The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Martinsdale Reservoir is ON FIRE for Fat Trout!  (Read 10024 times)

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Martinsdale Reservoir is ON FIRE for Fat Trout!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Just let me offer a couple suggestions as a piece of advice and some experience on fishing out (coming from a fella younger than you with multiple state fishing experience). Feel free to take it or leave it. In my college years over in North Dakota (where the state stocks 400 some prairie lakes, which is awesome), there was a lake south of Bismarck an hour in rural NoDak, that was pumped full of nice pike. Maybe 400 acres or so. On early ice, the fishing was phenomenal...talking 20-30 pike in an afternoon (we didn't keep any), all in the 5-12 lb range. A couple weeks in, wind made its way up to Bismarck and the local area, not at our fault, as we didn't talk, and the rest of the year, as well as the two following years, you couldn't buy a pike out of there. Just as an example of fishing out a body of water.

I agree with the majority of the comments on not naming the reservoir. There's creative ways to come up with suggestions, you know, "we're an hour west of Harlowton out here at the base of the Big Mountain Range, blah, blah, blah," then handle any inquiries as to the actual spot by PM or by your own prerogative. As a guy that compiles fishing videos and posts occasionally, mostly at the end of a season to share with buddies, I completely understand that the material is yours and can be compiled, edited, and posted anywhere, as you like. For those fellas that have been fishing the particular body of water for any period of time and having success, it is perfectly understandable that they may be upset. In a state with decent lake and ice fishing as spread out as it is, it makes sense that guys would be protective of their spots, especially in a rural setting. Back when I was growing up out of town, it always bugged me to see guys showing up in their big, shiny pickups, letting out their bird dogs, and shooting all the pheasants out of the area I lived, so I understand that. Viewers a couple states away may enjoy knowing the spot to imagine what it would be like fishing there, but the lake's fishermen may not agree.

That all being said, well done video. Fishing looked awesome and the contemporary editing style of the video is a good choice. I enjoyed it, keep it up!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:30 PM »
I say we see this hot spoting all the time because it happens. Someone finds a hot perch bite on say CF and it gets out the next weekend there are a 100 guys there and the school gets hammered and is gone.

Montana is not as empty as it looks to an outsider. In that area we only have about four public reservoirs that ice up. Guys will flock to the bite and like I said it is done. Nothing to do with the number of fish stocked, that is irrelevant. The other issue is that the lake becomes a zoo with a four wheelers and dogs running all over.

May seem selfish to some but a 1000 acre reservoir with everyone fishing the north shore ruins it for regulars.

I think the sentiment is clear and it would be great if you respected that by simply not naming places.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Parking issues, more garbage, more conflict, issues with neighbors... List goes on and on as to what hotspotting does....

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:33 PM »
It's this attitude right here that really gets under the skin of locals. Montana is full and is growing at an alarming rate. Our fear is turning this pristine state into Portland or your hometown in CA. Some things don't need to be broadcasted on every outlet on social media. By all means, make cool videos of your ice fishing adventures! It seems like most of the people who have watched it really liked it. But if you really want to fish these local gems with your kids, instead of just showing them videos of how it used to be, stop posting hyperbolic videos about how this is the best place to fish EVER and how ON FIRE the bite is. You're bummed out that the fishing at Cooney sucks, you'll be bummed out in 10 years when Martinsdale and all your other honey holes are fished out too.

First of all, I am NOT from California nor do I have a hometown there so please don't assume that (as that assumption is very insulting lol). I think you misunderstood what I was saying about it not being like those places.  I was alluding to the fact that there aren't enough people who ice fish here, especially not enough to ruin a lake due to a 600 view Youtube video.  Fishing at Cooney isn't bad right now because of Youtube videos saying how great fishing at Cooney Reservoir is.  I think fishing there sucks because of its close proximity to Billings, its surrounded by campsites, and is a popular boating and camping destination during the summer (due to is being the closest). 

As a side note, I never claimed it was the best place to fish ever, I just said it was my personal best ice fishing experience (and I am still pretty new to Ice Fishing). 

