Author Topic: New lake, where to start?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
New lake, where to start?
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:25 AM »

This lake was renovated (drained, rehabbed, contoured, etc.) and refilled about three years ago. It's now loaded with jillions of 6-9 inch bluegill, 12-15 inch bass and 18-23 inch walleye, as well as massive (1-2 lb.) bullheads.

Because of a dry spell during the renovation, the lake lay dry for two or three years, and lots of brush (wild plum, cottonwood, cedar) and weeds, you name it, took over the bottom. It was a dove hunter's dream. Now the prairie weeds have been drowned out, and there's lots of lake weeds taking their place.

I want to hit the walleyes, since noone has started fishing this lake. Other lakes around being having more mature fish populations. I was catching 20 inch fish in April and May while bass fishing. I've never really targeted eyes on purpose. 5 rods/tipups in combination per person, 2 guys fishing.
 Here's a kicker. Due to no live minnow regs, those are out.

Where/how would you approach this lake?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: New lake, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I'll start at the main point in the middle of the lake, then try the east side of the lake.  Move up to the northeast and north side.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I would try the northeast corner.Pretty good change in contours might catch them coming shallow up the shelf at night

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I would keep the place a secret first off  ;D
Then fish it as often as possible with a couple dead sticks and jig rod/vex, marcum combo.  Are you allowed any type of bait at all?  Anchovies?

stick with points that lead to deeper water, and shore line dropoffs, and fish as many spots as possible with a morning/evening bite

Start with the northeast corner and make sure you mark it all on gps

good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.