The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Caommercial Fishing  (Read 8326 times)

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canyon Ferry Caommercial Fishing
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:33 PM »
What's wrong with the trout fishin we hammer them year round and don't even try through the ice

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2014, 08:33 PM »
^^^EXACTLY^^^

Offline Jig like a spider monkey!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:36 PM »
What's wrong with the trout fishin we hammer them year round and don't even try through the ice

It's not bad, but not what it was...

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:07 PM »
It's not bad, but not what it was...

Nothing is like it used 2 be. Something's better. 1 thing I know is there is nothing wrong with the trout fishing in canyon ferry. I will post pics for u on my fishfinder here when the ice comes off some days we have 50-60 fish days. I'd even take u out an give u some lessons if need be. Not saying I'm an expert but I've put my fair share of time on CF by boat, hard water, n land.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Boom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:34 PM »
Nothing is like it used 2 be. Something's better. 1 thing I know is there is nothing wrong with the trout fishing in canyon ferry. I will post pics for u on my fishfinder here when the ice comes off some days we have 50-60 fish days. I'd even take u out an give u some lessons if need be. Not saying I'm an expert but I've put my fair share of time on CF by boat, hard water, n land.

You're probably right... And you make a good point, I always ice fished canyon ferry, not too often during the summer.  Personally, I preferred the days when a guy could put out some dead sets and jig one hole for perch...   I'd take a 7 trout and 30 perch day over these 2 trout and no perch days anyday.  If you're having 60 fish days for trout you're either sitting in the Bays while they are trying to spawn, parked your boat at the outflow of the hatchery truck, or you're smoking something pretty cool! ..... oh yeah.... BOOM.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:43 PM »
I'm sure that if you say you have 60 trout days, then you do.  most people don't though.  Simple fact is the walleye decimated the perch population..  And they were alot of fun to catch, especially as a kid.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Still are best year I've had on perch out there

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:59 PM »
He also said we have not I have 50-60 fish days

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:04 AM »
I fish with strippn we do pretty good. Can take you out, post pics or whatever. The trout are doin fine in canyon ferry and hauser and holter and the whole Missouri River system.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:07 AM »
You're probably right... And you make a good point, I always ice fished canyon ferry, not too often during the summer.  Personally, I preferred the days when a guy could put out some dead sets and jig one hole for perch...   I'd take a 7 trout and 30 perch day over these 2 trout and no perch days anyday.  If you're having 60 fish days for trout you're either sitting in the Bays while they are trying to spawn, parked your boat at the outflow of the hatchery truck, or you're smoking something pretty cool! ..... oh yeah.... BOOM.

This is only a couple trips out there this hard water season. Have had alot more that we didn't take pics. N yea 50-60 fish days is not a lie there r other members on this site that can confirm that. Canyon ferry is still an awesome fishery.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Fna cotton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:31 AM »

This is only a couple trips out there this hard water season. Have had alot more that we didn't take pics. N yea 50-60 fish days is not a lie there r other members on this site that can confirm that. Canyon ferry is still an awesome fishery.

Nice catches!  I didn't see 60 trout on the ice though? And I never said canyon ferry isn't a good fishery, I said it used to be better.  Oh, and why were you keeping 5 inch walleye?  For bait?  :)

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:25 PM »
You guys are cracking me up. Lots of good fish days for me on CF this year and every year since I have been fishing it. Not as long as many of you but long enough to know it's doing just fine. Thin some carp if you like otherwise leave it alone and add some more Christmas trees for perch structure!

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Strippn:
No need to prove your worth as a fisherman. You've obviously got it down for several species. Even if the ice looks like a warzone when you're through. You must eat fish at every meal.

Offline DoogieMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Have a buddy that commercially fishes for them through the ice in MN, the Asians in Minneapolis love carp. There its more of a live market though. Bycatch shouldn't be a issue,with seining everything is gathered up in a big purse seine, on that scale you could pick whatever you dont want out. Its what they do to catch Herring in AK. The Herring are still alive till they are pumped into the freezing cold chilled water of the tender. YouTube tuna or herring seining.

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Carp were imported to America as a food source for the Chinese who built the railroads in the 1800s.  They actually are very good to eat, but don't try to eat one if you don't have a way to soften the bones.  The most popular way to eat them is can them like salmon.  Another way is to scale them and then score them to the backbone in very thin slices, then drop them in boiling oil.  They are a very easy fish to catch with dough balls made of alfalfa pellets, Karo syrup, and a binder.  I know Mexicans, Asians, African-Americans, and Caucasians who like them as well as, or better than, walleyes and crappie.
Carp and buffalo are the two most-harvested commercial fish in Oklahoma, and the commercial guys have no real effect on their populations.

And whoever put the carp into Clark Canyon is a........  Two years ago, there was a flotilla of carp strung out from Hap Hawkins campground all the way back to the middle of the north side of Rebich Island. 

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:43 AM »
I'm sure that if you say you have 60 trout days, then you do.  most people don't though.  Simple fact is the walleye decimated the perch population..  And they were alot of fun to catch, especially as a kid.