Mizayikaa

« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Just read a report that Ackley is slow. Guess I should tell those boys to bomb over to Martinsdale.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I say we see this hot spoting all the time because it happens. Someone finds a hot perch bite on say CF and it gets out the next weekend there are a 100 guys there and the school gets hammered and is gone.

Montana is not as empty as it looks to an outsider. In that area we only have about four public reservoirs that ice up. Guys will flock to the bite and like I said it is done. Nothing to do with the number of fish stocked, that is irrelevant. The other issue is that the lake becomes a zoo with a four wheelers and dogs running all over.

May seem selfish to some but a 1000 acre reservoir with everyone fishing the north shore ruins it for regulars.

I think the sentiment is clear and it would be great if you respected that by simply not naming places.

Canyon Ferry is pretty well known for being great for ice fishing.  I think the problem in this case is unrelated because it isn't a YouTube video showing someone having fun at Canyon Ferry, but is more all of the people who look forward to fishing it every year finding out it is time to start fishing it again so they show up.  Canyon Ferry usually has a pretty big amount of anglers year round am I wrong?

In regards to the rest of your comment, I guess I am having trouble understanding this consistent mindset of "well it is one of the closer spots to me so people from farther away shouldn't come fish it when the fishing is good, because I am a regular".  Should everyone in Montana only be able to fish spots within an hour of them?  All of these public fishing locations are a shared resource and only wanting the good fishing for yourself doesn't just seem selfish, it is.  All of us pay an annual subscription, to have the privilege, to travel all over our beautiful state and catch all sorts of fish.  As long as we are respecting the places we are fishing and the other anglers enjoying them as well, I don't see what the problem is with having people enjoy the fishing when the fishing is good.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Ether totally clueless or has a different  motive. I would guess the later.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:46 PM »
I can remember a time when ice fishing at canyon ferry was more than a challenge especially for perch. Was that same way for years trout fishing as well until the introduction of the trout from Idaho. At one time a lot of the local myself included back in the day, called the body of water the Dead Sea. Admittedly I have not been on the body of water for quite some time, but I can attest to the days when you were hard pressed to catch 10 perch in a day. I would expect that a lot of that had to do with the fact that on any given day, there would be several hundred folks out on the ice at the silos and then scattered the entire length of the lake. It got so bad that a few years back, FWP actually closed the marina area where they transplanted the rainbows into the lake to spring time fishing simply because folks would tow their campers out there, catch a bucket of trout, take them to the camper and can them and then return to the water to do it again.

I hope I'm not stepping on other folks toes here, but I think what a lot of them are saying is give generalities of your location, unless you want lots and lots of company in the near future and the potential for your experiences of winter fishing at Cooney reservoir.

I recently watched a coyote hunting video sent to me by my future in law filmed in Central Montana that he found on the internet. The two young men did a great job filming, but other than the 2 recognizable landmarks in the background of the video, a person would have never known where they were at. I recognized it almost immediately and shared that with my future in law which drew a chuckle from him.

You're obviously an adult and are pretty much free to do as you wish with your videos, but a few of us that are a bit longer in the tooth can appreciate having a day like you experienced on this one with few folks around. I have little doubt that the ice fishing activity on this reservoir has picked up greatly since the posting of your video.

Offline Icefish MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:58 PM »
This video shows a couple guys catching maybe ten trout. How is it any different than two guys giving a report saying they got a limit? Martinsdale isn’t going to get overfished because somebody posted a cool video of a few mediocre sized rainbows. Settle down folks.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:11 PM »
This video shows a couple guys catching maybe ten trout. How is it any different than two guys giving a report saying they got a limit? Martinsdale isn’t going to get overfished because somebody posted a cool video of a few mediocre sized rainbows. Settle down folks.
It is not the video or saying they got a limit. It is in the title in capital letters "ON FIRE"

