The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: BEST WAY TO LAND BIG FISH ON LIGHT LINE 6 LB. TEST  (Read 1038 times)

Offline fishin4food

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on !
BEST WAY TO LAND BIG FISH ON LIGHT LINE 6 LB. TEST
« on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:40 AM »
If you fish   8 lb test bites slow  with 6 lb test  bites on   but we always  seem to loose the really big ones.
i just lost a tout  my wife had on for 10 mins.  Couldnt get the head started in the hole.
so i tried to force the fish to bring its head in the hole..broke off ...this isnt the first time......
should a buy a small spear and stick em?
thanks
your comments welcome  please
joe
JOEY  SMITH  FISHIN4FOOD

Tinker

Re: BEST WAY TO LAND BIG FISH ON LIGHT LINE 6 LB. TEST
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Patience.  Oh and don't horse them in ;D  I usually run a bit of a light drag (probably a bit too light) and almost always loosen it on a good fish when it gets close to the hole or boat (let em run if they need to, especially on a short line).  I don't think you can legally spear them but a golf club from a second hand store for a buck or 2 and a big treble makes a good gaff.  If you can find a big treble the eye is likely too big to fit in the end of a cut off golf club, use a propane torch to heat it red hot and you can pound it a bit smaller.  Slip it in the end of the club, drill a hole through the club so you can run a cross pin to hold the hook (I usually just use a nail about the same size as the hole I drilled and hammer it to flatten the end so it becomes a rivet, cut that nail first so there is just about an 1/8 inch sticking out or it will just bend, or you could just bend over a long nail).  I then add a few wraps of electrical tape over my rivet so it doesn't snag or damage the line.   

Offline fishin4food

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:15 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO..
I DID CALL  FWP   IN  HELENA  JASON THE WARDEN THERE SAID  A  SPEAR TO GAFF  THESE HUGH TROUT WOULD BE OK..
AS LONG  YOUR KEEPING THEM,,  I JUST ORDERED ONLINE  A 3 POINT FROGGIN  SPEAR 1.5 INCHES WIDE  $4.79  FREE SHIPPING ON EBAY...JUST ATTACH IT TO A WOOD POLE...
THANKS
JOE
JOEY  SMITH  FISHIN4FOOD

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Don't force them...personally the only fish i lose on 6 or 8 lb are toothy critters. 6lb test, a good drag/reel and a rod that's not too stiff and you'll be good. Never ever ever force the fish. Guide it. Don't lift the fish by just the line. Guide it into the hole gently. It'll come eventually. Lift it out with your hands, not by the line. It astounds me how many people I see lifting the fish with the pole/line. That's fine for panfish, but even then. The hook likes to pop out. Don't be afraid to get your hands wet to pull the fish out of the hole. I always bring a towel on the ice to dry my hands/wipe the slime off.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline KDK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Better get that in writing.
Life is simple, people make it complicated

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Better get that in writing.

It's already in writing...Page 16 of the regs. "GAFF: A hook attached directly to a pole (metal or wooden shaft) or other device. Use of gaffs is permitted only to help land a fish that was lawfully hooked."
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline tiptoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2016, 12:56 PM »
DEAR FISHIN4FOOD,
If you are planning to kill the fish that you can't pull through the hole with hook and line, a hooked gaff may be the best tool for the job. I have seen them at every major sporting goods retailer that has an ice fishing section. A frog gig seems like it will only present a new set of challenges. However, please let us know how it works out.

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Fire ice line I use 2lb and landed a bunch of 4+ lb trout and like others said don't horse em in and drag set

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2016, 03:51 PM »
So now these fish you lose will have 3 spear holes in em before they sink to the bottom...

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Yeah, you might have some crappy line. 6lbs should be plenty for most any trout... like stated before reel drag and some finesse is all it should take to land the big ones. And a well timed scoop with your hand once that head comes through the hole is all the gaff you'll ever need! Good luck doesn't hurt either...

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Agreed, you never want to force them....and your 6lb test shouldn't break like that unless it's old or poor quality line. I would recommend filling your spools with some 6LB Northland Bionic Ice Line, or some 6LB Berkley Trilene Micro Ice.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Are you sure a "frog spear" is considered a "gaff"???  IF you can't get him up with the line.....HOW is he gonna come up with a spear in the middle of his back????   How much ice are you talkin pleeze?  Can you cone out the bottom like and inverted funnel! IF you believe 8 pound test is restrictin bites...try a good fluorocarbon. And as been said.... MORE patience!  O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2016, 05:03 PM »
I believe the original issue is getting the fishes head started into the hole...and sometimes you need to stick the rod tip way down in there to do just that...if you have a rod that isn't quite up to giving you the power you need...thats about the only option.  THEN you can lift straight up, and not have the rod bending in half.

I like 8# main line myself, then leader of 6# or even 4# about 10" below a small swivel...and new line EVERY year and trimming the last 6-8' off every couple trips helps the broken line issue.

Hope that helps.

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Like everyone has already mentioned you need to be patient. When you hook into a big fish the hardest part can be getting the head started in the hole. To me it sounds like as soon as you see the fish after a long fight you go into panic mode and try hurry up and land the fish. Even with a gaff you are going to have to wait for the head so you can pull it up through the hole.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Pretty sure a big trout will not fit through a ice hole sideways after you spear them.  Use new line, check your knots, and set your drag.  I often have to get larger fish in the hole multiple times before they are calm enough to land them.  Just have to stay calm yourself, you can freak out when they are on the ice ;)

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I've also used a ice scoop to pull em thru turn it under the ice then when they get to the edge scoop em toward the hole but use a plastic one metal would cut and chafe line on a sudden run

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2016, 07:06 PM »
This how i land a big fish on 3# test P Line. Pure Luck i think on pike.
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.