Author Topic: Laker Line Set up  (Read 4603 times)

Offline DBHFisher12

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker Line Set up
« on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Looking for some advice for line set up. I fish outside and braid seems to saturate too quickly. Usually like mono with floro leader. Currently using 10 lb berkely iron silk. Doesnt have any memory and is very abrasion resistant; seems to hold up when knicked etc. My question is on the stretch of the line on the hook set. If fishing in 75-40 ft water is this really an issue? Or should I be more concerned with the sharpness/quality of the hook. Thoughts? Thanks for the advice.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Laker Line Set up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I use braid myself.
You are correct about most braids holding water.
You want a braid that is coated such as Tuff-Line Duracast.
I use 30# Duracast with 20# Seaguar flouro leader.
Alternatively you can use a full flouro line as it has a lot less stretch than mono.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I have one rod with fluoro 10# and no problems except spooling off prematurely
the other laker rod has power pro braid and while i dont fish in a hut or tent it freezes badly... brings water all the way to my real freezing on the spool and on the part of the bail that winds it around the spool creating hell when fish are marked and i cant real up.. so today im gonna put 150ft of 10# flour on the end of the braid.. when its not freezing it works fine... but its usually colder than warmer...

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I have one rod with fluoro 10# and no problems except spooling off prematurely
the other laker rod has power pro braid and while i dont fish in a hut or tent it freezes badly... brings water all the way to my real freezing on the spool and on the part of the bail that winds it around the spool creating hell when fish are marked and i cant real up.. so today im gonna put 150ft of 10# flour on the end of the braid.. when its not freezing it works fine... but its usually colder than warmer...

Use a coated braid such as Tuf-Line Duracast.
You won't have the freezing problems then.
All I use is braid for lakers and the Duracast works as well as any mono or flouro @ shedding water.
I use 24# and 30# on most outfits.

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:05 PM »
thanks i will give it a try... just bought bought some 10# flourocast yesterday so im into that for now..... unless i just use it as leader material???? hmmmmm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.