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Putting it on you tube probably wouldn't have a huge effect, but blowing it up on here can.  On big waters like Peck, no big deal because it's a huge lake and tons of places to fish when ice is good and folks can drive and it's a long way from anywhere.  When the big perch bite started on holter a couple years ago I posted that my uncle had limited out a couple times one weekend and when he went back the next week there were 150 rigs there and he couldn't find a place to park.  That was an eye opener for me and I'm more selective about what I share on many bodies of water.  I'll usually answer a PM if someone asks, but try not to blow stuff up on the boards.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:49 PM »
You’re not even a Montana resident? Hope someone comes and blows up your favorite local
Water.
And by the way, that video is garbage. Almost comical. Don’t quit your day job over in Oregon.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:05 PM »
You’re not even a Montana resident? Hope someone comes and blows up your favorite local
Water.
And by the way, that video is garbage. Almost comical. Don’t quit your day job over in Oregon.

WOW, brutal.....I'm fairly certain Boomer is a Montana resident & his fishing partner (friend) had flown in from Oregon for his first ice fishing outing !!

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Water.

Easy there buddy, you're getting triggered. 
1st of all: I am a Montana resident. 
2nd of all: I am guessing you didn't even watch the video and just started raging in the forum (because you would have known I live here in Montana if you had you watched the video)

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Canyon Ferry is pretty well known for being great for ice fishing.  I think the problem in this case is unrelated because it isn't a YouTube video showing someone having fun at Canyon Ferry, but is more all of the people who look forward to fishing it every year finding out it is time to start fishing it again so they show up.  Canyon Ferry usually has a pretty big amount of anglers year round am I wrong?

In regards to the rest of your comment, I guess I am having trouble understanding this consistent mindset of "well it is one of the closer spots to me so people from farther away shouldn't come fish it when the fishing is good, because I am a regular".  Should everyone in Montana only be able to fish spots within an hour of them?  All of these public fishing locations are a shared resource and only wanting the good fishing for yourself doesn't just seem selfish, it is.  All of us pay an annual subscription, to have the privilege, to travel all over our beautiful state and catch all sorts of fish.  As long as we are respecting the places we are fishing and the other anglers enjoying them as well, I don't see what the problem is with having people enjoy the fishing when the fishing is good.

My reference to CF is in regard to specific spots, not the whole lake obviously. The perch do school up and when found are very vulnerable, and as we all know they are having a hard time recently. Guys work hard to pattern them and when the word gets out, (recent years even GPS coordinates posted or shared) and suddenly they have a crowd pounding the area.

Please don't puts quotes around comments I did not make which others will then attribute to me.

I have no problem with anyone fishing anywhere, instate or out. I think enough folks have made the hot spotting point as well as could be. Plenty of examples have been pointed out. If you don't understand the issue at this point I would suggest you are not doing yourself nor our resources any favors.   It's your right to hot spot if you want, but concentrating anglers via social media is not good for the resource nor the sport IMO.  It's not all about the catching, making it easy and certainly should not be about self promotion which I fear is a contributing factor in all this video posting craze. Sorry to be blunt.

Like many have said you do a great job of making videos. Nothing more to ad for me. Cheers.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Thank you, couldn't agree more (except for the mediocre part haha). 
Something else to note is that this isn't my first year posting these videos.  I have been doing this for 2 years now and including the name of the location in most of my videos. I have even made 3 other videos on Martinsdale already... yet this is my very first video to get any flak on this topic.  I had never even heard the term "hotspotting" until this post. 
I think people are getting antsy from the tame winter we have been having, not enough hard water out there to keep everyone happy and preoccupied!

Offline Yellowstoner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Guys, it’s just trout. It’s not like he’s giving away a walleye spot.  ;D ;)

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:14 AM »
Guys, it’s just trout. It’s not like he’s giving away a walleye spot.  ;D ;)
Exactly! Let it get fished out and replace them with something edible. Theyre just fancy carp anyways.

Offline Yellowstoner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:32 AM »
Exactly! Let it get fished out and replace them with something edible. Theyre just fancy carp anyways.

Hah!!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:33 AM »

I think people are getting antsy from the tame winter we have been having, not enough hard water out there to keep everyone happy and preoccupied!

