The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 12 -15 tipups in Vermont. Hard to believe!!  (Read 5277 times)

Offline MHC94

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 12 -15 tipups in Vermont. Hard to believe!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:14 AM »
It's all personal preference.  Just because Champlain allows 15 traps doesn't mean you have to use 15 (as previously stated).  It's nice for those that want to....... to be able to.  I have never set up 15 traps in my life but I don't feel because I don't, others shouldn't.  I know in certain areas where it's heavily fished it can get crowded quick but get there early.  It's all part of the fun.  This sounds like the same situation where guys that use rifles and don't bow hunt condemn bow hunting.  Guess what?  Were all hunters and need to stick together or we're not going to have anything!  Same with the fishing! 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Were all hunters and need to stick together or we're not going to have anything!  Same with the fishing!

Couldn't agree more.  We are our own worst enemy at times.  Whether you decide to use 5 tipups or 15 tipups.  Rifle hunt, or bow hunt.  It doesn't matter.  As long as we are all out there supporting/advocating the sport, having fun, following the law, and getting the youth involved...  THAT's all that matters.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Try fishing walleye on Champlain.  You will wish you had 50 tipups!
Until it's time to pick up! LOL!  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:42 PM »
When I fish salmon and have my spreads covering a lot of water picking up is a b****h! Anybody ever notice how it almost always seems to be the furthest flag that gets a wind or bait trip?
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:50 AM »
down on the connecticutt river setbacks in southern VT you are only allowed 6... 15 must sure keep you busy

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:04 PM »
down on the connecticutt river setbacks in southern VT you are only allowed 6... 15 must sure keep you busy

Nope!  Because they only check them when they have a flag.  The rest stay put until the end of the day or the last of the beer ;D

Maybe that's why they do so well with dead bait??

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:53 PM »
Seems like someone doesn't like tip up fishermen. I don't care what your opinion is but watch how your posts sound. You fish your way and I fish my way. I'll bet you're a panfish guy. You guys are the ones who have a problem! Atleast when we set our spreads we cover ONE spot of water, we don't move all over and crowd other people. I hae no problem letting a couple guys jig in my spread but guys who are going to hole hop right next to my spread? NO WAY. Stop trying to stir the pot on here.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2012, 04:35 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:Tench!  I'm obviously a lot older than you.  I grew up "trap" fishing in Maine.   May Grandfather many decades ago told me "it don't matter how many traps you fish it just depends on how carefully you fish those that you set"!!  I still have the 6 super quality traps that he made for me (rather than 15 junk economy traps) and I fish them with care and check them every 20 minutes to make sure that they aren't ice in and the shiners are lively. 

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:41 PM »
:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:Tench!  I'm obviously a lot older than you.  I grew up "trap" fishing in Maine.   May Grandfather many decades ago told me "it don't matter how many traps you fish it just depends on how carefully you fish those that you set"!!  I still have the 6 super quality traps that he made for me (rather than 15 junk economy traps) and I fish them with care and check them every 20 minutes to make sure that they aren't ice in and the shiners are lively.

So If I understand what your saying is that My 15 tipups that I setup for northerns are junk economy tip ups? Well lets see, I own 25 Heritage lakers at over $20 a pop loaded with tipup line and fully rigged, but they are junk. Hey what ever makes you sleep better at night. I will certainly enjoy running my 15 tipups tomorrow at carry bay and yep i will enjoy a few beers and probably not bump my bait every 20 minutes and still have fun and catch fish. Hey tench, come join me tomorrow and we can pepper the ice with all our evil tip ups. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Good luck with Woody tomorrow.

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Good luck with Woody tomorrow.
Come join us!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Have plans for Sunday. Need to save my kitchen passes. Thanks though.

Offline hookedup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Wow, This is all getting a little old.  The law says 15 tips on Champ, 8 inland with a couple exceptions.  If you can't handle the law then pull up your big girl panties and go to a state which lets you sit and stare at a single at a single tip all day!  Get over it.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:43 AM »
Whenever I set up on Champlain I would never set out my entire 15...more like 10-12....now it's gonna be 15 everytime....just cus

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:31 AM »
Whenever I set up on Champlain I would never set out my entire 15...more like 10-12....now it's gonna be 15 everytime....just cus
lol next time i go to champ i'm gonna bring my other half and 2 kids, this way i can put out 60 jacks,just cuz

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:31 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:51 AM »
If I messed with my tip ups every 20 minutes the lakers, walleye and the big ole pike wouldn't dig it! I  hope no one tells the fishies how cheap my tip ups are they'll never bite, and surely they are upset when they realize I catch some of them with a home made jig stick!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Well, isn't that special.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.