The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: St. Albans Bay/ Surrounding area  (Read 5607 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: St. Albans Bay/ Surrounding area
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Me and my buddy were out on the bay for most of the day today, he caught a couple bass, a small northern, and a few 7-8 inch perch. 6 inches of clear black ice. I couldn't seem to catch a thing. It was a very slow day. I ended up with one fish, jigging and with my max tip ups set. Luckily that one fish made the day!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Is everybody waiting on the white perch??
i am it was really fun  :)
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Me and my buddy were out on the bay for most of the day today, he caught a couple bass, a small northern, and a few 7-8 inch perch. 6 inches of clear black ice. I couldn't seem to catch a thing. It was a very slow day. I ended up with one fish, jigging and with my max tip ups set. Luckily that one fish made the day!
(Image removed from quote.)
Was that the 9 lber someone mentioned?  Nice fish.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:46 AM »
My only Peev from yesterday out fishing with KM87 was the fact that someone thought that it was ok to walk out and use their breaker bar to try and slam out their holes from the day before, one of them being about 15 feet from one of our tip ups. I know there is not written law on this but unless you are fishing with that person  give people a little space, no one except you cares if it was "you're hole from the day before." people go through the work of buying bait and drilling holes setting tip ups ect in an attempt to catch a fish, Its not respectful to do what those guys did yesterday. I have never and would never do that to someone else and it would be nice if others respected that unwritten code!

On another note KM87 forgot to add in addition to the pike, base, and perch i pulled up i also pulled up a little blue gill! I also get the assist on that big girl for going out and putting bait on a hook that was picked clean the first time, as well as getting her nose into the whole something KM87 is all ways nervous about.
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:46 AM »
It sucks that they did that.  St. A bay isn't such a small area that you can't find enough room so as not to encroach on others. Some people just have it in their heads that the fish are only stay in one spot and don't move, so they must fish there.  A good example is my first trip out this year.  My buddy and I were trying to decide where to fish on a small pond.  It turned out that we both did well on tip ups out in the middle and next to shore.  You can only guess.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:36 AM »
"On another note KM87 forgot to add in addition to the pike, base, and perch i pulled up i also pulled up a little blue gill! I also get the assist on that big girl for going out and putting bait on a hook that was picked clean the first time, as well as getting her nose into the whole something KM87 is all ways nervous about."

Heres a peev of mine trying to steel someone elses glory
Nice fish KM87!
[/quote]
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Smelty do you want some cheese to go with the whine? I would agree that those people setting so close was annoying, but if those were in fact their holes from the day before then I have no issue and on a day as windy as yesterday finding shelter on the bay is tough, I don't fault people for fishing in that area, after all the only reason I was set where I was was because the wind was so brutal. If however I had lost that pike due to my line getting tangled with theirs (the tip I caught this on was about 35 foot from where they set up) I would have been peeved, but instead I got to pull a nearly 10lb pike through the hole on 8lb line with 10 people around seeing it.
As a side note, I would like to thank a fellow fisherman who walked 200 yds in the nasty wind yesterday to ask us if we were fishing for pike, and then give us a 8-9 inch golden shiner he had just caught. while that shiner did not catch any fish, it was an awesome gesture and I really appreciated it.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:56 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Keith you catch that on the shiner I handed you? LOL.
I caught a few more and was about to walk them over but you guys started packing up.
I managed a few nice seeds and lots of dink yellows and one throwback largemouth all on spikes.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:07 PM »
No this was caught on a hunt... but I really appreciated the golden, we released it after its 4 hours on the hook to swim another day!! It isn't very often that people are generous like that, and it was nice to meet you! If you don't mind me asking, what do you catch them on do they tend to act like the other fish, hugging the bottom and fish them with small jigs? or do they suspend? I have never caught one, but it would be cool to catch them especially with bait at 10-20 a dozen.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:17 PM »
was catching them in with the dink yellows on a tiny tungsten jig tipped with spikes, nothing special

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Smelty do you want some cheese to go with the whine? I would agree that those people setting so close was annoying, but if those were in fact their holes from the day before then I have no issue and on a day as windy as yesterday finding shelter on the bay is tough, I don't fault people for fishing in that area, after all the only reason I was set where I was was because the wind was so brutal. If however I had lost that pike due to my line getting tangled with theirs (the tip I caught this on was about 35 foot from where they set up) I would have been peeved, but instead I got to pull a nearly 10lb pike through the hole on 8lb line with 10 people around seeing it.
As a side note, I would like to thank a fellow fisherman who walked 200 yds in the nasty wind yesterday to ask us if we were fishing for pike, and then give us a 8-9 inch golden shiner he had just caught. while that shiner did not catch any fish, it was an awesome gesture and I really appreciated it.

Personally, if someone fishes a spot for a day and I end up in the same area, I'd be pretty annoyed if they start fishing right next to me just because they drilled holes there first.  I had probably 500 holes in the Bay last year but I don't feel entitled to fish any one of them at any given point in time just because I drilled there, regardless if someone is sitting. 5' from it. I know that's an extreme example but people need to understand if they drill a hole somewhere and then go back the next day and someone else is fishing next to it, tough luck...they got there first on a new day, gotta move on or ask the guys if it's ok that you fish near them. People who feel entitled to spots on the Lake are the worst. Luckily I've only encountered that very few times during the last few years.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:36 PM »
was catching them in with the dink yellows on a tiny tungsten jig tipped with spikes, nothing special
i get em up at carry fishin 4 seeds and gills i usually fill a bucket with a bit of water bc i usually catch more than one than go give em to the people chasin gators just being nice to fellow fisherman

i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:21 PM »
What depth are you finding them?

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:48 AM »
around 5-7 fow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.