Author Topic: What flasher with $400  (Read 14382 times)

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
What flasher with $400
« on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:34 PM »
I have never used one and do not have much knowledge on them but I have a $400 budget from the wife and I thought since I have the flip over, heater, and camera already I would put it towards a new low end flasher. So I come to the experts to lead me in the right direction.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What flasher with $400
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:48 PM »
With $400 you cant go wrong with a marcum lx-3TC or a humminbird Ice 45. I'd stay away from the fl-8, or the fl-18 which is slightly over your price range, simply because you will get many more features and IMO a better unit with the marcum or bird.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Plenty of used FL-8 out there.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Go for the Marcum lx3 tc or even a Marcum showdown unit. I like color on the 3 and personally use a 2500 watt lx5 with 3/4" target sep in zoom and dual beam . The showdown has 1/2" target separation and 8000 watts, zoom that is adjustable software upgrade available when ever marcum has them. the Lx3tc is true color display 2000 watts of power 1" target separation in zoom mode. both come with 9 amp hr battery and soft pack to keep the unit in good shape. Can't go wrong with either. Get a unit with options and extras now cause you can. You get your moneys worth with Marcum
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I agree with BBK the FL-8 is way overpriced for what you get,  LX-3 would be my choice if new or look for a used LX-5 might find one for $400 if you look....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I would also suggest a Showdown Dual beam but if you're looking for a traditional flasher (the circle with different colored lights) I would go with the Marcum LX3.  For me I never used any flashers before and the Showdown seemed real simple to figure out and use, which it is.  It's nice to be able to switch between beam widths and having 1/2 inch target separation.  Some people don't like the Showdown because of it's gray and black display screen but it doesn't bother me, larger objects are thicker lines while smaller are thinner lines on the display.  In less than a half hour you'll be running it like a pro and it works exactly as advertised.

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Before anyone can make a suggestion on what flasher you should buy, some information should be collected. The flasher you chose should be based on the waters your fishing, shallow (say 60-80ft) or deep (80+) It will make a difference in what flasher you actually need. I will admit I am partial to Vexilar products, I have had a showdown, i found the grey scale not user friendly, then i got an LX-3, my hubby also had an LX-5 then he had an LX-7, our personal experience is that our Marcum's didnt hold up. We had to replace both mine and his and the LX-7 had a recall. Even though the Vex may be a but higher priced it is something you are gong to have for years to come. The waters we fish are on the shallow end and i have a FL-12 with a 12 degree ice ducer, it retails $429.00. Its very user friendly and i love it... ~Mandy
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Humminbird ice-45!! My buddy picked up a Humminbird ice 55 on Ebay , new for 409$$ and that is an awesome unit.. That price might have been because it was pre season,,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:39 PM »
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:46 PM »
What recall was on the 7 ?? I have owned one since they came out and unaware of any recall,they did however need a free firmware update.. A FL-12 is no more than a flat screen FL-8 and not even on par with Marcums VX-1, as for durability the Marcums will last as well as the Vex will, have owned both.....I use my LX-5 and 7 from 6' to 50+ and have yet to see a FL-8, 12,18,20 or 22 match either in performance.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I honestly can not believe anyone would spend $450 for a flat screen fl-8.... aka the fl-12.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I would take a look at Vexilar or Hummingbird.   With Vexilar being the most dependable unit on the market.  You may pay a little more, but you'll have a product that will work right out of the box and will continue working for years.

Offline tt350z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:10 PM »
ICE-55

If you're considering a Hummibird, take a look at the ICE-55 over the ICE-45. It's only like $22 more at most places but you get a soft carry case (the 45 doesn't come with one), more power, 6 color palette, target line.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I honestly can not believe anyone would spend $450 for a flat screen fl-8.... aka the fl-12.
What I was thinking exactly. I have used all the vex units out there and they will help you out, I just feel your money goes farther with marcum . The soft pack, crisp display and fine lines speak for themselves. All the units from marcum come with soft pack not an extra cost to you. ;)
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I would take a look at Vexilar or Hummingbird.   With Vexilar being the most dependable unit on the market.  You may pay a little more, but you'll have a product that will work right out of the box and will continue working for years.

All can or cannot work right out of the box ...Willing to bet 90% shouting Vex is best have never spent hours with a Vex next to the competition, those of us former Vex owners ( and at the time happy dedicated owner) that have see the difference the competition brings to the table and happily sold our Vex's for something other and happy and content with not 1 regret or thought of " Wish I had a Vex".... Vex has the name since for over 20 years were about the only option and over the years thats all we have heard, since they have been around the longest then of course they must be the best is the accepted mentality....My 27" TV I bought in 1990 was state of the art back then and still functions today but much prefer watching my 50" LCD HD in HD over the old school tv's... appears many of you still prefer rabbit ears and an old tube type 20" tv....Hell even an old Commadore 64 was a great machine back in the 80's, but most uf us have cell phones now with more computer power than it had....Vex is old school, new wave is digital and here to stay and the future of ice electonics....

Take Hamms for example, we spoke last year privatly about the differences between Vex and Marcum, he was dedicated to Vex so stayed with them... This year decided to see for himself the differences and regretted not taking good advice given to hin a year ago, his eyes have been opened to the vast difference between at least Vex and Marcum just as my eyes were opened to the Marcum when a friend set his next to my Vex....

