Author Topic: New n Frustrated  (Read 517 times)

Offline adirondackfreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
New n Frustrated
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Being raised in the Adirondacks, I can understand the reluctance to bring a stranger hunting to sacred grounds. You scout, check, track, follow and dream of that inclusive 10 or 12 pointer as a final addition to the empty wall above the fireplace, why risk bringing a first time hunter to bag your trophy...

But ice fishing? Common! Some locals, (and guys at Gander Mountain) will tell you what they "may" be hitting or even give you a lake name, where they may be hitting... But everyone seems to have a secret honey hole that they won't even share with a newby.

After three seasons of nothing but perch, I wanna catch a Wally jigging, although a deep laker on a tip up would give ample satisfaction.  So, if I can't get the right coordence, I have no luck, and I've met my reading limit preparing for 2012, I'm left to beg for some answers, PLEASE...

I added a vexilar ultra fl-20 to my sled, poles, tip ups, shanty, and heater.

In no order...
1. Why do I need a flasher for 8 feet of water? I can see that deep.  (Wifes question after spending  $600.00)
2. When they say add a minnowhead to you jig, do I really add a live Minnow, then cut off the body?
3. If I put my flashed in the water and a fish swims by or out of the flasher, do I move? Or will the fish tend to stay where they are and in the flashed range?
4. Do I need some kind of leader or steel something as walleys have teeth?
5. How do I find a structure in a man mad lake? 
6.  Should I just go to the 20' hole if its the deepest part?
7. They say stay quiet, seems to me august and drilling the holes makes a lot of noise, doesn't that scare fish away?

I hope you had a few good laughs, but everyone starts somewhere and I don't give up easy...

Thank you... Happy fishing.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: New n Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Your location in your info area might help.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:29 PM »
When you cry in the shower that way no one sees it.

There called honey holes for a reason. Not many people know about them. Keep on plugging away. Instead of focusing on what you HAVENT done focus on what you have learned and moved foward from there.

You not going to get them every time...
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:32 PM »
1. You may not ALWAYS be on 8 feet of water.
2. Just pinch the minnow right behind the gills and it should seperate pretty easily, then put it on the hook.... or hook first then pinch, however you prefer.
3. If your flasher hits on a fish, it is in the neighborhood. In most cases, if there is 1 fish there will be others. Sit tight and see if you can get it to bite.
4. I don't use a steel leader on walleye... but I am not a good walleye fisherman either... :P
5. Try to find a topographic map of the lake from the DNR, they may have a good lay out of the lake.
6. I prefer the deep areas, but explore a little and see how the fish are acting at different depths.
7. I'd imagine it is the same as a boat motor. It makes noise, but once it dies down the fish settle back down.

I am sure others have some different answers.

Also, a location would help. :)

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Use depth charts, fish between shallow and deep areas. Walleye tend to move shallow at night. Spread your traps over a variety of depths.
Save your dead minnows for the heads, also try waxworms.
You dont need steel leaders for walleyes.
Drill lots of holes
Find lakes with good walleye pops

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:15 PM »
Its just like hunting,  sometimes you have to put in your own time and do the leg work. 
Internet has killed a lot of "honey holes"    one guy tells you where to go, you tell your buddies, they tell
theirs and next thing he knows is that he goes back to it and there are 30 people killing the fish population
 he had to himself.   Im all for helping out people getting techniques and general principles down,  but at some
point you have to stop being spoon fed, and learn how to feed yourself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.