed at $100 buck each there not cheap but can be found for cheap.. their is another option but I think it works like a standard lazer auger? like slow as can be and that's the fin bore 3 which is good in the 6 inch but the 8 inch I think is tougher to use and cut threw the ice...  fish307.com has the fin bore 3 for $99.99 at that point you should just try to find a nils on clearance...I got mine for $140 for a 8 inch on sale 159.99 with a $20 off 150 so I got it cheap at cabelas.com  and I find it is faster and easier to use after seeing video's of the finbore3 versus the nils versus laser all in one video look around you'll find it.. .       

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Yes get the nils!  Best thing I ever did.  Get the blue one with red cutting head.  I bought an adapter and a Milwaukee gen 2 fuel drill for my 8 inch nils hand auger and all I can say is wow.  Unreal!  Cuts through 10 inches of ice in about 5 seconds.  Buy it you won't regret it!

what size drill is the fuel? I got a 400 inlb Hitachi that don't cut threw the ice with the 8 inch I got the adaptor for the calm plate and the calm plate and got to get a new drill lol's is why I ask? 

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:47 PM »
sure will cut threw like butter we have cut 18 inches like 15 holes a day last year for crappie by hand with a 8 inch nils and did not break a sweet...for around 100 trips out tell you the truth get a spare blade for it if or two if you can... they do get dull and don't cut so back ups are a necessary like if you hit dirty ice or you just cut to many holes or what ever.. but for sure spare are needed at $100 buck each there not cheap but can be found for cheap.. their is another option but I think it works like a standard lazer auger? like slow as can be and that's the fin bore 3 which is good in the 6 inch but the 8 inch I think is tougher to use and cut threw the ice...  fish307.com has the fin bore 3 for $99.99 at that point you should just try to find a nils on clearance...I got mine for $140 for a 8 inch on sale 159.99 with a $20 off 150 so I got it cheap at cabelas.com  and I find it is faster and easier to use after seeing video's of the finbore3 versus the nils versus laser all in one video look around you'll find it.. .     

Wowwww, replacement blades are $100? 😮

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:07 PM »
ya there retail is 100 each blade but I sent some info via pm so try those....

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:17 PM »
ya there price but worth it faster then my 5 inch laser I tell you that much by the way sent you a pm on a place who has them augers  on sale...

Offline jighead66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:36 PM »
if you need an adapter for the Nils auger to a drill there is someone selling them on ebay and I here they work great

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:49 PM »
what size drill is the fuel? I got a 400 inlb Hitachi that don't cut threw the ice with the 8 inch I got the adaptor for the calm plate and the calm plate and got to get a new drill lol's is why I ask?
I just bought replacement head for my 6" 50 bucks

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:43 PM »
My nils has a rod on the back that can attach to a drill.   It hasn't been an issue to go through 3 ft of ice by hand though.  Don't worry about 12"... It'll only take seconds too go through.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:50 PM »
What's the length and weight of a 8 in Nils auger? Any idea?

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:06 PM »
The Nils auger is awesome, I have the 6" and honestly I don't have any reason to get a drill or a power auger. It cuts with little effort and is light and I always walk so that's important to me.

I probably drilled 30 holes with it this past weekend.

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Love my nils 6 inch hand auger. On average, I've timed myself at an inch a  second, and that's drilling at a relaxed speed. It takes almost no effort and literally zero downward pressure. The replacement blades are expensive but if you treat them right, they will last for years and years. Mine is fairly new, but I  met a guy in the lot the other day and I commented on his vintage nils. He said he bought it in 1979 and he was currently on his SECOND blade. Incredible. You can always send them out to a professional certified sharpener but in my opinion, you will be fine for years as long as you treat it well. In my opinion, best augers on the market. It will be the best investment you will make for a long time.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Love my nils 6 inch hand auger. On average, I've timed myself at an inch a  second, and that's drilling at a relaxed speed. It takes almost no effort and literally zero downward pressure. The replacement blades are expensive but if you treat them right, they will last for years and years. Mine is fairly new, but I  met a guy in the lot the other day and I commented on his vintage nils. He said he bought it in 1979 and he was currently on his SECOND blade. Incredible. You can always send them out to a professional certified sharpener but in my opinion, you will be fine for years as long as you treat it well. In my opinion, best augers on the market. It will be the best investment you will make for a long time.

