The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Carmi. Does anyone have any fishermans ethics!?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
Lake Carmi. Does anyone have any fishermans ethics!?
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:23 PM »
A few of us went up to carmi Saturday morning flag fishing. It was my first time ever going there. Anyways there was 6 of us and we all had out limit of tipups out there.. And it covered a pretty large area.. And at least 5 times that day some idiot drove in between all of our tipups!! And one guy drive though them all around 6 or so. PRIME TIME FOR WALLEYES... and very one was blowing donuts in there trucks. Do some of you people not realize that your truck and atv sends vibrations through the ice in shallower water like carmi and the fish feel that! I mean we had been there for 8 hours waiting patiently for that last hour bite and some idiot had to drive right through all of our flags! Do any of you people that drie on the ice have any ethics!? Or care about anyone else, besides yourself!? All I have to say. I was disappointed to have multiple people not drive around our flags.. Unreal
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Carmi. Does anyone have any fishermans ethics!?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Hey, a buddy's girlfriend drove her sled across Bomo this weekend to say hi and see how I was doing. She actually stopped and parked her sled outside my furthest tip-up and walked through the spread to the shanty. I was amazed and impressed. He's got a keeper there!  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 AM »
Yeah that he does! Ha i mean carmi is 1400 acres.. They had PLENTY of room to drive around. But yes people who so drive around your flags ( which there isn't very many of them), I appreciate what they do

Offline flagdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:07 AM »
I agree i was at Seymour a few weeks ago and trucks were driving right by my 4 flags I'm allowed it was like really

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:22 AM »
maybe they think you set flags up in there road! haha
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Hey, a buddy's girlfriend drove her sled across Bomo this weekend to say hi and see how I was doing. She actually stopped and parked her sled outside my furthest tip-up and walked through the spread to the shanty. I was amazed and impressed. He's got a keeper there!  :tipup:

I saw that as we were leaving. I commented to Reel Nurse that it was pretty cool to see.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I can sympathize with your frustration. Saturday on Bomo was a freaking circus. We were out and set up by 0630 and ready for the morning bite. It was slow, we managed one pike just after sunrise  then around 10am the lake got crazy with traffic. Snowmobiles on bare ice/thin snow cover/ are crazy loud. I bet the fish spook from all the noise the sleds create.

It was about impossible to NOT drive through people's spreads on the north end, the lake was packed and there was not organized "road" where you could really stay clear of spreads but that is the nature of derby fishing. Sunday was a different story though, the wind and cold kept a lot of would be "die hards" home by the heater LOL!!  :tipup:

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 PM »
I feel your pain...
I've made comments about how I can be fishing from shore under a drawbridge and land a very nice SM bass only to have the bass boat fleet horn right in on me, I mean RIGHT on me within 5 feet from shore with them angling the bow of the boat right on top of where my line is in the water...

Ron White says " You can't fix stupid"
Well said! I say.
Won't catch me on a body of water where a tourney is taking place, waste of time, money and effort to fish when a circus is in town...
Should've seen the ice parking lot and zoo going on near those few our at Mallett's trying to fish during the Pond Hockey tourney...bet we won't see many posts here about the nice catch at Mallett's this weekend...just sayin'

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Aw man we tried fishing mallets Saturday, what a zoo that was. . . . . .
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2013, 01:08 PM »
where ever and when ever there is a tournament or a derby I avoid that place and go somewhere else,I'm tired of the zoo and tired of trying to beat cheaters

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
tourneys
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2013, 01:14 PM »
I will gladly go to a different lake rather than fish in the midst of a derby, Not my cup of
tea, too each his own preference.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Carmi was a mess all weekend, we got there friday and set up max tips for 4 people. as we were setting up a guy that has a camp on the lake started drilling holes, he set a line that went from north of the island, all the way to the south shore, right through the middle of 2 of the lines we had just set. The guy then proceeded to take his UTV and drive to his camp go inside, and ignore his flags for the next 2 hours (including one that went off 10 minutes after he drove off) he had multiple flags off for over 30 minutes unchecked. He then checked his flags and did the same again. Then later in the day a group of 10 trucks started building a village just north of us, and they ended up setting up well over 100 tips in a manner that they almost totally encircled us. Saturday morning after everyone got back to the lake, we moved all our gear away from that group and set in the middle of the lake to find a little space, but then had to deal with people driving 40mph through our lines all day. People just have no respect.

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I agree i was at Seymour a few weeks ago and trucks were driving right by my 4 flags I'm allowed it was like really
It's unreal.. I mean how hard is it to drive around all of the flags.. It may take you 5 more seconds. But in the long run all the fisherman wot hate you if you drive around them!

Offline Rickybobby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:38 AM »
You ladies should start another hobby.
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 AM »
You ladies should start another hobby.
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Im going to make the assumption that you are one of the "bee-line through tip up spread" kind of guys? I suppose when you have the money to risk a $20,000+ car or truck out on the ice, you probably don't have to worry about wasting money on gas and bait just to have your trip be possibly ruined by lazy people. I don't have any scientific proof that vehicle traffic scares fish, but Im going to stand on the "it does" side of the argument. There are plenty of places to recreate with a motor vehicle, and a frozen lake shouldn't be one of them IMHO.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Rickybobby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Im going to make the assumption that you are one of the "bee-line through tip up spread" kind of guys? I suppose when you have the money to risk a $20,000+ car or truck out on the ice, you probably don't have to worry about wasting money on gas and bait just to have your trip be possibly ruined by lazy people. I don't have any scientific proof that vehicle traffic scares fish, but Im going to stand on the "it does" side of the argument. There are plenty of places to recreate with a motor vehicle, and a frozen lake shouldn't be one of them IMHO.