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:17 PM »
ICE-55

If you're considering a Hummibird, take a look at the ICE-55 over the ICE-45. It's only like $22 more at most places but you get a soft carry case (the 45 doesn't come with one), more power, 6 color palette, target line.

X2

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:26 PM »
With $400 you cant go wrong with a marcum lx-3TC or a humminbird Ice 35. I'd stay away from the fl-8, or the fl-18 which is slightly over your price range, simply because you will get many more features and IMO a better unit with the marcum or bird.

+1

You can get a VX-1 or an Ice 35 for SUB $300 right now. Both are really great units. The Ice 45 or LX-3tc will really push the $400 mark with taxes.

Vexilar blah blah, show me some features and get your prices under control. ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:29 PM »
+1

You can get a VX-1 or an Ice 35 right now for SUB $300 right now. Both are really great units. The Ice 45 or LX-3tc will really push the $400 mark with taxes.

Vexilar blah blah, show me some features and get your prices under control. ;)

Rod holde,cup holder, flex light,tackle box.... what more do you want for features?    ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I miss the flex light on my ultra pack, but that's about it. ;)

Good riddance to the rest of it.

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 PM »
...Willing to bet 90% shouting Vex is best have never spent hours with a Vex next to the competition,

Well, since there has only been two post suggesting Vexilar.  One stated both her and her husband previously used marcum, and decided to go back to Vexilar because of all the issues they had.   And myself, which I have never owned a Marcum, but have used a lx5 before, and didn't like the jumpy screen so I stayed with the Vexilar.  I also have a Hummingbird 45, which is a nice unit, but I still favor the Vexilar when I go out.   So your assumption is a little off, I would say so far 100% that have "shouted Vex is best", have used a marcum.   The whole forum knows that you heavily favor marcums, but to discredit others choice of which flasher they choose is crazy.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Marcum has the least "jumpy" screen on the market... Not even close. Even the cheap ones are rock solid and don't flicker.

Offline Jackwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont out smart your common sense...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Fleet farm here is WI has Vexilar Fl-18 on sale right now for $370, plus there running there big boys, big toys promo so you get a 50 dollar gift card for spending over 300.......a FL-18 for 320 dollars is unbeatable brand new outta the box, I dont care what anybody says, Ive seen all types of flashers, the bottom zoom feature of the FL-18 and the wear and tear these vexilars can take is well worth the money, ive never ever had any issues picking up fish or getting interference, just my 2 cents.............wart hog willy :)
Don't outsmart your common sense....

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I have a older 9 years old FL-8 and can do it all,I'm sorry but once you learn how to use it,it changes your game.Almost all my friends have better Vex's but I can see every gill and crappie they can see in the weed beds.You have to know your machine and what your looking at,some of my buds don't know what there looking for and have way better Vex's.

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Marcum has the least "jumpy" screen on the market... Not even close. Even the cheap ones are rock solid and don't flicker.

See the quote below from a diehard marcum user ( He goes by a different name here,  but you can figure who it is)

shaley
Re: Bad LX7, Good customer service.

"For the life of me I couldn't get mine to power up after initial set up, tried different batteries, power cord and battery on my LX-5 and everything Chris had me try... For giggles hit the button last night and low and behold it fired up and did so today to... Amazing unit on the ice, no regrets at all in buying one even with a few minor glitches that I'm sure Marcum will soon have a fix out for....Lines could be a little thinner like the SFL of the LX 5 I love so much and screen is jumpy and alot of flickering, not a deal breaker though...Oh and the most annoying thing, the power wires coming unhooked anytime you pick up the unit, even after tightening them up....."

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:54 PM »
And that was me and it was fixed by the update last winter and still an amazing unit.... Next time post the whole therad not just the part to make your agenda look better.... I will be adding a 2nd 6 or 7 to my stable even with this years qwirks since they are the cats meow for ice electronics....

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:55 PM »

( He goes by a different name here,  but you can figure who it is)

You were right lol

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Ohand by the way there is no more jumpy screen unit is rock solid from 6-40'

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:59 PM »
I have never used one and do not have much knowledge on them but I have a $400 budget from the wife and I thought since I have the flip over, heater, and camera already I would put it towards a new low end flasher. So I come to the experts to lead me in the right direction.

I would say if you have a Cabelas near you I would go there check out the units in person find the one you like and buy it. the reason I say this is, use your flasher for a few times out and if you like it great, if not you have 60 days to return it and get a different one. I know Cabelas is a bit overpriced but if you can return it and try another it seems to be worth it. the guys at Cabelas Rogers MN tell every one to buy it and you have 60 days to return it. Just dont break it. Hope this helps.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:59 PM »
It is crazy how we get into this topic as though there is a line in the sand or something.  ;D I only state my experience because I spent the money on vex as first unit and looking back now the guy at store who was telling me the lx5 is what I wanted was right, . BTW Marcums vx-1 pro and humminbird 35 would both be good choices for that price. Great options. The vx has same options as vexs top unit minus the flat screen.
Fishin red lines

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:01 PM »
And that was me and it was fixed by the update last winter and still an amazing unit.... Next time post the whole therad not just the part to make your agenda look better.... I will be adding a 2nd 6 or 7 to my stable even with this years qwirks since they are the cats meow for ice electronics....

Was is  jumpy or not?   No agenda here.........just posting what I read.   Skipper said that marcum are the least jumpy units on the market......just backing what I saw on the marcum  I tried, since he didn't seem to believe what I observed. 

And please.....agenda??????  Pot calling the kettle black

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.