I just bought one on Kitterytradinpost.com for $135. .I can't wait now.. I'm super excited!!

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:41 PM »
The nils I bought because of all the praise here is indeed everything that people say it is. It is a fine product and it works like a dream. I haven't hauled my jiffy out there since the nils arrived.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:54 PM »
visually compare the nils to the strike master you get why not to go for gas ever again..by the time you get it started your threw the ice with the nils and fishing....

Offline Coldfish98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:57 PM »
I just bought one on Kitterytradinpost.com for $135. .I can't wait now.. I'm super excited!!

Sweet! You're gonna love it. Less time drilling, more time fishing, more fun!

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Sweet! You're gonna love it. Less time drilling, more time fishing, more fun!

Maybe it'll bring me some luck😂😂. Thanks man!! Happy fishing!!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:34 AM »
I see the nils that kittery is selling is orange with a black head, and they only sell a 6 inch.

Cabelas has the light blue nils with a red head.  Also, you can get the arctic trekker style or the regular style (hand crank only). 

Any difference with the colors? 

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:44 AM »
From what I have found the orange one does not need an adapter to go with a drill. I purchased a trecker this year and it was the same way if you install a clam drill plate. I still need to weigh it but it seems like it's <10#

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:52 AM »

Its the gen 2 (18) volt 1200 inch pounds of torque.  Thing is an animal.  I paired it with the ice master drill adapter.  Works unbelievable!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Can you give a model number booner?

I'm looking at Milwaukee M18 Fuel Drills right now on amazon.  The 2703-20 is $135, but the hammer drill (2704-20) is only $99.  There are no reviews on the 2703, and the 2704 has terrible reviews, saying the chuck is junk. 

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I just bought replacement head for my 6" 50 bucks

Hey littlehead.  Where did you get the 6" head for $50?  I have been looking for 1 or 2.

Thanks.

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Can you give a model number booner?

I'm looking at Milwaukee M18 Fuel Drills right now on amazon.  The 2703-20 is $135, but the hammer drill (2704-20) is only $99.  There are no reviews on the 2703, and the 2704 has terrible reviews, saying the chuck is junk.

mine is model #2704-22
I have had zero issues with it.  I paid 299.00 for the drill, charger, and (2) 5.0 batteries

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:37 AM »
you can get the nils heads resharpened by Iceshanty member "Franknils" for MUCH cheaper than a new one

Its the only problem with Nils, the 8" nils goes dull at the drop of a hat.

so much so that I got rid of my Nils power head, and only use the 8" as a hand auger for ice less than a foot thick

got a strikemaster lithium 8" for substantial ice

the 4" and 6" nils are WAY WAY more reliable, BTW

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:47 PM »
I see the nils that kittery is selling is orange with a black head, and they only sell a 6 inch.

Cabelas has the light blue nils with a red head.  Also, you can get the arctic trekker style or the regular style (hand crank only). 

Any difference with the colors?

I just bought the light blue one from Kittery last night. They definitely have them

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Its the gen 2 (18) volt 1200 inch pounds of torque.  Thing is an animal.  I paired it with the ice master drill adapter.  Works unbelievable!

thank you! I think I went to light with my drill... at least I think it is the end of the season so will have to wait till next season or mid summer  to get the new drill...

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:53 AM »
thank you! I think I went to light with my drill... at least I think it is the end of the season so will have to wait till next season or mid summer  to get the new drill...

It better not be close the the end of the season bc I just bought a new auger lol. Hopefully 2 more months. Haha

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:57 AM »
Quote from: Tmaida17
What's the length and weight of a 8 in Nils auger? Any idea?
I just grabbed my scale & tape measure & measured my 8" Nils for you. It is 10.25 lbs.  64" overall & 47" with the handle folded.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I JUST LOOKED AT CABELAS WEBSITE ON THERE THEY HAVE REPLACEMENT HEADS FOR NILS $69.99

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.