I'm not quite a 50-60 guy but I'm sure enough a 35-40 guy.  I've had to reel up lines and beach the boat just so we could eat sandwiches and drink our beers.  Man my cheeks were hurting that day from smiling so much.  Now through early April on Upper Holter and ice out through early May on Hauser and Canyon Ferry.  Pull big Rapalas in all colors and several sizes of floaters in rainbow trout pattern and see who really eats all the trout.  It ain't the walleye!

Fish like this and bigger all day.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2014, 02:14 AM »
I'm not quite a 50-60 guy but I'm sure enough a 35-40 guy.  I've had to reel up lines and beach the boat just so we could eat sandwiches and drink our beers.  Man my cheeks were hurting that day from smiling so much.  Now through early April on Upper Holter and ice out through early May on Hauser and Canyon Ferry.  Pull big Rapalas in all colors and several sizes of floaters in rainbow trout pattern and see who really eats all the trout.  It ain't the walleye!

(Image removed from quote.)
Fish like this and bigger all day.

Jay

Just like I said in an earlier post... You're  just sitting over a bunch of spawners trying to spawn in the Bays...  You could drag a hub cap through there and catch 40 of them...  Kind of like netting 50 guppies out of a fish bowl and high fiving and chest bumping about it.  Those fish aren't actively feeding, they are biting through aggression and reflex (check their stomachs if you don't believe me).  I'm glad you had fun, and there's nothing wrong with that, ....  But I still think that, fishing used to be better at canyon ferry than it is currently.... It's not bad, but used to be better.     And yes, I get it, you're a better fisherman than everyone else, and I wish I was you! .... Oh wait, no I don't!  :)

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:14 AM »
For the record, FWP has been dumping about 300,000 rainbows in CF for years. They've been releasing larger 'bows (8-inchers) in recent years specifically because of the impacts of walleye on the trout population.

Sure, there still are some dandy 'eyes in CF but it was interesting that last year's winning tournament team entered 10 fish with a total weight of less than 20 pounds.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Just like I said in an earlier post... You're  just sitting over a bunch of spawners trying to spawn in the Bays...  You could drag a hub cap through there and catch 40 of them...  Kind of like netting 50 guppies out of a fish bowl and high fiving and chest bumping about it.  Those fish aren't actively feeding, they are biting through aggression and reflex (check their stomachs if you don't believe me).  I'm glad you had fun, and there's nothing wrong with that, ....  But I still think that, fishing used to be better at canyon ferry than it is currently.... It's not bad, but used to be better.     And yes, I get it, you're a better fisherman than everyone else, and I wish I was you! .... Oh wait, no I don't!  :)

"Spawners in the bays"...  ::) I don't fish the bays.  I'm not fishing at the boat ramp where they release the stockers.

So they are spawning in 12-18 feet of water in the canyon at Gates of the Mountains?  They are spawning in the causeway arm and along the cliffs at York bridge?  None of these areas have stream inlets that would attract spawning fish.  They are travel corridors that do funnel fish movement.  As for only reaction strikes?  Come one man!  These fish are chasing these lures down and eating them at 1.5- 2 mph and ALWAYS caught on the rear treble hook.  This means they are taking the bait from behind as fish that are just slapping at the lure are mostly caught on the front hook.  The fish that I have kept had stomachs that were mostly empty with some insect type material in their digestive track.

Don't worry, I don't want to be you either.  ;D  I have a great job that allows me 1/2 the year off to hunt and fish, I have a great wife and kids who love the outdoors, and I still live in Montana and get to fish and hunt here when ever I want to.  ;)

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline halijigmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 21, 2014, 12:31 PM »
Half the year off collecting Unemployment...that's something to brag about.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Foul. 

Take it out on the carp, boys.   ;D

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Couple of real nonyas on this thread...

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Lol.  I didn't realize his handle was in common usage across other MT message boards.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Half the year off collecting Unemployment...that's something to brag about.

Who said anything about collecting unemployment there moron!  I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off AKA I work 1/2 the year as in 182.5 days a year and 183 days a year on leap year.  But I get 2 weeks paid vacation too sot it's really only 169 days a year and I make 6 figures.  So Mr. halijigmt, get your facts straight internet Rambo!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline halijigmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Excuuse me mr bigshot!Ive got no use for guys who use the MT state unemployment fund for their hunting/fishing fund every fall/winter and you know as well as I do many of them reside here.Its too bad you spend all those days off on the internet bragging about your hunting/fishing/money!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 21, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Excuuse me mr bigshot!Ive got no use for guys who use the MT state unemployment fund for their hunting/fishing fund every fall/winter and you know as well as I do many of them reside here.

Thanks.  Mr Bigshot has a nice ring to it.  I prefer Mr. Workedhardgotaneducati onandearnsagoodwagebec auseofit but your nick name rolls off the tongue better.

Jay

P.S. Nice edit rookie...
Take a kid fishing.

Offline halijigmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Im sure you have lots of fancy names for yourself,try jackhole,it sums you up!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 21, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Im sure you have lots of fancy names for yourself,try jackass,it sums you up!
I was voted Jack of the Year in one fishing club.  I was also voted Angler of the Year also so no worries Rambo.  If you took the time to meet and fish with me you'd probably have a different view of me.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.