Sadly you have now decided to justify your hotspoting by belittling others who have offered their opinions in a civil manner and make their case very well by being condescending and dismissive toward them.  The comments are sincere and actually wise counsel is being offered to you. The statements are not flippant nor made out of frustration.  You might consider stop chopping the hole you are finding yourself in?   Or not, it's your reputation.  ::)

I am imagining someone sawing out a spearing hole while standing on the ice block.. ;D 

Offline chartreusealltheway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Nice video!  Glad to see somebody catching fish through the ice! And sharing for others to experience..... while all these grumpy old men stare at their computer wishing they were there.  Not sure of the legality of keeping whitefish at that lake but cold water whities can be tasty,  especially lake superior whitefish.   Canned these fish are better than tuna.   I gotta get that bobber fish finder! Holy wha that thing rocks!  keep em coming! 

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I have found that you have to be careful what you write on this site because there are a ton of trolls just waiting to pounce.  I once posted that I had caught a sucker and killed it, and people jumped all over me.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:27 AM »
LOL, I got spanked hard about 3 years ago for posting exactly where to go to catch 40"+ pike and 25" + walleye that I was catching.  There was a bounty on my head so I hid away from here and just fished.   ;D

When I came back, I felt like that that poor Chuck Conners as Jason McCord in the 60's TV series "Branded".  My avatar was gone, just like the series, where they rip the stripes off his Jason McCord's shoulder, my avatar is still gone. >:(  I am still butt hurt about it being gone.  Me being sensitive and all.  My feelers still hurt. :'(

Out of all the vids I watch, this one rates up there although I don't like any added music and don't really care for the aerial shots since I am afraid of heights and zooming threw the air gives me vertigo.  Do what you want, it's your vids and your life. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Sadly you have now decided to justify your hotspoting by belittling others who have offered their opinions in a civil manner and make their case very well by being condescending and dismissive toward them.  The comments are sincere and actually wise counsel is being offered to you. The statements are not flippant nor made out of frustration.  You might consider stop chopping the hole you are finding yourself in?   Or not, it's your reputation.  ::)

I am imagining someone sawing out a spearing hole while standing on the ice block.. ;D

Hey Wenger, I apologize if I came off that way.  I was not trying to convey that and was merely trying to lighten up the conversation since it got kind of negative/dark after BloodShotP's post.  I didn't think that comment was belittling or condescending, I was merely saying it in jest, but I can understand how words typed in a Forum can be taken multiple ways. 

I appreciate your insight you have given so far, but almost all of the examples given by you, and especially by others, have dealt with circumstantial, experiential based, evidence.  Someone saying "well I told the forums a couple times about my catches and the next week there were 150 cars" isn't proof that you posting about it had direct causation for the parking lot being full the next week. (not saying you said this, but you referenced others "wise counsel").  You mentioned something in the post before your last about "when the word gets out" and I think that is the perfect explanation. Honestly I think it is a team effort. 
Let's say 15 people are some of the early die hards out on the ice and let's say most of them catch some nice fish and go tell some of their friends and fishing buddies about the great weekend they had.  Now their fishing buddies are all telling their friends about it as well, and the news spreads exponentially from there. Maybe 1 or 2 of those guys even posts on the forum about it and shares a photo or video that draws a few more groups to want to head there.  All in all, people love fishing and yes hearing a spot is good and/or has safe ice for fishing draws some additional people to go there and do what they love.  However, to try and draw direct causality for "ruining" a fishing location based on a Youtube video and social media post is still, in my opinion, unfounded and silly. 

