Author Topic: Aquatic Invasive Species  (Read 550 times)

Offline cylegreen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aquatic Invasive Species
« on: Jan 13, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Do ice anglers need to care about lakes known to have an aquatic invasive species infestation?
My gear:

Marcum LX-9
Otter XT Cabin
Frabill Bunker 310
10" Eskimo propane HC40

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
Re: Aquatic Invasive Species
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Do ice anglers need to care about lakes known to have an aquatic invasive species infestation?

you meaning like plants,etc ?
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline cylegreen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:45 PM »

you meaning like plants,etc ?

Yes.  I see signs all over, but not sure if it affects the fishing or anything.  I know the boats need to pay attention and wash off at the landing, but do we (ice anglers) need to care?
My gear:

Marcum LX-9
Otter XT Cabin
Frabill Bunker 310
10" Eskimo propane HC40

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2014, 02:51 PM »
I mean...if you catch an invasive cull it. But unless you plan on swimming I don't think you need to wash yourself off after :p

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Well if you're talking about snakeheads......Then hell yeah! Leave them on the ice in lots of little pieces!
:icefish:

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Every once in awhile I find a zebra mussel on one of my treble hooks.  Always pull them off and leave them on the ice.
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I've heard people say snakeheads are good to eat

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:27 PM »
In the frying pan is good too. So long as they don't end up back in the water. I understand they can live for quite some time out of water and have even traveled some distances over land.
This is from Wkipedia:

Snakeheads can become invasive species and cause ecological damage because they are top-level predators, meaning they have no natural enemies outside of their native environment. Not only can they breathe atmospheric air, but they can also survive on land for up to four days, provided they are wet, and are known to migrate up to 1/4 mile on wet land to other bodies of water by wriggling with their body and fins. National Geographic has referred to snakeheads as "Fishzilla"[5] and the National Geographic Channel reported the "northern snakehead reaches sexual maturity by age two or three. Each spawning-age female can release up to 15,000 eggs at once. Snakeheads can mate as often as five times a year. This means in just two years, a single female can release up to 150,000 eggs."[5]
:icefish:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:28 PM »
What can get transported by icefishing equipment can just as easily get transported on the feathers of a duck or a goose.  :-\
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Live bait problems Up In Canada they worry about Minnow disease and Invasive things  as bait.. 

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:12 PM »
If you take water from a lake and transport it to another you could be spreading zebra mussels or spiny water flea just to name a couple.  Easily avoided by just using tap water from your house and having an insulated bucket with an aerator.

There has been much discussion and some research going on in the last couple years regarding eurasian watermilfoil and how it over winters.  Some lakes the plants will die back while others you can see it green and lush during mid winter.  If you you do happen to bring up aquatic vegetation it is best to just leave it on the ice, never transport it.  In most cases state or federal agencies are more than happy to look at whatever plant you have questions about and can confirm what it is.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:50 AM »
Yes.

I know it seems weird but even transferring water from one place to another can carry invasive species.  Yooper had a good point with the spiny water flea, those things are nasty small zooplankton that don't digest well and have done a lot of damage to midwestern lakes.  Other things can be transferred pretty readily on your boots too the one I think most is Didymo algae (Didymosphenia geminata) maybe crossing a stream or the shoreline if it's exposed water, stuff like that.  It's always a good idea to be as careful with your ice gear as you are with your boat.

It's all within reason of course, I don't think anyone expects you to hot pressure wash your sled every time you leave the ice but if you hook some weeds or something best to put them back down an inactive hole so someone doesn't come by, step on them and trek them to their car, just in case it's something that shouldn't go into another lake.  I think it goes without saying don't transport live fish, but on the ice it's tough minnows can live for days.

I've gotten some brook stickleback in my minnow bucket before fishing the Mississippi, during ice fishing I could see someone keeping those things for two weeks because they don't want to buy more, then going to another state DON'T DO IT!  The other big one with transferring water is diseases like VHS (Viral hemorrhagic septicemia) which can be in water, the other is veligers (young clams) they are microscopic and can go dormant.  This is a big issue out here with asian clams (Corbicula fluminea).

In short, yes try to be as conscious as possible of moving stuff around, but don't be so worried you stop having fun!

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Great question.  Thanks for all the replies.  Definetly stuff to keep in mind.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Invasive species are a BIG problem.  Not just zebra mussels and spiny water fleas but a number of plants as well, first and foremost is the eurasian millfoil, a bane to boaters everywhere and very very easily spread.  Growth rate is phenominal and once its in a water body, its there to stay.  Aren't folks aware of all the issues Lake George has due to invasive species?  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Good grief.   I'm amazed that fishermen here seem (for the most part) oblivious to the problem.  Unbelievable.  I don't mean to tick anyone off, but you owe it to the waters you fish to be more aware.

Offline cylegreen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Good points on the live bait, as well.  I was originally referring to invasive plants, but minnows are just as important....probably THE most important thing ice anglers can do to prevent disease and infestation.  I used to dump my minnows down the hole (sorry, sorry, don't hammer me too bad!  I don't do it anymore!) because I thought I was feeding the fish I was trying to catch!  Someone (much smarter than me) saw me do that and gave me an education.  I don't even dump my minnows on the ice anymore.  I bring them home and throw them away!
My gear:

Marcum LX-9
Otter XT Cabin
Frabill Bunker 310
10" Eskimo propane HC40

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.