Author Topic: Smokers  (Read 2570 times)

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smokers
« on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:57 AM »
I need to replace a worn out smoker. Looking for a midsize electric smoker. Any suggestions?
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smokers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:48 AM »
Big john smokers are good if you can find them. Don't use smokers any more though. Pro ally should start

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I have a Brinkmann electric smoker. Not top shelf by any means but I have been using it for about 15 years. Mine has three racks in it plus a water pan if needed. It is big enough for my purpose and for the price I would get another one.

WS

Offline HudsonRiverRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Cookshack

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Masterbuilt digital smoker, easy to use and not a bad price.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Luhr Jensen Little Chief..does a good job on what little I smoke..Think it got bought by another company, but still the same unit..

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Mine is the Smokehouse.  It is a 40 lb. smoker and just like the Little Chief but bigger.  For what little I use it anymore it serves my purpose.  Doesn't work very well in the cold though.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Flagaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I have a "Smokin-it" smoker. Really that is the name and it does an excellent job. Best smoker I have owned. Google and check out their web site.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:43 PM »
well I will answer your question with a question.  How much are you going to use it?  a dozen times a year or every weekend and a few times during the week?  It will make a big difference in my opinion on what you want to go with.

If you are going to use it a few times a year then almost any of the smokers on the market right now will work perfectly.  If you are going to use it a lot then I would spend the money on something of higher quality a Treaguer, Smokey Mountain, Bradely.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cheaper smokers they work great but if you plan on using it a lot you will thank yourself for spending a little more money on the higher quality components of the previously mentioned smokers.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:24 PM »
well I will answer your question with a question.  How much are you going to use it?  a dozen times a year or every weekend and a few times during the week?  It will make a big difference in my opinion on what you want to go with.

If you are going to use it a few times a year then almost any of the smokers on the market right now will work perfectly.  If you are going to use it a lot then I would spend the money on something of higher quality a Treaguer, Smokey Mountain, Bradely.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cheaper smokers they work great but if you plan on using it a lot you will thank yourself for spending a little more money on the higher quality components of the previously mentioned smokers.

I watched an episode of "Good Eats" Alton smoked a salmon to perfect perfection in a cardboard box ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-home-smoked-salmon/84125.html

Bullelk34

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more. The newer digitals are really great, you can control temp and time of heat/smoke. Less babysitting the smoker and more consistant results. I like my Bradley digital 6 rack, from jerky to pork butt to turkeys- they all come out perfect.

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Masterbuilt digital smoker, easy to use and not a bad price.
I have a Masterbuilt also, I like it but you have to watch it closely because it will dry out the stuff that hangs right over the heating elements.  They were inexpensive when I bought mine, but I see the price came down even more.  I thought I remember seeing one advertised for around $150.  I use the bag of hickory chips that you find in the walmart outdoor section.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:40 AM »
I watched an episode of "Good Eats" Alton smoked a salmon to perfect perfection in a cardboard box ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-home-smoked-salmon/84125.html

You can no doubt and if you are going to smoke a few times a year you can use the grill (gas or charcoals) grill you already have.  BUT if you are going to use it a lot then it's worth investing in something of high quality

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I use a King Webber to do my smoking.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:54 AM »
i ended up getting a bradley non digital for 100 bucks at menards this fall it was in a dusty box in the grill area.works great but i like charcoal smokers the best..but for that price i went with bradley.look up the ugly drum smoker cheap to build and holds a ton of fish or meat.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Big Steel Keg!

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:36 PM »
I have a Traeger it's a pellet smoker it's 3 years old and I love it

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:48 AM »
My only problem with electric smokers is they lack the heat to get to temperature when cooking large sized or large quantity of food or in the cold.  You have to figure an outlet typically provides 1800 watts of power. That is at best 6143 BTUs. nowhere near enough heat. My current smoker with a 15 k burner is marginal under heavy load or in the winter let alone 1/3 of that.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2013, 12:44 PM »
My only problem with electric smokers is they lack the heat to get to temperature when cooking large sized or large quantity of food or in the cold.  You have to figure an outlet typically provides 1800 watts of power. That is at best 6143 BTUs. nowhere near enough heat. My current smoker with a 15 k burner is marginal under heavy load or in the winter let alone 1/3 of that.

when its really cold its hard to beat a ceramic cooker, all i use now is a big green egg and while its not as big as some smokers i can still pack in 30 plus pounds of meat in the large size. you also get the benefit of other types of cooking on it

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Big chief smoker hands down. I smoke alot of salmon and this is easy and works well

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I use the small cookshack.  Well insulated, use it in winter all the time.  Dont think i've ever turned it up past 1/3 on the dial.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2013, 04:46 PM »
what do you normally smoke?  how often do you use it? and will you use it in the winter alot?

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Smoke everything. Mostly fish & turkey. Use it year around.
Leaning towards a Bradley right now.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Smoke everything. Mostly fish & turkey. Use it year around.
Leaning towards a Bradley right now.

you can't go wrong with the bradley then.  its pretty well insulated and you can find any type of biscuit you need.   i'm not a bradley fan on looong 10+ hour cooks but it does well with everything else.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:25 PM »
I'd recommend you check out Bradley's forum. Read EVERYTHING you can on there and you may very well decide to purchase one, OR you may learn enough you can purchase some "accessories", and either purchase a less expensive Bradley, or use Bradley "parts" to make your own! I purchased a 6 rack digital Bradley and I love it. Having said that, if I had to do it over, I'd use their elements, sensors, fuses, and possibly their smoke generator, along with an Auber dual controller, and a dual probe remote thermometer, and convert the non working freezer out back into a super smoker!!! All the info to do either is on there!!! Good luck, and enjoy.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I always go old school. I got a Brinkmann that uses charcoal and wood. This is from back in the days when they knew how to build em. 1/4" thick steel, it's about 450 lbs of large. Built to hold a small hog and last a lifetime.  Not to be confused with the thin crap they display in front of the big box stores. Don't think they make these anymore. Buy the real charcoal wholesale by the pallet, and cut your own wood for the smoke.
 Can't just light it and walk away, but there is something to be said for catching a tan in the winter on the back deck, draining a beer and basting ribs. ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I have a Smoke Hollow propane and a Little Chief electric, for red meats I prefer the gas it seems to be to much for the fish but the little chief works great for the fish real low heat and great smoke. The electric takes longer but it is a better result.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:55 AM »
My weber grill that I also BBQ with - it came with some small charcoal bins that you place around the outside edges of the lower of the two grates.  Add a few coals for the heat + your mesquite or favorite wood and you'll be thinking about the last time you smoked your fish and how it left your mouth watering for an encore performance
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline MNDan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2013, 11:26 AM »
A big steel keg (now Broil King Keg) plus a Pitmaster IQ110 will meet all of your needs from smoking at 175F up to 800F for pizza! I love mine! You can read up on all of the different things you can do with it on some of the big green egg forums as well as the big steel keg forums. I love the BSK for it's efficiency, durability, portability, and cost compared to a BGE.

Offline frozencheeks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM »
I love my bradley electric smoker.  Set the amount of chips you want (each burns 20 minutes) and walk away.  Works great on everything from deer to salmon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.