I would not drive a truck on the ice if you paid me to.
I think it makes a difference on the fish.
I walk everywhere.
I'm just sick of the belly aching.
I think there way too many people here using this forum
To whine.
It must be a vermont thing other states forums don't have these
Problems.
That's just my opinion.

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchman From The Northeast
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Well, thats why us ice fisherman should all get together and say something. See game wardens are also cops. They can enforce motor vehicle complaints. If they were actually checking on the lakes and taking some of these complaints serious, then us ice fisherman would be protected. The problem is you can tell them, they will look you in the eye and say that they are on it but will never revisit your complaint. Were not protected. We can hunt and fish and pay alot of money but we cant have any protection. Animal activist can drive by honk there horn, yell, and you miss a deer on unposted land, your doin it legal and they dont do a thing even though its a form of harrassment. Now there just gonna make it illegal to do any road hunting. They dont want to do there job. I feel you!
Be Safe! Have Fun! FISH ON!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I walk everywhere.
To whine.
Problems
That's just my opinion.

You should should read the NY, Maine, Mass, NH, or any other state board. You would see that its all over!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Carmi was a mess all weekend, we got there friday and set up max tips for 4 people. as we were setting up a guy that has a camp on the lake started drilling holes, he set a line that went from north of the island, all the way to the south shore, right through the middle of 2 of the lines we had just set. The guy then proceeded to take his UTV and drive to his camp go inside, and ignore his flags for the next 2 hours (including one that went off 10 minutes after he drove off) he had multiple flags off for over 30 minutes unchecked. He then checked his flags and did the same again. Then later in the day a group of 10 trucks started building a village just north of us, and they ended up setting up well over 100 tips in a manner that they almost totally encircled us. Saturday morning after everyone got back to the lake, we moved all our gear away from that group and set in the middle of the lake to find a little space, but then had to deal with people driving 40mph through our lines all day. People just have no respect.

Just tells me again that Vt's monster  tipup allowance is TOO MONSTER!!   All those tipups (covering to big an area AND unattended) are not the way to create a friendly ice fishing community!!   NH's  two(2) tipup lakes seem extreme but there is definitely an altenative extreme.

Dick

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:01 PM »
I walk everywhere.
To whine.
Problems.
That's just my opinion.

If you don't like us Vermonters, then get the hell off our state forum and go back to your states "perfect" ice fishing forum!

Offline Rickybobby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:31 PM »

You guys are more fun,simpler too.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Sorryful thing is, that more Ice Fishing Derby's, with no respect, from these Organizations, when it comes to fishing pressure, on these small Lakes, Ponds in Vermont.  Lake Carmi, was put in the Wrights Fishing Derby, a few years ago.  Why, so far away, from the NEK?  Oh, Ron Wright said, that he didn't want alot of Vehicles, on just the few, Lakes, in the NEK, that has Walleye in them?  So, what does he do, this year.  He advertises, on WCAX, this year, for this just past, fishing Derby. ::)  I feel your pain, about these individuals, who drive thru or near your Tip-ups, as we had this happen to us, on Lake Champlain, during the Islander Derby.  I kepted my cool, and my Nephews, caught some nice Northern Pike, Ling, Pickerel and Perch, during our weekend, even though, there were Vehicles driving day and night, on the ice, near our Tip-ups.  Also, I caught, a beautiful Largemouth Bass, that I released, down the hole.  There are bad apples, everywhere, during Fishing and Hunting.  I wished, with all of the Tech, that our Fish and Game Wardens, would start cleaning up the bad apples.  I am still waiting!   

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 AM »

Just tells me again that Vt's monster  tipup allowance is TOO MONSTER!!   All those tipups (covering to big an area AND unattended) are not the way to create a friendly ice fishing community!!   NH's  two(2) tipup lakes seem extreme but there is definitely an altenative extreme.

Dick
Yup extreme in NH here is my spread on newfound lake saturday 1 tip and 1 jig rod...

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:30 AM »
And the snowmobiles went whizzing right through it didn't they BB?  ;D

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:01 AM »
LOL!  :tipup:

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 AM »
I feel your pain and agree, but how far apart are your tip-ups?  I usually spread mine about 15 feet apart, just barely enough room for a car to go through.  I would be #%@#ed.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2013, 04:12 PM »
And the snowmobiles went whizzing right through it didn't they BB?  ;D

3 times

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Some things will never change. Cars, trucks, and snowmobiles have been driving through and over tipups since they were invented. Guaranteed, it riled our grandfathers too, only they didn't have the internet to air their griefs.   :tipup:

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:13 PM »
It was a Lake, that Ron Wright put in his Ice Fishing Tournament, a few years ago, to fish for Walleye.  Sorryful, as it is a long way away, from the Weigh in Station. 

DickBaker

Vt Monster Tip ups?  Not a way to create a Ice fishing friendly Community?  What is that surpose to mean?  Also, just because, us Vermonters can fish with more tip ups?  Whats your beef?  Go to your own State Leg, in your own State, and get your Regs, changed on the amount, of Tip ups, on your own State Lakes, Ponds, etc.  I enjoy, Ice Fishing and try to instill to my Family, to bring everything, that we brought off the ice, trash, etc.  We leave the ice, with nothing that wasn't surpose to be there.  Its called Police call.  ;D

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Mempfree, NH really does allow more then 2 tip ups I think its 6, the 2 tip up rule is in trout lakes...if you choose to fish lakers its 2 lines.BB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.