Author Topic: What is Needed to Use a Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 on the Ice?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
I'm considering using my HDS-7 Gen 2 on the ice.  I have a Vexilar FL-20 which I've used for years but want to see if I would like fishing with a chart instead of a flasher, especially for lakers.

I don't need/care about the GPS.  Can I just provide +12V to the unit and use a Lowrance ice transducer with a uniconnector?  Just looking for advice/tips from someone who has used their HDS-7 unit on the ice.

Thanks!

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is Needed to Use a Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 on the Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2015, 02:00 PM »
It will work fine.  It is a bit hard on the batteries.  The backlight is part of the problem, if you go with less bright backlight it will lengthen the run time. I brought along an extra battery.    I was using the HDS 7 a couple of years ago, but have since switched over to a Vexilar FL 28.  I am thinking about installing the HDS 7 on my Skidoo snowmobile for the GPS lake map capability...find those structures I have located in the summer (also find my way home in a blizzard).  PS I have n Lowrance Iceducer that I could part with...
bestfishes - jim

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
Re: What is Needed to Use a Lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 on the Ice?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2015, 09:54 AM »
guthook1

I am interested in relieving you of the iceducer.  Is that all I would need for the HDS-7 setup besides a power cord?  Shoot me a PM with the details of what you need for the iceducer.

I have a Vex FL-20.  I was tempted to flip the FL-20 on eBay and score the FL-28 but the $650 price tag turned me off.  I do like the new color palette.

Jerry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.