Author Topic: How to get them to hit better?.  (Read 1321 times)

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
How to get them to hit better?.
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I'll be honest, I don't know how to ice fish for walleyes. I do, however, catch them in one of my secret spots. This place is loaded with walleyes many are over 24" too. I use my flasher, and see fish come in right off the bottom, I catch walleyes on the bottom and the fish that don't hit it behave the same way as the walleyes I did catch. So I figure they are mostly all walleyes on bottom. They will not hit minnows. The only thing they will hit is a small white teardrop with a green dot, with a couple waxies. I'll catch them yes, but I would like to have these consistiently hit. Does anybody know any other baits or jigs/colors to try? Thanks.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: How to get them to hit better?.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Have you tried other jigs? Like a PK or a Chubby Darter? Have you tried a dead minnow? If they are hitting small, maybe you can try meal worms or better yet if you can get some May Fly Nymphs... I think that they are often called Wigglers... With most fish I find it is about presentation more than anything else, that is how I would start.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Darters maybe a zipper or a ripping rap may wake them up. Jigging raps, larger sizes tipped with a minnow head. PK's banged into the mud to wake them up. Then play cat and mouse. Keep taking the bait away to trigger them to bite.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:07 PM »
appleye you got it man. Striper you as well.

If you are looking for consistence with eyes I don't think you can find it.  If their "on" they will go on anything.  If there not you just got to keep working it.  Change Change Change till they go. 

Offline Walleye_Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Try a jigging rap size 7.. Fish it about 3-5 feet off bottom depending on the depth.. Just give it a snap up and let it fall on slack line.. If you mark a fish starting to rise stop jigging and slowly raise it up.. If they want it they will swim up for it.. I've caught a lot of fish in 20- 30 feet of water that swim up to hit my rapala 6 feet off bottom. Sometimes they even follow it up to 5 feet below the hole before they hit it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.