Author Topic: ATV with Tracks - Freezing Problem  (Read 2260 times)

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
ATV with Tracks - Freezing Problem
« on: Oct 28, 2015, 03:31 PM »
I am fortunate enough to use my bosses ATV with tacks in winter for Ice Fishing. The problem I had last year was some of the lakes we fished on had big pockets of slush. When we drove thru them the snow built up in the tracks got wet and froze. I had to spend an hour at a local car wash pressure washing all the ice off. I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem and what they did to prevent it. I was thinking of spraying  some silicone spray or some kind of de icer on the tracks to prevent this??

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: ATV with Tracks - Freezing Problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I don't know for sure, but the silicone spray I would try.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I run an amphib with tracks. Tried the silicone but didn't help. After a while there's just enough room for the tracks to turn, guess it's just the nature of the beast. I understand you not wanting to bring it back all froze up though.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2015, 05:14 PM »
It pretty much comes with the territory when dealing with slush. Doesn't matter sled or atv. Best bet is letting it sit over night in a climate controlled garage.

Offline TacticalKeychains

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a guy in his garage, trying to make a living.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2015, 05:22 PM »
What about rain-x?  Put it in a weed sprayer. I use the orange rain-x windshield washer fluid and it works well to repel water/ice.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2015, 05:28 PM »
no matter what track vehicle you run slush is tricky.
My snobear tracks ice up pretty bad at times. fortunately the low range can get the track moving and break it free. Any type of silicone or rain-x is just going to rub off with natural friction and be of minimal if any use at all.
just comes with the territory.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Always a deal for ice and slush and snow.  I never really have a problem with it.  Just take off slow and it clears out.  I understand you don't want to return a borrowed machine caked with snow and ice so what you are do is the best, or find a warm place to park it for a few hours.
I can drive mine into my basement when it gets really bad, or when I want to work on it.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2015, 10:19 PM »
The biggest problem was the bogey wheels got froze up and started to develop flat spots on them from the track

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:48 AM »
I've never had that issue.  Guess there can be a difference in the brand.  I've had my Camoplast Tatou 4s sytem for 5 years now.  Like them a lot.  I had to replace a couple boggie wheels with failing bearings this fall while doing a thorough inspection and adjustments.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:21 AM »
those are the same tracks that are on this machine, last year I had to replace 6-7 of those bogey wheel center covers. the ice froze to them and with all the weight pulled them off.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:53 AM »
those are the same tracks that are on this machine, last year I had to replace 6-7 of those bogey wheel center covers. the ice froze to them and with all the weight pulled them off.

How old?  Those caps get "stiff" and don't hold on so well.  I lost one last year - replaced them all when I was doing maintenace this summer.  New ones really hold on.  I'm catching on to so maintence things that can be done to prolong the life of the components.  Annually, I will be removing all the caps when the tracks go into storage after the ice season; let them "rest and recover".
I bought the replacement boggie wheel kit this summer - works out to less than have the cost of individual replacements - I've got parts now, that will last me quite a few years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.