Author Topic: Cold Weather Suit  (Read 2021 times)

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cold Weather Suit
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I have a ton of cold weather gear for the winter hunting climates here in the mountains of Montana, but I would like to buy something dedicated strictly to ice fishing.  I'm interested in any opinions on Ice Armor, Vexilar Cold Snap, Arctic Armor or others that might fill the bill.  I am looking for something that will allow for good mobility, because when I catch these big Rainbow through the ice, I yell, scream and dance a lot.  Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Adios,
.45-75WCF

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold Weather Suit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I'm old school and rock the carharts head to toe! They aren't waterproof but they are definately warm and durable.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:54 AM »
I think you're right.  I already have a pair of Wall insulated bibs and a great cold weather parka.  I have some Hunts Dry that will work perfect for waterproofing the canvas bibs, so I may stay with this set-up for now.  Thanks for the input.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Agree with the carhartt bibs. But I wear a columbia 3 in 1 jacket.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline hardH2Onut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchville
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I would put in my 2-bits for a suit made by Sno-suit.  I had an ice armor and was tired of the layering of cloths I had to wear in order to stay warm.  This new suit is waterproof, warm, has padding in the seat and knees, numbers of pockets for your gear and is very comfortable.  A bit pricey, but who can put a price tag on comfort.
"HAVE ICE?? WILL TRAVEL!!"

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I have a Ice Armor suit myself. I got it late last year, but it definitely was tested for 5 days in Green Bay, WI. I live in North Carolina, so you can imagine I am not used to being in the cold. Every morning the temps were down around 0*F, but I never had a problem with the Ice Armor. I would say the jacket may be a bit thin, needing an extra layer, but that would be my only complaint. I had so many pockets, I needed a map to find my stuff, especially my cell phone. Cell phone in the coat pocket to be lost when bending over you say? The pockets have zippers and flaps to keep your stuff where it needs to be. I really liked the waterproof and padded knees. The whole jacket is water repellent, but the padded knees worked great. In the past, I would throw my chopper mittens down and knee on them, but I didn't need to with the bibs. They are a good product for the price when you compare to the other ones out there. Good luck with any choice you make.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 02:03 PM »
I'm going to buy the blue ice armor suit for this coming winter. I've heard a lot of great things about them and am excited to try it out. The fabric could use some more insulation but I like the option of layering underneath.

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Arctic Armour, just in case there is even the slightest chance of going in.
Even if there isnt, you never know.

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 02:39 PM »
.45-75wcf for your and other members information there are a couple of threads on this topic in the dressing for ice fishing forum.
    I wore Carhartt Arctic Extreme bib overalls (black nylon outer shell) for years,with a Columbia sportswear coat  and various layers underneath.If your funds are tight Carhartts are a great product for the money.
   In December 2007 I purchased the IDI Arctic Armor original suit (RED/black) ,quilted lining. The suit works well though it could wick moisture better,you can get a damp upper body during periods of high activity. The weight difference between the Arctic Armor and Carhartts is night and  day ,you will not feel like there is twenty pounds on your shoulders.The bibs have gators in the legs which may affect your getting them over the boots you wear. Also the floation feature is nice to have just in case you do go through the ice. Multiple pockets on the coat.
 I hope this post is of some help to you.
  Steve

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:53 PM »
I tried all of em on the other day at Reeds. I think it is wrong the way Ice Armor makes you buy the entire suit instead of being able to buy bibs or coat separately.  I don't remember ever seeing that from anyone else.

Beside that, I like the jacket a lot the bibs not as much. A brand called Sno Suit sells separately and their bibs are much nicer with real padding in the knees and  butt far more than ice armor.  The are very pricey though, $250US for each.  the sno suit bibs would suit me just fine making it hard to buy an otherwise desirable ice armor product with its less desirable  bibs. 

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:50 PM »
All I know is that just the fact that theyre bouyant seems worth it to me.  If I had 300$ to shell out then I'd go with the one that floats. It would pay off big time if you ever went thru.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:00 PM »
I went from wearing hunting gear to Arctic Armor.
But if I ever went under with my Cabala's coveralls on I'd be sharing my beer with the Old Flying Dutchman!

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Hey big sky fisher,
I also have the Artic Armor, in soft camo.  
Pros: So light you hardly Know you're wearing outerwear.  Floats.  I can use them in the duck blind.  Padded knees.
Cons: Could use more insulation in the shoulder area.  Bibs could use pockets.  Coat doesn't breath enough when you're active or in a warm car. Snow and ice sticks to the soft camo fabric.

Overall, I like them and can overcome most of the cons by layering with a down vest, and removing or venting coat when working hard.
The floatation is the most important feature for me.  I think the important thing is to try on any suit you're considering and definitely count on layering be it microfleece, wool or poly.

Hope that helps, and leave a few of those bows for me
Tight lines

Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I have the Arctic Armor.  It's a little restrictive in the shoulders for me.  The pockets in the bibs are in a bad location.  If you put anything in them, they get in the way of kneeling/sitting down and bending over.  Not the most comfortable.  It's great for flotation.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:33 AM »
I got an Artic Armor last year and I love it.  It is warm and cuts the wind like no other garment I have ever owned.  And, I like the idea of it floating and giving me time to get out of the water in case I ever do fall through.  While it hasn't ever happpened to me, I want every advantage I can get, just in case.  I fish alone a lot of days and will not have anyone to help me out in an emergency.  Not the smartest thing to do, I know, but that is the way it is.
Mike

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Take a look at the strikemaster suit that is what i have and it is very very warm and waterproof and pretty fairly priced

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Thanks guys.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input and suggestions.  I'll check out all of these ideas and let you know what I decide.  I'll be coming back to ask questions about "flashers" too.  No, I'm not talking about naked people running across the ice.  Later.

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I got my red arctic armour suit last year and love it, water proof, bouyant, and warm enough that I hardly ever need to wear the jacket, my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.