Author Topic: Marcum Flasher issue  (Read 1828 times)

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Flasher issue
« on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:05 PM »
I have a Gander Mountain GS-X model flasher. It was made by Marcum about five years ago. It is the same thing as the vx-1 except that it has a lower output (600 watt compared to the more powerful 1000 watt VX-1).

1. I am having an issue with my readout. The unit turns on and I can see my jig, but once I get past the halfway mark on the dial, it starts to fade and eventually disappears. I have to turn my gain all the way up to even see anything, which makes interpreting targets nearly impossible. I emailed Marcum about the issue and they said to get a new battery.

2. I have had the same battery since I purchased the unit 4 years ago. It is a 12V 7.2Ah battery. When I charge it, the charger only gets to yellow, indicating that the battery is not at full charge. When I connect the terminals it turns the machine on. I bought a new 12V 7A battery at Dicks the other day.  I put it on the charger and the charger is showing green, indicating that it is fully charged. When I connect the terminals and turn on the unit, there is no power.

I love the flasher and I'm not in the market for a new one. It seems like they should last longer than four years when taken care of properly. It did retail for $299.99 brand new. What do you guys think? The new battery was already opened at the store, maybe it was old or a dud? If I get a new battery do you think that it will work normally again? I'm just afraid there might be a different issue other than the battery. 12V 7A seem to be hard to find in my area. Will a 12V 9A work or is that too much for my 600 watt flasher?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum Flasher issue
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:47 PM »
12 volt is 12 volt the ah rating is how many hours the battery will run.... Sounds like a bad ducer more than battery issue....

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I'd try a new battery first.  That said, transducer technology is pretty funky really.  Some crystals last decades and some fail much earlier. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Got this off of the Vexilar site sounds very  similar to your issues          http://vexilar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157   .Batteries cause a multiple issues if they are not charged .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Ok thanks for the insight everyone. I am going to take back the battery and get another one. Once I know I have a good, fully charged battery I will try it out on the ice. It was looking good last week, but this warmer weather isn't good. I need ice to properly check it... if it's not the battery I will try with another/new transducer.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:36 PM »
X2 batteries are the most common problems try another battery if that doesn't work it could be bad wires I would just replace the wire connections and check wires with a continuity tester .  That's the number one problem but if unit runs but just doesn't show your jig or acts up when transducer gets wet for awhile its the transducer or transducer cord
Never to many short poles

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:12 AM »
I am pretty sure you are dealing with a ducer on the way out and not a battery issue.  I had a ducer go on my hummingbird and was able to fish but had similar issues.  I would be shocked if it is a battery issue.  You should contact Marcum and see if their new ducers fit the GS-X model. 

Good luck. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Most of these guys are correct - first order is making sure you have a good battery.  4 years on a SLA battery is decent life.  It would be my 1st suspect.  So you connect your battery and the unit will not power up?  How about if you leave the charger connected?

Do you have, or can you get/borrow, a voltmeter that you can use for testing?
Test the output of the charger - should be some 14.+ volts.
Test the battery - should be some 13.2 volts fully charged, and the charge stay up over a short (1 or 2 hour) period of time.

Then start looking for other issues.

Good luck and I hope it is just a battery issue.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Batteries and connections and week spots in the wire are 90% of unit failure and transducers maybe 10%  but I  don't no on a Marcum with those units running at such high watts the tranducers probably wont last as long because it comes down to if you stretch a molecule millions of times it loses strenght

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Batteries and connections and week spots in the wire are 90% of unit failure and transducers maybe 10%  but I  don't no on a Marcum with those units running at such high watts the tranducers probably wont last as long because it comes down to if you stretch a molecule millions of times it loses strenght

That's funny  :roflmao:  If it's a "flasher" the mechanics are likely to fail next to the battery.  I would say.  I'd like to see some data on ducer failures due to power!

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I actually have a vx1 and had same thing going on, sent me a new ducer and problem solved. Good lick

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 03:20 PM »
not due to lack of power silly rabbit . in the medical field transducers on ultra sound equiptment go bad because of the watts they push through them and they even have expiration dates on the transducers that's just a fact

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Well, the new battery I just bought just seems to be a dud, because my other one still turns the unit on and this one doesn't...I am taking it back tomorrow and will be getting a new one. Once I get that and can rule that out I will let you know! Thanks again for all the helpful tips, advice and suggestions!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.