Also I think it is VERY interesting point (a point you completely ignored when you decided to respond by saying I was being condescending and belittling) that I have been making these videos for 2 years now and it took 84 videos until I heard about this being an issue and the term "hotspotting".  Any explanation or ideas why that is the case?  Wouldn't my other videos on Martinsdale about how great the fishing was have ruined the spot already and we shouldn't be having this conversation? My first video on Martinsdale released April of 2017 has over 1k views and in the title says my wife and I both catching our PB rainbow trout, AND was spread ALL over social media and yet Martinsdale mysteriously still isn't ruined or overfished? How does that make sense?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Hey Wenger, I apologize if I came off that way.  I was not trying to convey that and was merely trying to lighten up the conversation since it got kind of negative/dark after BloodShotP's post.  I didn't think that comment was belittling or condescending, I was merely saying it in jest, but I can understand how words typed in a Forum can be taken multiple ways. 

I appreciate your insight you have given so far, but almost all of the examples given by you, and especially by others, have dealt with circumstantial, experiential based, evidence.  Someone saying "well I told the forums a couple times about my catches and the next week there were 150 cars" isn't proof that you posting about it had direct causation for the parking lot being full the next week. (not saying you said this, but you referenced others "wise counsel").  You mentioned something in the post before your last about "when the word gets out" and I think that is the perfect explanation. Honestly I think it is a team effort. 
Let's say15 people are some of the early die hards out on the ice and let's say most of them catch some nice fish and go tell some of their friends and fishing buddies about the great weekend they had.  Now their fishing buddies are all telling their friends about it as well, and the news spreads exponentially from there. Maybe 1 or 2 of those guys even posts on the forum about it and shares a photo or video that draws a few more groups to want to head there.  All in all, people love fishing and hearing a spot is good and/or has safe ice for fishing draws people to go there and do what they love.  To try and draw direct causality based on a Youtube video and social media post is still, in my opinion, unfounded and silly. 

Also I think it is VERY interesting point (a point you completely ignored when you decided to respond by saying I was being condescending and belittling) that I have been making these videos for 2 years now and it took 84 videos until I heard about this being an issue and the term "hotspotting".  Any explanation or ideas why that is the case?  Wouldn't my other videos on Martinsdale about how great the fishing was have ruined the spot already and we shouldn't be having this conversation? My first video on Martinsdale released April of 2017 has over 1k views and in the title says my wife and I both catching our PB rainbow trout, AND was spread ALL over social media and yet Martinsdale mysteriously still isn't ruined or overfished? How does that make sense?

Someone will find a bubble gum wrapper and say "see, that BoomerFTW guy caused this". :roflmao: 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:35 PM »
so you're saying social media has  no effect eh? that's interesting....and ignorant.
Read through it again, I didn't say that. I was saying a single Youtube video and forum post can't ruin a fishing spot.  The combined effort of word of mouth, social media, and etc can increase traffic to an area for sure, but claiming me posting about my trip is going to ruin fishing there is a baseless claim.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:00 PM »
yeah you did say it, twice now(at least). And several people have given you direct examples.

Believe what you want to believe I suppose.  I never claimed there was "0" effects and even from the very beginning said I would be happy if a few more groups of people went there and had a good time like I did.  My point is, and has always been, that I am not single handedly ruining the fishing at Martinsdale with my video/posts.

Don't you find it ironic that everyone getting mad at me for drawing attention to a specific fishing spot have been unintentionally (and hypocritically) been doing just that by continuing to bump this forum post to the top of the Montana section for the last 3 days now? 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #57 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Seems like to the "t", whenever this subject comes up, the OP always defends themselves with any and every justification. They never even attempt to think about the comments and where the other side of the conversation is coming from...

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Seems like to the "t", whenever this subject comes up, the OP always defends themselves with any and every justification. They never even attempt to think about the comments and where the other side of the conversation is coming from...

When I did it, I didn't defend myself, I just deleted the post and fished.  I am not mad at BoomerFTW either.  This same thing is what the Montana Reports and Conditions kinda provides.  Also BoomerFTW, I am not the kind of guy that fishes where someone else catches.  BoomerFTW, test me, PM me all GPS coordinates where you have been catching fish, please include the bait or lures used for each location..... for data research.   ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:25 PM »
I’ll be interested in hearing a before- and after-the-video headcount of anglers from regular users of Martinsdale. 🤔

Easiest way I've ever seen to blow up a spot is put in on social media for all to see.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.