Author Topic: Vexillar Fl-8 dave genz pack--or--the humminbird ice 35 flasher?  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
I do sometimes feel bad when the guy with the old Vex, Zercom, or Hondex has to shut off his unit because of the interference I cause! ;D

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
 interference rejection got that x10
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
interference rejection got that x10

x2 and if your willing to spend 700 on the new lx-7 more power to you

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Even the new FL-8 can get rid of the dreaded disco spin. IR is no problem with any model in production right now.

The trouble starts when someone shows up with a really old Vex SLE, a Green Box Lowrance, Hondex, or Zercom. These units from the 70's and 80's can't even cancel out interference with each other. They were not made to work under ice in the first place.

You can fish any current production unit in the same shack as any other current production unit in the same shack if you use the IR properly. "You can't fish Brand X next to your buddies Brand Y" is more misinformation designed to keep people loyal to one brand.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
x2 and if your willing to spend 700 on the new lx-7 more power to you

In perspective we spend $2k for a good open water unit, $700 isnt that bad for a dedicated top of the line ice unit

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In perspective we spend $2k for a good open water unit, $700 isnt that bad for a dedicated top of the line ice unit

true but open water fish finders and flashers are two completely different electronics flashers don't need to do nearly as much as open water units you're comparing apples to bananas they are both fruit but have to different tastes and purposes

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
very true i feel in regards to quality over costs you usually get what you pay for if researched properly
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline moonjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
go with the Bird

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
true but open water fish finders and flashers are two completely different electronics flashers don't need to do nearly as much as open water units you're comparing apples to bananas they are both fruit but have to different tastes and purposes

Well the 7 can be used on your boat if you like, it does have a graph screen... If I didnt rely so much on a GPS on the boat I would run my 7 all year...As far as graphing it's about the same as my HDS units on the Skeeter...

Offline Ice Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
As stated before, any flasher is better than no flasher. I personally have fished with a vexilar fl-12, marcum vx-1, and my Humminbird ICE-55 out of the same shack. All of them marked fish, all of them increased our catch, and all of them functioned flawlessly. The only difference was features. The marcum and Humminbird had the zoom feature, and I feel like that's what it took to make them outperform the vexilar that day. And from what I have seen, the power output seems to boost the ability of the flasher to pick up fish in weedy or shallow areas without much - if any - trouble. It all comes down to what features you want in your flasher. Best of luck in your decision.

My vote goes to the Humminbird

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
Vex, Genz pack.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice 35.
Bigger Screen, Dual Beam, Adjustable Zoom.

Or if you really want high class get the 345ci Ice combo so you have GPS.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
another thing is vex's are made in the US while there is nothing on the hummingbird website that says if they are so another plus for vex give jobs to americans!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
another thing is vex's are made in the US while there is nothing on the hummingbird website that says if they are so another plus for vex give jobs to americans!

vex is assembled in the us.  their parts are manufactured overseas.  same with humminbird.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Funny, my Vexilar said "Made in Japan" right on the back. ::)

Marcum is made by Versa Electronics in New Hope MN.

I don't know about the rest of them.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
I had a vex genz-pack and the 35. I sold the vex and the 35 and bought a 45  enough said :whistle:

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
I use a 35. Looking at buying an fl8 gents box for a second although I'm looking at used. When comparing flashers at that price point you have the fl8, the ice 35, and the vx1 pro. The bird and marcum both have zoom. The bird has a large flat screen. Although around here I can get a vex for 280, bird 299, and marcum 299 so I'm kinda still sold on the bird. Jmho from having spent a full year thinking about this and researching

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
if you are just starting out try the FL-8 Easy to use.Just My thought  Between The HBird and Vex.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline brp

• IceShanty Rookie
My son and I both have the ice 35 and really like them.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bang for the buck is the Marcum, but if you're fishing deeper water the ICE35 is darn hard to beat. Power aside, the dual transducer is the equalizer, as you really don't have that option in this price range.  The adjust zoom is also really nice, but the inclusion of the zoom is what blows the Vex out of the running. I don't even know how Vex could be considered once you add up the options available for the money involved. 

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sportsman guide has the VX-1 pro for 224.99 with free shipping and they will even break that up into payments if you want to.
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
I bought an FL8 back when it was state of the art.  It has a zoom of sorts.  Pull out the knob and you only see the bottom half of the water column. it has I.R. to bust the galloping disco wheel.  It has proved itself to be darn near bullet proof.  I keep drooling over the newer models knowing that until mine fails I will not get permission to replace it.  It also does everything that i need it to do for me.
My advice is to get the absolute best that you can afford.  Buying entry level stuff will just result in frustration.  The $$ you spent will be gone and the better tool will still beckon. 

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum.  I've had the Vex and my buddy has the hummingbird.  Marcum LX-3 is amazing.  I've found them used.
Big Bass Lee

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fished my old fl8 for over 20 yrs and it still works as a loaner for friends that are without. Good inside a hut but outside viewing on a sunny day..nope. I upgraded to the fl18 because of the zoom, anti rejection and the brighter dial and felt that was the only worthwhile useful new features. I prefer to not have a flat screen as I put a flat black painted coffee can over the dial and bright sun or blowing snow is normally not an issue. Not a fan of whistles and bells but I would only recommend the fl18 and ignore the fl8.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I fished my old fl8 for over 20 yrs and it still works as a loaner for friends that are without. Good inside a hut but outside viewing on a sunny day..nope. I upgraded to the fl18 because of the zoom, anti rejection and the brighter dial and felt that was the only worthwhile useful new features. I prefer to not have a flat screen as I put a flat black painted coffee can over the dial and bright sun or blowing snow is normally not an issue. Not a fan of whistles and bells but I would only recommend the fl18 and ignore the fl8.

i'm sure they'd of had this info when they first made this thread 7 years ago. 

Offline Jomat

• IceShanty Rookie
I had to send my marcum M3 back to the factory for warranty service on its 4th trip out on the ice.  Good thing I had the 6 year old fl8 with no bottom zoom to get me thru the day.  In fact just bought the cord to let me run the vex off my marcum lithium shuttle for the next time it happens....having that lithium battery station is sweet.

For the type of fishing I do 15-60 fow....there is very little difference between the two.  Honestly the buzzing of the vex is a little annoying....marcum runs much quieter.

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
Durability is a “only time will tell” sort of thing. I know lots of units have more features but FL8SE I have has worked for over 10 years. Replaced battery once. It’s been dropped, fallen out or the truck, wet,cold,stuff piled on it and it just keeps working. I know some people are able to baby their stuff and others can wreck a lead block.  To me durability is the FL8SE claim to fame.  All the manufacturers discussed make good products so the one you are most comfortable with the controls,software and can see the display the best is the right one for you. If you fish outside controls you can work with gloves on is important. If you fish in a warm shack no so important.  Think about the depth you fish the most and look for a display that the graduation is best for that depth. Price is always a consideration. I fish 2-3 days a week from Xmas to the beginning of March so when I need to buy my next unit I could justify $500 but before i retired and only could fish 1 day a week then I couldn’t justify a $500 unit. Unless you live near the Canadian border or north the ice fishing season is pretty much over so take your time. Play with every unit you can get your hands on in the stores,assess your needs,do your research and the right unit for you will will just feel natural in your hands

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.